what type of calf puller ?

Help Support CattleToday:

SMALLTIME

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm wondering what type off calf puller is best in your experience .guess I'm looking for a good one. I have one and it failed and I lost a cow and calf because of it. my brother has the same one and his is slipping too. both were only used a few times. there made by Syrvet Inc. smooth shaft. looks like the Dr Franks .I don't want to buy another piece of junk. I'm in the middle of calving and need to do something quick don't like being without it. Thanks

We have a Dr. Franks. We like it but, sometimes, the handl/puller part will quit grabbing. Sometimes rubbing sand on it will work, or you may need to get new parts. Whatever you get, it needs to be kept clean and checking it over once in a while doesn't hurt either.

Use the one you have and make better bull selections in the future.

SMALLTIME":3h2o05mu said:
bull selection ? never seen a bull have a calf! lol
I've never seen a cow calve without a contribution from a bull

SMALLTIME":3szxz4u5 said:
ya i guess they both have 50 percent. not blaming this one on the bull! I pick good bulls
Then why are you pulling calves unless the cows are the problem?

What is your mineral program like. I would look at that as well if you are having to pull alot of calves.

This is supposed to be a good calf puller.
http://www.livestockconcepts.com/1721-c ... uller.html
Calf Eze is engineered for the user that prefers a dual action pull, or zig-zag motion, instead of a single pull instrument. Calf Eze is superior to ratchet style pullers that rely on grooved shafts with sharp edges and hard-to-clean grooves. Calf Eze utilizes the same non-slip cam traction system as the Dr. Frank's Fetal Extractor, but has two pulling points that alternately advance to shyft the pull from one leg to the other. The dual-action jack body is made of special strength aluminum and weighs only 17 lbs. The jack release mechanism allows the user to easily position the jack on the rods and lock it in place. Steel cams prevent slipping and provide longer jack life. A third chain hook is also provided to give a single pull option. The Calf-Eze is suggested for use with two 45" Ideal OB chains(sold separately)

That is also a really good price.

Why is shyft, being edited to be nice ..

tncattle467":3kvxpjyq said:
Dont have one but probably should invest. Out of 196 calves born over the last five years never had so much as a malpresentation. Knock on wood.

That is what i said last year.
This year i have 10 first calf heifers and 17 old cows. I had to pull the calf from the first one of the ten to calve, i thought i was in for trouble. Went and bought Dr. Frank's device.
Fortunately the rest of the heifers seem fine as have the old cows, so my assumption is the heifer is the problem because the calf looked too large to me.

Dr. Frank's puller worked ok as long as i kept the chain short, when the crank got out too far i couldn't get to work well.

ya I only used the puller twice in three years . if I had help I my not have used it at all . but when your alone there nice to have . always on heifers. SO I REALLY CANT BLAME THE BULL.

I sure don't claim to be a expert on calf pullers but our vet and my son in law both have a Willman calf puller that is really nice. Made locally here in Dayton Ohio. No slip,instant reverse, good piece of equipment. http://www.hawkermfg.com/calfpuller/index.htmlI believe his is the longest one a model 124.

Haven't had to pull a calf since I was milking cows....just used a handmade plaited rope instead of OB chains and a come along. Worked as well as anything.

Perhaps you might ask your vet what he uses. That was how I decided. Have not had to use it yet. Knock on wood. I'm having plenty of big calves so I may find out how well it works. Bought two bulls with low birth weight EPDs, and started using them as yearlings. I have had 26 calves born in the last couple weeks. Six of them over 100 pounds and 8 of them 88 to 99 pounds. The only one I actually had to pull was 88 pounds out of a 3-4 frame 860 pound heifer. That was a hand pull. I should have probably bred her AI.

dun":3qmkzfpw said:
Use the one you have and make better bull selections in the future.

As always! Wise words from the Master! :clap:
Had to use a calf puller for my hole herd one year from a " low birth weight bull". Some on here remember. It was a long time ago. Haven't used it since. Went to school, started AI'ing and haven't had to use it since. Had to pull a calf just the other day that the mom wore herself out being a nut durring delivery and was to tired to push. Hooked soft ropes on the legs (hate the effects of chains) pulled just a little to help the mom and out she came. Nice and easy.
Get a good bull, AI whatever you have to do not to pull. It pays in so many ways. I bought a cheaper puller a long time ago and its has bent and the hooks straitened out and we just repaired and reused. Now its in the barn all rusty.
However if you save one calf and cow/heifer with a puller it has payed for itself in my opinion. I wish I could tell you the brand of ours but the name is long gone. It screws together and you can take it apart for storage or transport and im happy I got that one.
JMO
Double R

My calf puller is a '78 model, has red hair at the moment. When she gets tired, I've got a couple 3/8" ropes that I braided the ends back into themselves to form slim loops at the end. We've got chains, but I prefer the ropes. If more oomph is needed, I slide a board crossways in the alley behind the cow and hook the ropes to a $20 cable puller from the farm store. I've also been known to use the 4 wheeler on wild cows, wish I had pictures of those times!

you don't want a better calf puller, you need to keep only those good calf pushers and cull those that can't! :)

robert":2iv8oltu said:
you don't want a better calf puller, you need to keep only those good calf pushers and cull those that can't! :)

Even the best cow can half one birth that can be a problem. Not necessarily a reason to cut her head off. There should be other considerations....environment...the cow...the bull...the owner/manager. None are perfect. You might refer to another topic 'Something to Ponder'.

I guess some of you that have never needed a puller have been blessed never having a large backwards calf . ;-)

If you are prepared for the unexpected you most likely will never need it.

Latest posts