what would u cross an angus with?

Help Support CattleToday:

Emily,
A lot rides on what you're trying to achieve with your outcross.

Different breeds for different reasons.

Some examples:
1. climate (hot,wet,cold,arid)

2. forage (how many acres are they going to have to cover to keep themselves in condition - sometimes goes hand in hand with climate)

3. local market (it's nice to get a fair return on your investment, which can be difficult if no one in your area wants to buy what you're sellling)

and finally

4. eye appeal (hey, you're going to be dealing with them, so they should at least look good to the folks paying the bills)

I'm sure there's plenty of other reasons. These are just off the top of my head, so take into account the source. ;-)

Take care and good luck with your dilemna (sp?).

I agree with CattleAnnie on everything! With all that being said, I like the Angus/Simmental Cross personally. [/b]

:lol: we have angus- hereford cross and angus- limousin
cross ( these have been real money makers at the sale barn
feeder calves) :lol:

We like the Hereford/Angus....just love them baldies. Have a Limi heifer bred to our red angus bull and are looking forward to the calf, could be our direction...who knows. DMc

emily...,
In our commercial herd we have several hereford limi crosses. We get a tan colored cow(some say they are yellow) with white face and sometimes motley and sometimes white boots. Good mothers,milk,udders best disposition i have seen,good phenotype, breds back fast and easy to keep.

We breed them to a good angus bull and most often get a black motley faced baldie calf with growth vigor and sells for top dollar in these parts. They equal or surpass the other crosses in the herd and often matches the purebreed angus results we get in the registered herd.

We contract with a neighbor who is a die-hard hereford man with good genetics in his herd. We furnish the Limi bull and he the cows. Whatever he gets for the other calves from his normal sale program we add .10%. and take the heifers.

He just informed us that he plans to keep some of the spring heifers we expected to arrive any day. Humm!

If I had some pure black angus cows and was going the crossbred route, I'd most likely use either a Balancer, Gelbvieh, or (Polled) Hereford. Possibly a Tarentais or Charolais, too. The Balancer and Gelbvieh would be good for muscling for steers and milk for replacements. Hereford for the classic Ballie cow, which goes pretty well in any auction. Charolais for that good old smokey animal that a lot of feedlots love. Finally, Tarentaise would be good for some rugged and strong high milkers, plus its a good dose of "outside" genetics for future breeding possibilities. But those are just my opinions.

Seems I already answered this same question in the "What is your favorite breed & why" post. A lot of folks gave their recommendations based upon the info provided. Are you looking for something more? If so, please clarify.

clarify ay?

well everyone around here breeds angus so I ws sort of hoping that someone had a breed that siuted the climate but isn't an angus something like an angus cross, or something else.

emily_22":11n5yk9r said:
clarify ay?

well everyone around here breeds angus so I ws sort of hoping that someone had a breed that siuted the climate but isn't an angus something like an angus cross, or something else.

No such thing as 'like an angus, but not an angus' that I'm aware of. Each breed is unique and brings different things to the table. I would suggest you take a look at the responses you received on both this thread as well as the 'favorite breed and why' thread, do some research and make your own decision. As most of the members of this board are American's they cannot possibly advise, without a rather large margin of error, as to a breed that will work in your country. I don't mean to be harsh or unhelpful here, it's simply a matter of geography - how can one advise about a country that they haven't lived in? Just my thoughts.

Miss camp is sure dead on about the geography..we sure cant tell you what to use
You didnt say if you were wanting to cross an Angus cow or an Angus bull did you?? Id cross an Angus bull witha Hereford cow or a baldy cow..Id cross an angus cow witha Herford bull

Emily,

If you take all of the responses you received from both of the threads you started, and set up a tally to evaluate the popularity of the cross options provided, I think you'll see a clear winner. Also, since you've already stated that you have Angus heifers/cows, that means the predominant opinion voiced on this board is crossing them with a Hereford bull. Sure, there were lots of "other" options, but from what I read, the majority suggested a Hereford cross somewhere in their reply. This is also assuming that you want to cross them with another breed.

Now, I still think you need to research the level of demand for black baldy calves in your area. If they sell well, I think the choice is clear.

emily_22":3vuwgqzv said:
clarify ay?

Angus X Hereford is about the most popular cross going, just about anywheres.

I have been in most of the western states. I would recommend Herefords they live everywhere and produce my only problem is I dont have enough. Good Luck with whatever you decide. Just can't beat a good horned Hereford Bull or Cow. :cboy:

Brahman works extremely well
blackf1.jpg

Latest posts