Should the dog be destoyed?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 48 69.6%
  • 2. No

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • 3.Not enough information undecided

Votes: 10 14.5%

• Total voters
I read the post and what everybody else has said.
I have to agree that the dog needs to be put down. I was bit on my ear by a neighbors dog while I was playing with it. The dog was licking my face and ears making me laugh and he got me. To this day I cannot stand to have a dog lick me, even my own dog. The neighbor girls hated me after that because their dad took the dog away and had him put down.
I had to put down my dog Blue when he attempted an attack on my mother. I didn't trust him after that. Hated to do it, but I had to think of both my child and our friends kids who have dogs. Couldn't trust him anymore.

As nice as Bandit may always be at all other times the owner has a responsibility. They need to step up and do the right thing even if it means putting the dog down.

I might change my opinion if it turns out that the child was invited over on a play date by the parents of the biting dog. If you invite kids to your home and yard and have access to the dog as they play then I would think you would be liable. Everything would teeter on rather the kid was tresspassing or invited to play in the yard.

There is a bigger issue here, landowner rights. If you agree that the dog owner is wrong the way the laws and court system work it is another step in giving home invaders rights over owners ahving the right to protect there self and there property. Also who wants to be sued because some idiot comes on there land and messes with there bull or falls in a well. It is a slippery slope and some people want to through there rights away.

I'd put the dog down.

Would y'all keep an aggressive bull around?

We had a dog once (way before I was old enough to remember, but my parents told me the story) who attacked the 8 y/o neighbor girl who came over to play; I'm told she was allowed to come over anytime and had frequently played with the dog before... and one day something just snapped. 130 stitches to the back of her head. The law required the dog be impounded for at least 2 weeks to watch for signs of rabies... my folks insisted he be put down at the end of the required time frame.

Apparently the insurance company tried to talk my folks out of it... some comment about "oh, I'm sure we could find him a nice home out in the country".... :roll: but that'd be another topic. :lol: :p

Agree the dog is a liability as a family pet. This is a valuable dog for a guard dog in a wire house or whatever.

hillsdown":1p16jjtx said:
"He should be dead and up in heaven," agreed Jayden. "He's a mean doggy."

I have a hard time denying wishes of little girls. Judge wouldn't have to get involved - not at first anyway. ;-) :lol2:

backhoeboogie":18gvhsny said:
If the dog were mine, I'd put it down.

But if a kid goes into the pasture and is injured by one of my cows, I wouldn't blame it on the cow.

The dog was chained on the owner's property. It is the owner's right to own such an animal so long as he/she takes proper measures to ensure the dog doesn't escape.

Just out of respect for the little girl, the owner should put the dog down. Since it is at this point, I can only assume that the little girl was not supposed to be where she was. What owner would let that happen? What parent would let their child get that close? Where were the parents? The courts should not be able to force this. This would set a precidence resulting in any dog that bites anyone should be put down, including police dogs.

How bout if we just pull the teeth from all the police dogs like we have from the police themselves?
could we still have police dogs then?
who would care?
don't worry bout my dogs biting you. they are just supposed to bark to wake us up so we can shoot you.

You left out one important option in the poll, "Mind my own business"!

I would put the dog down. I wander if he had a history of biting people before and why the dog was tied. I know people tie their dogs all the time which is fine. Here in Pa a dog has three chances before the are put down for biting depending on the dog.

pdfangus":5ejaphuk said:
backhoeboogie":5ejaphuk said:

But if a kid goes into the pasture and is injured by one of my cows, I wouldn't blame it on the cow.

The dog was chained on the owner's property. It is the owner's right to own such an animal so long as he/she takes proper measures to ensure the dog doesn't escape.

Just out of respect for the little girl, the owner should put the dog down. Since it is at this point, I can only assume that the little girl was not supposed to be where she was. What owner would let that happen? What parent would let their child get that close? Where were the parents? The courts should not be able to force this. This would set a precidence resulting in any dog that bites anyone should be put down, including police dogs.

How bout if we just pull the teeth from all the police dogs like we have from the police themselves?
who would care?
don't worry bout my dogs biting you. they are just supposed to bark to wake us up so we can shoot you.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Police dogs are not kept in residentual areas on chains. They are kept in kennels with no public access.

