What type of tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

SF":2gyiswwb said:
Those quick attach bale forks are sweet aren't they. I can switch from loader to bale forks in less than 5 minutes. Love it.
I use a Kubota L4330. Love the tractor. A little light on the back end when carrying a heavy bale of hay.
Have had it about 10 months now, got 320 hours on it. I think it is a great bargain. Much more affordable than JD or NH

If it's light in the rear, why not add a rear bale spike and just use it to carry an extra bale for weight. Had to do that with my old Int. 460 when we were feeding 1500 lb round bales.

dun

dun":e0hupg5j said:
SF":e0hupg5j said:
Those quick attach bale forks are sweet aren't they. I can switch from loader to bale forks in less than 5 minutes. Love it.
I use a Kubota L4330. Love the tractor. A little light on the back end when carrying a heavy bale of hay.
Have had it about 10 months now, got 320 hours on it. I think it is a great bargain. Much more affordable than JD or NH

If it's light in the rear, why not add a rear bale spike and just use it to carry an extra bale for weight. Had to do that with my old Int. 460 when we were feeding 1500 lb round bales.

dun

Doing this will also save undue wear-n' -tear on the front end (bearings,etc). I have wheel weights and radial tires also. ;-) :cboy:

A 5500 Mahindra gets every thing done for me. It will handle two large round bales with the f/e loader and rear spear. My baler is a small Heston which this tractor handles with ease.

Being both a row cropper and cattleman leaves me with many options. My basic cattle tractor is a 52 horse JD, after that I have tractors in various sizes from 110 horse - 250.

JB

used to be a deere man but have gone mostly red now i h 966 & german diesel 806 plus a jd 630. 4020 was the last good tractor deere made, after that they took a giant step backwards had a 2940 4-wheel drive & had lots of hydraulic trouble

1980 40 HP Kubota & a 1998 M8200 Kubota used here. No issues with either, the 40 HP has approx 5000 hrs & seems like at least another 500-1000 before a rebuild will be required (just a wild guess though).

Pricing was the driver behind my original purchase (a demo model in the begining of their push to get into the american market), while both reliability & price fueled the reason for going back to the well again.

Farminlund":zuw82jc4 said:
1980 40 HP Kubota & a 1998 M8200 Kubota used here. No issues with either, the 40 HP has approx 5000 hrs & seems like at least another 500-1000 before a rebuild will be required (just a wild guess though).

Pricing was the driver behind my original purchase (a demo model in the begining of their push to get into the american market), while both reliability & price fueled the reason for going back to the well again.

Good to know them Kubuta's don't hold up as well as a Perkins in a Massey 6000 hours still runnin strong.

the 40 HP has approx 5000 hrs & seems like at least another 500-1000 before a rebuild will be required (just a wild guess though).
Who knows Burno, mine might be at 6000 & still running stong as well; like I said "just a wild guess". It's doing fine now, just a bit harder to start in cold weather than it used to be. I know of others that have gone to the 7000 mark, hopin that I will also have that same good fortune.

Let me know when yours needs the rebuild & I'll do the same with mine.

plbcattle":2vh3t1xk said:
what type of tractor do you guys use. I just priced a john deere 5320 cab 4wd tractor. I know a lot of cattle farmers that have larger tractors than that. the one I want is $39,000. the larger ones are over $50,000. how are these old time small operations justifing that expense.

We run nothing new here.. to ensure we always have a tractor that works ..We have 7 of them.2 whites/3 internationals/2 case

An old Case/IH that's older than dirt and deserves the daily cussing it gets when choring and two JD tractors that have been around since Christ was a cowboy(used mostly at haying time 'cause there's no way short of a lit stick of dynamite that they'd fire up in winter).

This is the first winter we haven't chored much with the team, as most of the winter here was terribly icy and wasn't worth breaking the horses legs over the cost of deisel for the tractor.

Sure wish we were in a position to own a tractor younger than I am.

Take care.

CA

I am with you on tractors!

On a positive note, any tractor that starts and can do the job is a bonus.

I am seriously considering swithching to a team next year for cost savings - slower and a bit less efficient maybe - but easier on the wallet I think. Time is something I usually have - especially if I just feed hay on weekends like I do now. Put out 30 or 40 bales and they get by. Feed corn with the 4 wheeler.

Neighbour runs a team and feeds a bit over 100 animals - hay and grain on a daily basis - works for him, might work for me.

Bez

Angus Cattle Shower":dj1yocw9 said:
Hey shorty youre half century old now!!!!!! :shock: :shock: I diddnt think you were old. You too dun. I thought you 2 would be in yer 30's

dun is 33 now

buckaroo_bif":186193dr said:
dun is 33 now

Yup that's right. Had a kid the other day say that he thought I was probably only in my 50's, almost kissed him. Of course, he's young 40 some odd year old snot nosed kid so doesn;t have much age judgement yet.

dun

dun":34ij023g said:
buckaroo_bif":34ij023g said:
dun is 33 now

Yup that's right. Had a kid the other day say that he thought I was probably only in my 50's, almost kissed him. Of course, he's young 40 some odd year old snot nosed kid so doesn;t have much age judgement yet.

dun

:lol:

Latest posts