What types of Poultry do you have?

Help Support CattleToday:

We have 3 brahmas, 2 Barred Rocks and 5 Rhode Island Reds and one Emu. This critter just showed up a couple of days before Christmas. I was gonna make it the "Christmas Chicken" but the wife wouldn't have anything to do with that. Must weigh at least a hundred pounds. I can't imagine someone pushing that rascal out of their truck or car as a dropoff. :D My cows will have nothing to do with it but chase it out of their pasture.

Jack

Susie David":gosyfwnd said:
Well Susie thinks that I have way to much time on my hands so we just ordered 50 Delewares, 25 Barred Rocks, 25 Rhode Island Reds and 25 Buff Orpingtons. The hatch is the 12th of next month and since we are in the middle of winter and don't have a brooder house it looks like the breakfast room will be full of peeps.
She has no idea of the noise that 125 chicks can make. This will be worse than a colicly baby.
Now I need to get started on the hen house.
God I love that woman...
Dvae Mc

Wow, you're really getting into the bird thing bigtime! I bet you'll love those Buff Orpingtons. Are you incubating all of these? They're going to take up some major space, heat lamps and all that when they hatch. Noise will be the least of your problems, LOL!

Here's a few of the turkeys running around the yard a few days ago.
Cows005.jpg

Cows004.jpg

Cows003.jpg

Cows001.jpg

Cows002.jpg

Susie David":1ng4v3gg said:
Well Susie thinks that I have way to much time on my hands so we just ordered 50 Delewares, 25 Barred Rocks, 25 Rhode Island Reds and 25 Buff Orpingtons. The hatch is the 12th of next month and since we are in the middle of winter and don't have a brooder house it looks like the breakfast room will be full of peeps.
She has no idea of the noise that 125 chicks can make. This will be worse than a colicly baby.
Now I need to get started on the hen house.
God I love that woman...
Dvae Mc

Are you raising them to eat?

allenfarms":1yhw9gy5 said:
redneckcowgirlmn":1yhw9gy5 said:
\a ball python snake\

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

He's CUTE!!! About 4 feet long, full grown, and the kids named him "Peanut", 'cause he has peanut shapes in his skin pattern. Best pet we have, just lays there on his rock, eats mice the kids catch in their little live trap, doesn't bark, or shed hair on the furniture, or chew up the couch, or get in the trash, doesn't eat anything OTHER than the mice, doesn't have to go outside and get all muddy, doesn't chase the livestock, & just curls up in a ball if the kids want to hold him,and doesn't get big enough to eat small children, but big enough to tolerate a bit of rough handling by boys.(Yes, they wash their hands after! ;-) ) Entertains them too, and keeps the mouse population down. You don't even have to remember to feed him every day!

He's CUTE!!! About 4 feet long, full grown, and the kids named him "Peanut", 'cause he has peanut shapes in his skin pattern. Best pet we have, just lays there on his rock, eats mice the kids catch in their little live trap, doesn't bark, or shed hair on the furniture, or chew up the couch, or get in the trash, doesn't eat anything OTHER than the mice, doesn't have to go outside and get all muddy, doesn't chase the livestock, & just curls up in a ball if the kids want to hold him,and doesn't get big enough to eat small children, but big enough to tolerate a bit of rough handling by boys.(Yes, they wash their hands after! ) Entertains them too, and keeps the mouse population down. You don't even have to remember to feed him every day!

How do you cook a python? ;-)

MikeC":3qcjttdb said:
He's CUTE!!! About 4 feet long, full grown, and the kids named him "Peanut", 'cause he has peanut shapes in his skin pattern. Best pet we have, just lays there on his rock, eats mice the kids catch in their little live trap, doesn't bark, or shed hair on the furniture, or chew up the couch, or get in the trash, doesn't eat anything OTHER than the mice, doesn't have to go outside and get all muddy, doesn't chase the livestock, & just curls up in a ball if the kids want to hold him,and doesn't get big enough to eat small children, but big enough to tolerate a bit of rough handling by boys.(Yes, they wash their hands after! ) Entertains them too, and keeps the mouse population down. You don't even have to remember to feed him every day!

How do you cook a python? ;-)

Don't know, but when the kids get bored, I can send him to Mexico and get a pair of boots made! ;-)

Roger, the turkeys in the 2nd photo, wow, beautiful markings! Are they the bronze ones? Do the turkeys range far or hang around? Also, your muscovy ducks...they eat a lot of flies, don't they? Do you keep all your birds penned up at night? Incredible assortment!

The bride wants me to get into the egg business to fill up all the extra time that I have...all pullets ordered. Have all the feeders, heat lamps and waterers...just need to get busy fast on the hen house. Have a space in the garage set up for brooding and will build the house as soon as the ground thaws.
Sometimes I get the feeling that the cart is before the horse.
Anyway we or rather I will have my hands full.
Dave Mc

Susie David":34uv9t1y said:
She has no idea of the noise that 125 chicks can make.
hope that you don't get a headache - that noise can echo around in your head for days

we have 8 houses of broilers (20,000 each)
a house of new babies and a sinus headache can almost make me cry!

Wife has got these dang little bantam Golden Seabrights which are not worth a pinch of dried up sheep dung. I spend more time keeping hawks,owls,bobcat's and coyotes off them than they are worth. Quite a few of them have ended up the various varmits listed turds. She also had some of them screwed up ducks that walk straight up again had.

the in laws have some really ugly "community ducks" that have red heads and come up and crap on their porch, shake their butts and fly off. They hate them!

Our daughter got some chicks for her 5th birthday. We have a couple of dominickers (sp), a white one, a black one, a Rhode Island red, and my favorite, a huge Brahma. We always heard they were supposed to drop off in production in the winter, but we're still getting enough eggs to give away to the neighbors.

We plan to get more Brahmas...they seem to do better in the Texas heat. ;-)

Gale,
Those are the Bronze turkeys in the 2nd photo. They hang around the yard and barn yard. The Muscovies are awesome fly catchers. You can see them ranging all over the barnyard and pasture catching insects. Some of the chickens are confined and then I have alot that run loose. The Frizzles I keep up and oh yeah, I have some Silkies that I keep up too. The Frizzles and Silkies can't fly so I have to keep them up.

I got Chipping Sparrows,Tufted Titmouse,Redbird,Wren,Nuthatch,Goldfinch,Whitecrown Sparrow,Robins,Whitewing Dove,and Sparrow/redtail/sharpshin/roughlegged Hawks +Turkey/Black Vulture!!

"Bout the baby chicks, use Desiden baby ointment when they get pecked on..helps to heal and the ones that get a mouth/beakfull won't do it again.. :lol:

Latest posts