What type of tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
what type of tractor do you guys use. I just priced a john deere 5320 cab 4wd tractor. I know a lot of cattle farmers that have larger tractors than that. the one I want is $39,000. the larger ones are over $50,000. how are these old time small operations justifing that expense.

No question about it.. tractors are EXPENSIVE!! We priced new ones last year, and I couldn't believe how high they were.

We've had most of our tractors for years.. (over 10) and my husband is a good mechanic, so he's been able to keep them running. We have had good luck with the older Allis Chalmers tractors with the Perkins diesel engines. We also have a 150 hp International, that we'll probably trade off next year.

Bigger equipment is always cheaper than smaller.. I'm assuming because the smaller tractors are popular with "weekend" ranchers.

Our tractors consist of John Deere's to include a 4230 (early 70's), a 4020 from late 60's, and an early model 3020 tricycle. All run well. We hire out cutting, raking, and baling. All bought new.

Can't justify the large tractor price, thats the reason that the Old (26 years) Massey 565 is still the big boy here. We can do most everthing else with the 50 hp Kioti. Come hay bailing time for old Massey.

Wewild, I like the 4230 size myself. It is heavy enough to do the work, enough horsepower to get it done. Just the right size as far as handling a baler and the turning radius is about right. I think much over this size is hard to work with around silage pits and tight spots. A fourwheel drive is really a good thing to have in the mud this time of the year. They are so expensive. A 4230 with a cab, air and heat, fourwheel drive and I would be in heaven. Oh, let's not forget the 567 John Deere baler with a kicker.

Old time small operations like mine don't have new expensive tractors my newest tractor is 16 years old and I have two that are 2 years older that I am and I just turned 50 today.

shorty":3gdhi6y6 said:
Old time small operations like mine don't have new expensive tractors my newest tractor is 16 years old and I have two that are 2 years older that I am and I just turned 50 today.

Happy Birthday Shorty!!

Prefer red here. IH 706 wide front with a 310 german deisel in it.
Farmal 756 tricycle front end same engine. This one is not used in the winter or the mud. And it is cold hearted. But there is no need to do any back and forth with the round baler. That tri front end mashes those windrows right down flat.
And there is a super C that mows my yard and rakes the hay.

Hey shorty youre half century old now!!!!!! :shock: :shock: I diddnt think you were old. You too dun. I thought you 2 would be in yer 30's

We use a 1998 Case MX110 (95 hp) for the big jobs and a 2001-2 Kubota 3710 (38 hp) for smaller jobs even though I pick up 2 round hay bales with it.

Just bought a 65 horse Kioti...like you couldn't afford the bigger stuff with a small budget and operation. Just wondering if anyone has a review of the Kioti tractors.

Lazyacre":2ayzqm9c said:
Just bought a 65 horse Kioti...like you couldn't afford the bigger stuff with a small budget and operation. Just wondering if anyone has a review of the Kioti tractors.

I have been runnin a cab 50 since 2002 so far no problems other than it rides rough

plbcattle":eq58wqsg said:
what type of tractor do you guys use. I just priced a john deere 5320 cab 4wd tractor. I know a lot of cattle farmers that have larger tractors than that. the one I want is $39,000. the larger ones are over $50,000. how are these old time small operations justifing that expense.

I'd say if you're a small operator, you'd be better off buying used than new. Find one with less than 2500 hours and no more than a small operator uses it it won't loose value. Some will actually gain value.

You can find lease return tractors if you want the latest technology with 500 - 1000 hours and get some really good deals compared to the new units.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3aob052e said:
I have a 36hp kubota with a backhoe attachment,and I have just bought a 90HP Kubota 4x4 with cab for the big ger stuff.I love it. :cboy: ;-)
not to be nosy but what did you have to give for the 90hp kubota 4x4 with cab

We don't have to make any hay down here so the biggest job is bush hogging. I had a 35 Massey several years back and worked that poor little thing to death. Stepped up to a 4610 Ford '89 model with a brand new Rhino SE7 rotary cutter. That thing is a hoss. Big enough to spike bales if I needed to, and I believe 52HP at the PTO shaft. Spread seed and fertilizer with a 400lb hopper no problem. Augers post holes like hot butter. Blades out ruts and drives. Disks my garden with ease. Remote runs a log splitter that I split 24" logs with. Wish I had a bucket on the front, but more than adequate for my couple hundred acres operation.

Latest posts