What type of tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

Some folks around here had a bigger kubota that needed the engine rebuilt. Come to find out the cylinders aren't sleeved. they had to order a new block that had to be shipped out of Japan. Lots of money.

We had a 1950 something Massey 165. It was a good tractor but the combination of a poorly made bale spear and mud made me want a 4wd and a loader. Sold it after 5 yrs with a 6 ft bush hog for $1000 more than I paid for the 2. Bought a 281 Massey 4wd with a quick attach loader that does everything I ask. Looked hard at the Deere and the upper lever models of Massey but couldn't justify the added expense.

I went from a New Holland TS100(100hp) 2wd w/ a front loader to a New Holland TL100A(85hp) 4wd w/ a front loader. 4wd makes the diffence! 85hp is plenty powerful for hay, pasture clipping, and even small dirt work around the farm. For a small farm operation just about any name brand is as good as the other. Just make sure your dealer is local and carries parts for your tractor in stock. They will break down at some time. Be cautious of tractors that the warning labels and such are in a different language. Parts are usually hard to find or costly for those tractors.

I am somewhat of a crossbred man. I like to run red tractors and green implements. I have two CaseIH 7220's and a 7110. The 7220's are big enough to pull 30 foot of toolbar and small enough to run a loader and swather and baler work. I like JD's also but CaseIH are more economical.

plbcattle":2m6qugjw said:
what type of tractor do you guys use. I just priced a john deere 5320 cab 4wd tractor. I know a lot of cattle farmers that have larger tractors than that. the one I want is $39,000. the larger ones are over $50,000. how are these old time small operations justifing that expense.

For the last 9 years I been using a 1949 John Deere "B" with not much
trouble at all. I found out 1 very important need however... A loader!

I was looking at the "used" John Deeres at the dealer last Saturday...
I'm still in sticker shock :shock: I grew up in a die hard John Deere
family and was weaned on "Johnny Poppers". I wont know how to act
with a tractor with more than 2 spark plugs :)

1978 Ford 3600 w/ front end loader and 1954 Farmall 100 (was my grandpa's). Keep thinking I want a knew and little bigger tractor but so far I've been able to manage with what I got so it's alittle hard to justify the expense.

I've owned the Ford 3600 for about 7 hrs now and it was the first tractor I've owned or significantly used with a front end loader. Not sure how I ever managed all those years without one!

we run from 250 cows to 500 cows, depending on what time of year it is. all of our machinery wore out and now we buy all of our hay and the only tractor we have is a Long 4 wheel drive, the biggest they make, it is rated at 65 horse and i think it is a 2610. we feed over 1000 large round bales of hay per year with it and do the brush hogging and any other needed work. it is about a 22,000 dollar tractor new with the front end loader and bale spikes for front and back. it hauls 2 of the 5x6 big bales at a time. i have never seen any reason to need more tractor than that for up to 500 cows. we also have a bale spike on the back of the pickup to feed with

Latest posts