How do you heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

exploitation of child labor!!!!!
No wonder they r-u-n-n-o-f-t and found someone to marry.
Yes, well maybe, but............If you can explain to young kids that we'll need this to keep warm six months from now, they'll remember the hot work day when wintertime rolls around. That's a lesson that carries into life and one they remember.
I did take them to the creek that afternoon. We play hard too.

Hitting 72 this year, so firewood from my land isn't happening, and firewood cut split and delivered by the cord is $250 plus. could go through 6 to 10 cords easy. cheaper or similar cost to heat with dual fuel electric here anyway, so far.

Amish pallet factory here (actually, there's a couple of them within 10 miles) will load ends/scraps for $10/loader scoop; about $30 for a piled-high long-bed pickup load. Almost all oak, and seasoned. Most will feed right into a heater, but some bigger chunks need a bit of splitting.
Neighbor next door heats exclusively with stuff from the pallet factory, but I have enough downed trees around the farm that I'm cutting up just to clear fields & fencelines... but in a tight, or when I get tired of fighting with the saw... I'm heading to the pallet factory.

I use to tell the kids, "my am going after firewood, who is coming with me?" One or two would come along. I would cut it and they would load it. The oldest boy never came along. But we would just dump it by the wood shed. The next day he would split and stack it all. I never bothered him to come along to cut it.

When we lived in the mountains of New Mexico in the 80s, our family would make a day out of cutting dead and down firewood by permit in the National Forest. Mostly I would work and the kids would play in the snow. The wife would pack a lunch with something warm to drink and maybe hot soup too. The kids would help load and unload and stack the wood. Even then, the wood was just for backup heat to our natural gas furnace. Sure came in handy when there were electricity or furnace issues with single digit temperatures outside. The kids are now 39 and 42 yrs old. They still talk about those days.

Right now we heat with a heat pump. Wood from our trees is mostly used to heat the shop or smoke brisket. The fireplace in our house is next to worthless. We used it this Christmas just for the feeling it brings to Christmas day.

Neighbor has a wood splitter that people in the neighborhood borrow. I was the last to get it this year. I fought with it and never could get it to run right or even start at times. I broke down and bought one. Got most of the wood split a week or so ago. Last little bit to finish up I split this morning. Normally I split and the wife stacks. She was gone when I split it this morning. She asked how am I going to get into the shed. I told her that she is enough of a monkey to climb over the pile. But don't fall and break your leg on the inside. It will take me a couple weeks to burn enough wood up to get to her.

P1133071.JPG

We have a wood heater and a propane heater in the basement, a pellet stove upstairs as well as some electric baseboard heaters. The propane is great but can freeze.
We heat with fuel oil in boiler so baseboard runs perimeter. Propane does indeed freeze around -44f as silver stated. I have wood backup for when powers out

Just wondering how everyone heats their homes? Wood, electric, propane, etc.
I primarily use wood, but also will use electric to warm up a room or two. Have propane for when it gets really cold, the power's out, and the woodpile is running low.
Propane (house), electric Ritchie cattle waterer. We take heating seriously in North Dakota.

Heat pump with gas backup, a vent free for power outages. New house will have a flat topped free standing wood stove in the basement for the outages and extra cold days, and for the times I want to cook on it.

Mainly wood.
I have two fireplaces in my house, a wood stove in my house in Leon county, both places have heating and air, we just don't use it in the winter.
My place in Coleman county hasn't had a wood stove installed yet, work in progress, nothing but mesquite trees out there.
I still love cutting wood, it's very rewarding, but my back slows me down big time.

Latest posts