What to look for

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
I was just wanting some tips on buying momma cows. What all do you look for in terms of body condition?

What traits are better than others? Flat back, wide butt is desirable correct?

Yes. A flat back and a wide rump are traits that I look for in my cows. I also look for depth of the heart girth and flank. A deeper heart girth usually means that the animals have a better heart and lung capacity. They also tend to utilize forage better than cows with a pinched heart girth. The wide rump will reduce calving issues. Some of our cows are over half as wide as they are tall if you measure their rump width.

Other than what you already meantioned. it's all in the udder and feet for me,Assuming you know what to look for there, that's the main thing other than shape.

Start with the basics, feet and legs before bothering with the other thinkgs mentioned

If they don't try to "eat your lunch" is always a plus too! I like cattle that are quiet and docile. Who want's to deal with a bad disposition during working and calving time.

Everything's pretty much been covered... 4 teats about the size of your thumb, cylindrical and planted squarely on the udder.. if it's FULL of milk, I'll say the bottom of the udder at the same level as the navel, if it's not, the bottom of the teats at that level, though if the cows are dry, it's pretty hard to tell, unless it's already far too big.

I think if you have range for your cows, a bit heavier boned is good, and perhaps a little taller legs makes them a more mobile. If they're going to be on nice pastures, I like to lighten the bones up a bit and bring down the size. Again, if you have lush pastures, look for breeds that milk heavy, and likewise if you graze bunchgrass, it may not support the big producers as well as it would a more modestly producing breed.

Nice toplines are nice to look at, but the bottom line is the one that makes it work.. I like them to look long and cylindrical when viewed from the side, and not pinched at the chest or the waist, and the udder at that level as well. WIDE hips, certainly no hatchet-butts, that helps you sleep at night during calving time. We're talking about beef cows here right? They should make your mouth water when you think of the steaks on those loins. Since I got a Gelbvieh bull (breed pimp warning), looking over the backs of the cattle has changed... I used to see a sharp ridge (the spine) all the way from the neck to the tail.. now, from the shoulders back is flat and wide, and the spine is below the muscle level.. Also, what looks like their hips, isn't bone, but muscle over top.

Hooves... They should look like they walk on their toes, not their heels.. otherwise they won't wear the tips of the hooves off and you'll end up having to do it.. For the stride, they ought to put the hind hoof in the print of the front when they walk at any speed faster than grazing.

I'm with Branguscowgirl on this too.. if they hightail it when you come to their pen, you should too..., though there are wild cows that are OK with humans around their calves, but tame cows that will kill... hard to tell the two apart, whatever the case, pay attention to their body language at calving.

Oh, and they have to be red!

Thanks everyone, yes nesi these will be beef cows. Probably hereford, blk angus, and charolais.

Calhoun Farm":zbiwy48s said:
I was just wanting some tips on buying momma cows. What all do you look for in terms of body condition?

What traits are better than others? Flat back, wide butt is desirable correct?
Like watching all the ladies at a dance. Many will have the perfect figure but only a few can really "dance". ;-)

Brindle stripes with a white blaze face and a 150 pound one month old bull calf standing underneath her.

JWBrahman":39lphg18 said:
Brindle stripes with a white blaze face and a 150 pound one month old bull calf standing underneath her.
Are you trying to tell me those old gals have a lot of good rich milk?? ;-)

This kinda goes back to the thread about fertility, beauty queen cows, etc. Every year this old gal squirts out two bull calves unassisted. I am sure she is deficient in a lot of the qualities listed here, however she has excellent feet and udders. Together her two calves way at least 150 pounds at 45 days and she is nursing them both on pasture with no hay or feed. They are the same size as the bull calf in the background, although one is about ten pounds lighter.
WP_001722.jpg

WP_001723.jpg

Warning: Do not try to walk up to an F1 with twins and start taking her photo unless you know her and she knows you.

Solid mouth and native and similar enough to what I already have that her calves will fit in to a uniform bunch. She also has to fit into my calving window.

I have a few that look like her. They raise me a calf, and are easy to work in the pen. I'll take 'em all day long.

Latest posts