To me it is a no brainer, if the girl tresspassed the family of the girl is to blame. If the girl was invited or knowingly allowed to play in the yard with access to the dog then the dogs owners are probably liable.

It is a shame though with so many people allowing their dogs to run loose that a person who shows some personal responsibility by keeping their dog chained is put into this difficult situation.

aplusmnt":2lzfvlgm said:
pdfangus":2lzfvlgm said:
backhoeboogie":2lzfvlgm said:

who would care?

You are comparing apples to oranges. Police dogs are not kept in residentual areas on chains. They are kept in kennels with no public access.

To me it is a no brainer, if the girl tresspassed the family of the girl is to blame. If the girl was invited or knowingly allowed to play in the yard with access to the dog then the dogs owners are probably liable.

It is a shame though with so many people allowing their dogs to run loose that a person who shows some personal responsibility by keeping their dog chained is put into this difficult situation.

I apologize for the comparison to police dogs. My point was the precedence for a biting dog.

If I wanted a cow dog, I'd probably get a blue heeler. If I wanted to quail hunt, English setters are my favorite. Someone wanted a watchdog and they kept it on a chain. They have a right to do so.

We are not talking about little Fifi who runs the house and is "One of the family." This is a Rot and he was probably doing what he is bred to do.

Maybe he was being taunted. Maybe not.

Hopefully the little girl will be just fine no matter what happens. It could have been worse.

As a dog lover and life long dog owner......

I would opine that the owner who has to tie a dog in the back yard is the proper candidate for being put down.

not enough info for me...someone should have been watching that child....not the older brother.

Makes you feel horrible for both sides.

I have friends who will come visit with their children....ages 5 to 12. When my dog hears the kid's voice, she's gone. She usually runs and hides under the bed, so does my cat. Most of the time both are fine with visitors, as long as you're not trying to poke your finger in their eye. Even the neighbor's cat comes and stays at my house. I know that is usually when the neighbor's granddaughters are there visiting.

aplusmnt":1ali8z9o said:
pdfangus":1ali8z9o said:
backhoeboogie":1ali8z9o said:

who would care?

sorry to say that is where you are wrong. Police dogs are only in cages during their working day while not in the field, at the end of the day they go home with their handlers to their family homes. That is here and in the States. I know a few dog handlers and have had dealings with police dogs. At home they are quite the softies, roll over and have a good old belly rub and love to play. My Uncle used to train the dogs, both for catching people, drug and bomb sniffers.

chrisy":3kejjt7j said:
My Uncle used to train the dogs, both for catching people, drug and bomb sniffers.

chrisy - Ask your uncle what group gets bitten the most by police dogs.

I am with most folks who posted, if I fear it and don't really understand it, kill it and be sure the problem is solved. Way too much effort goes into solving problems a simple bullet would fix.

Ok, I do not think the dog should be put down, or, it should be the choice of the owner.

Let's change the circumstance just for what if's...

The dog is in your house, a stranger, trips and falls through the door, and your dog attacks.... see where I'm going?

The dog was chained, on the owners property.

Whether the girl was invited or not, the dog was properly restrained. Regardless of the dogs history.

Saying that, even if this was the 1st time the dog hurt someone, it would of been target practice before the EMT's ever arrived.

Michele

chrisy - Ask your uncle what group gets bitten the most by police dogs.

ALX what "group" would that be?

I would put the dog down if it were mine however I do not have animals that attack people, let alone little children.My big collie has been known to bite men on the @ss occasionally :lol2: .They have to be wearing coveralls though.There is a warning sign at my gate and you would be stupid to get out of your vehicle with him there ( he has a vicious bark).But truth be known all three are big babies and Bo will bite men in coveralls because he was a rescue days away from being euthanized when we adopted him.Someone had starved him and taken the boots to him pretty good.Someone who wore coveralls? :!: He weighed 37lbs and had 5 broken ribs :mad: .His normal weight now is 80 - 90 lbs.

If any of my dogs were that aggressive at anytime it would scare me [email protected] would have them euthanized and wonder where I went wrong.

I do not know what the purpose of this dog was though, maybe it was a trained guard/attack dog something I could never own even though I am by myself 70% of the time.

Latest posts