What type of tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

D.R. Cattle":3u2dpww6 said:
We don't have to make any hay down here so the biggest job is bush hogging. I had a 35 Massey several years back and worked that poor little thing to death. Stepped up to a 4610 Ford '89 model with a brand new Rhino SE7 rotary cutter. That thing is a hoss. Big enough to spike bales if I needed to, and I believe 52HP at the PTO shaft. Spread seed and fertilizer with a 400lb hopper no problem. Augers post holes like hot butter. Blades out ruts and drives. Disks my garden with ease. Remote runs a log splitter that I split 24" logs with. Wish I had a bucket on the front, but more than adequate for my couple hundred acres operation.

This emphasisizes (can't spell that either) the difference that location can make. Here a 7ft BH would be almmost a curse in most places. There are times a 6 is too much. I do have a couple of fields I like a 30 footer. And I don't see how I could get anything done without a loader.

dun

D.R. - I agree that the 4610 is probably the most versatile size tractor for a rancher. Someone else mentioned the 4000 Ford (which is the same tractor 20 years older). They're the largest tractor Ford/NewHolland made with a 3 cyl. engine so they're shorter and more manuverable than the 5610 but with 52 horsepower, they'll run lots of equipment. Until I bought my Deere 2555, we used my dad's 4000 to run a 8' vicon rotary hay mower. We also pull a 15' bushhog (just for clipping pasture-not land clearing) and it does a decent job until the bahiagrass starts getting too tough. If you had a 10' bushhog, you'd have the perfect combination for pastures.

My Deere only has 13 more horsepower, but seems twice as big - especially when you are hauling it. The smaller tractor allow you to move them with a 1/2 ton truck if you need to and just seem to be the best all around size unless your running a baler or want a cab (which is why I bought the Deere).

Kubota 3710 down here.....took advantage of the 36 mo interest free financing, and next month will be #36!!!!! Not sure what to do with the extra $550 a month! Be kinda like getting a raise.

Kubotas are very hot items here in the construction trade, but not used very much in the agricultural side. Wonder why? I guess they are typically considerd a "compact" and more expensive machine?

The Kubotas are a compact tractor and they typicaly weigh much less than a comparably powered JD, NH, IH or McCormick. In this neck of the woods, the compacts seem to be a little cheaper, like about $5k to $10k cheaper.

Boy down here green is the favorite flavor, and the dealers are sure proud of them. One of the reasons I bought the orange one was price, as the same hp Deere ( around 45hp I believe) was around 7-8K more. I got the tractor, loader, box blade and a trailer to put it all on for less than the Deere was. As I didnt feel I would ever wear it out just mowing and moving hay bales, ( now have 190 hrs in 3 yrs!), the Kubota has worked out well for me. That and the fact that most of the Deere dealers didnt really want to deal with someone like me who wasnt buying a huge 100+ hp tractor and use it to make a living. The dealers around me really leave alot to be desired in the small tractor catagory, but there are 4 Kubota dealers within 30 miles of my shop, so I just went down and bought one during lunch one day.

That being said, I thing tractors are like trucks, everyone has their favorite brand, but there probably isnt that much difference in the quality of any of them, just like Ford/Chevy/Dodge/GMC.

I don't believe I could buy a Kubota, Japs don't want our beef. I don't think I want their tractor. Being tractors are all made overseas now I would have to look for some other country to support. It's a shame you can't buy an American made tractor anymore under a 100 hp.

Campground Cattle":15mcqk9g said:
I don't believe I could buy a Kubota, Japs don't want our beef. I don't think I want their tractor. Being tractors are all made overseas now I would have to look for some other country to support. It's a shame you can't buy an American made tractor anymore under a 100 hp.

You're speaking my language.

