What we deal with on a DAILY basis

Help Support CattleToday:

Speaking of chainsaws. One of these same two is always talking about how much he loves to cut wood and run a chainsaw, that's what his daddy did and that man cut tons of wood every year. Anyway he was cutting the angle on the end of wooden fence post and ran the saw with pure gas, no oil. Had the gas an oil there too, don't know how he messed up this bad but anyway I'm buying a new saw next week. But he's also the one that did 13 years on a 8 year verdict. Again :bang: :bang: :bang:

Had a new guy one time that was working a discrepancy list. One was "Brakes are excessively noisy". So, this guy attaches a tow bar to the plane, and moves the plane back and forth, listening for the "noise". Sure nuff, the brakes are squeaky, making that chirp-chirp noise brake pads do, when they are worn down to the rivets........He greased the brake disc :shock: Well, they didn't squeak anymore. :lol2:

Then there was the guy who was repairing a leaky oil pan (aluminum pan). His plan was to weld the cracked pan without removing the pan from engine, or engine from aircraft. So, he was aware that he would need to drain the oil, and necessarily clean the area good enough to weld. His method (He did this on his lunch break, while everyone including myself was away), involved filling the crankcase/oil pan with solvent, then draining. He repeated this several times. He then removed the oil dipstick from the oil filler neck, and poked a solvent sprayer down into the case (atomized solvent). He removed sprayer, and sat the dipstick (not him; the oil dipstick), back on the neck. His problems began when he realized that solvent was weeping out the crack he intended to weld, and opted for a propane torch to "dry out the crack". He was still shaking when I got there, the dipstick punched a hole in the roof of the hangar, the cracked oil pan was now a bulging oil pan, and we would later learn that numerous engine gaskets leaked. Who knew?

One more...
A guy goes to the tool room for a soldering iron. There are 2 to choose from, both 110v electric. They are identical. But he knows one of them doesn't work, and is heard mumbling something about how he "always picks out the bad one" as he walks from the tool room. Well, he did pick the bad one, and instead of just tagging it "INOP", or even throwing it in the trash, he desides on a permanent solution; he cut the cord with wire cutters, while it was still plugged in :shock: . We called an ambulance on that one. I don't know what it is about 110v, some people just can't handle it.

I blame myself

Angus Cowman":2rzov03b said:
They thought I wasn't around yesterday and the Boss had them checking an electric fence for shorts and weeds
I had pulled in and was helping the Boss when Johnny calls the boss and tells him that a gate or section of fence was laying on the ground popping and was wondering what he should do about it

I know now why Jed wanted me to come help him it wasn't the work it was just so he could take a break from the help and push them of on me

His phone will ring and he will hand it to me and say its your help talk to them then he gave them MY phone #

Thats ok I am gettiing even he thinks i am going to be moving out of the big house shortly I have a surprise for him
I AM STAYING FOREVER
Well, at least I know if things hit the fan for me there is a place I am qualified to work. :banana: I don't need my own wing of the house, just a room will do. :lol:

Isomade":gsp1vfh3 said:
Angus Cowman":gsp1vfh3 said:
They thought I wasn't around yesterday and the Boss had them checking an electric fence for shorts and weeds
I had pulled in and was helping the Boss when Johnny calls the boss and tells him that a gate or section of fence was laying on the ground popping and was wondering what he should do about it

I know now why Jed wanted me to come help him it wasn't the work it was just so he could take a break from the help and push them of on me

His phone will ring and he will hand it to me and say its your help talk to them then he gave them MY phone #

Thats ok I am gettiing even he thinks i am going to be moving out of the big house shortly I have a surprise for him
I AM STAYING FOREVER
Well, at least I know if things hit the fan for me there is a place I am qualified to work. :banana: I don't need my own wing of the house, just a room will do. :lol:
We have a big chunk of unfinished attic.

I wanted to make sure I was qualified Jed. So this morning I went out and hooked the ranger battery up to the charger and it worked! Then I proceeded to fill up mineral feeders and actually moved them to pastures where cows were. I hope this doesn't make me over qualified.... I guess I could always be ACs right hand man.

These storys make me feel a little better about the hired hand that couldn't keep working one morning because the tractor was acting up.

Come to find out he had drained all the oil out.
(It was just too hot to work that morning.)

WOW!
I used to get stressed by the guy who would stand near the gate I was trying to draft cattle thru and wave his arms as the animals came towards him and expect them to go past him! Or he would pat them on the head whilst in the crush and while i was trying vaccinate.

I had a customer that had an employee go out to scrape corrals on the only piece of equipment on the place that was OSHA certified to be safe. He pulled up to the gate (which is a steep downhill from the road) popped it out of gear, left the scraper up, and didn't set the brakes as he jumped off to open the gate... The front left tire caught up to him about halfway to the gate and both tractor tires and the scraper went over him. The tractor busted the chains on the gate and the jersey bulls came out and rolled him around a few times.
Luckily for him he lived with nothing majorly busted. He tried to sue but for once eveyone just agreed that he was an idiot and it was his fault that he was hurt.
He was on "light duty" for a while and tried everything he could think of to get them to fire him so that he could sue them and they never did. They had to safety train everyone all over again so they(at my suggestion :D ) had him sit at a table out on the driveway (I think it was somewhere close to a hundred degrees that day) and assemble tractor safety pamphlets for everyone.
He finally walked into the office(on crutches that he didn't need) smoking a cigarette despite the "no smoking" sign to speak with the owner's wife about getting a raise. A little birdy advised her to place him on un-paid disciplianry leave for dis-obaying company policy in referance to smoking in the office...
He finally quit.

Angus Cowman":t3ots8w2 said:

I AM STAYING FOREVER

Did you guys tell him to pick it up and fix it?

Dairy down the road from me had a truck that the gas guage didn't work. So an employee took off the cap and lit and match so he could see how much gas was in the tank. He was airlifted to the trauma center up in Seattle but he did manage to survived the explosion. The old truck didn't.

Dave":2ikstlpx said:
Dairy down the road from me had a truck that the gas guage didn't work. So an employee took off the cap and lit and match so he could see how much gas was in the tank. He was airlifted to the trauma center up in Seattle but he did manage to survived the explosion. The old truck didn't.
Is it just me or, do these kind of TWITS often survive there stupidity while the rest of us would be kill by much less? They seem almost bullet proof!

Old_man_emu":5fgueuks said:
Dave":5fgueuks said:
Is it just me or, do these kind of TWITS often survive there stupidity while the rest of us would be kill by much less? They seem almost bullet proof!
Having survived my share of stupid moments, it must just be you

hooknline":2hinw0l6 said:
Old_man_emu":2hinw0l6 said:
Dave":2hinw0l6 said:
Having survived my share of stupid moments, it must just be you
Using a match to check a gas tank? There is dumb and there is DUMB!

Did I ever tell the story of methanol, cooking oil, and an electric drill for mixing? :oops:

I've not heard this story, sounds like there might be a lesson to learn here. Perhaps you could elaborate... For the benefit of the group of course!

Latest posts