Campground Cattle":2x7rhh7v said:

Aren't th 5000 (45 - 75HP) series deeres made in Georgia? I know now that that have three or four differents ones (5003, 5005, 5020) but I think the upper series (5020) are domestic.

http://www.agvp.com/PDF/PR014_John_Deere.pdf#search='john deere assembly plant'

I don't know about specific models, but the last time I talked the JD guy he said the samller tractors are made in India and the big ones are made in china.

dun

Campground Cattle":1g5nrho2 said:

The market will reopen. My 4310 Kubota has a sticker on it that says "made in the USA", along with the front end loader. They are very proud of their tractors,and they want a premium price, but you cannot find better quality for the price. The 90 Hp is an M9000 utility special. The dealer where I got the M9000 is actually a Ford place that happens to carry Kubotas. He is a friend of the family and mentioned that the fords and John Deers are in the shop all the time,but he never gets a kubota back except for preventive maintenance. To me,dependability translates into money earned. ;-) :cboy:

dun":1ksgh4fi said:
I don't know about specific models, but the last time I talked the JD guy he said the samller tractors are made in India and the big ones are made in china.

dun

I bet when he said small he was talking compacts (4000 series).

Traditionally, compact (<40 horse) were made in asia, utilities (40 - 90) were made in Europe, and over 100 horse were made in the USA and alot of the big four wheel drives (>250 horse) were made in Canada.

However, lots of this has changed. Lots of the entry level tractors now are coming out of Old Mexico.

We run all green. The selling point on green for us was parts availibilty. The dealers deliver daily and we hardly ever have to wait for more than a couple of days for even specialty parts. I also like NH but their service was not as good. Last year we had engine problems with a 7920 under warranty and within 4 hours they had another setting in the hay field that we got to use until ours was fixed. Also I said all green but we :heart: our macdon swathers and hesston big sqaure balers.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":wkhrhuz2 said:
Campground Cattle":wkhrhuz2 said:

The market will reopen. My 4310 Kubota has a sticker on it that says "made in the USA", along with the front end loader. They are very proud of their tractors,and they want a premium price, but you cannot find better quality for the price. The 90 Hp is an M9000 utility special. The dealer where I got the M9000 is actually a Ford place that happens to carry Kubotas. He is a friend of the family and mentioned that the fords and John Deers are in the shop all the time,but he never gets a kubota back except for preventive maintenance. To me,dependability translates into money earned. ;-) :cboy:
In case you missed my last post do you care to post what you give for the 90hp kubota 4x4 with cab, Im gonna be looking for one maybe come spring and just curious what to expect sure would appreciate it ,thanks

rws":2tqood4g said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2tqood4g said:
Campground Cattle":2tqood4g said:

In case you missed my last post do you care to post what you give for the 90hp kubota 4x4 with cab, Im gonna be looking for one maybe come spring and just curious what to expect sure would appreciate it ,thanks

42K, and worth every penny.....

i just got my John Deere 5320 4wd cab tractor in today. I always thought what would I need an air ride seat,heater/A/C, radio for. I now know why. Boy did I realize what I have been missing. It was worth every penny. I wish I would have done it sooner.

We had to look at the availabilty and price of parts. Kubota won out by far! Our nearest ag dealer carries Long, agritrac, and Kioti, But the parts prices for these are out of sight. And Long tractors are hard ot weld or braze on, poor metal I think, as were the old Belerus tractors.

We like JD's but see the smaller ones are now being made by Yanmar, why not just pay less for a Yanmar?

New Holland/Ford have priced themselves out of the market for the little guy around here.

So... If one looks around here, one would see over half the tractors in use being the orange botas! And all have to have 4X4!

Hi,
New to the board so I'm a little late with this one. On my small operation I use a 1951 Deere B. It works pretty well on sixty acres. pulls a 5 foot bushog no problem.
My father-in law said it pulled his square baler all over the farm until he bought the 2510.
I kinda luck into old equipment for cheap or free around here, so I have a 1960's baler and rake,and a 1950's sickle mower to go with it.
My tools I bought new though and are well used..... ;-)

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":379ugoxi said:
rws":379ugoxi said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":379ugoxi said:
Campground Cattle":379ugoxi said:

42K, and worth every penny.....

I forgot to mention that that included the newest,biggest,baddest,front end loader they make,and a quick attach hay fork. ;-) :cboy:

Those quick attach bale forks are sweet aren't they. I can switch from loader to bale forks in less than 5 minutes. Love it.
I use a Kubota L4330. Love the tractor. A little light on the back end when carrying a heavy bale of hay.
Have had it about 10 months now, got 320 hours on it. I think it is a great bargain. Much more affordable than JD or NH

Latest posts