What to do with giant zucchinis

Help Support CattleToday:

Zucchini bread... wife has a recipe for zucchini brownies. Both are good, and a use for those giant zucchinis that got away from you when you.

It's a meal if you put a lot of cheese on it.

We just now finished that 9"x13" pan of zucchni crisp. That used an 8 lb zucchini. Now husband wants more so I am on purpose growing another giant zucchini.

At the walmart here, the cheapest store, zucchini costs 1.68 a pound. So that 8 pound zucchini would have cost $13.44 .

Used to leave them on doorsteps when I lived in the city. Now my wife cuts them in big slices and feeds them to the heifers. They prefer sweet corn treats, but zucchini works too.

Stuffed zucchini. Slice in half lengthwise, remove seeds, fill with cooked hamburger, bread chunks / cubes, cream of mushroom soup, spice to taste, cover with foil and bake
If you can find it there, substitute (or mix) cream of poblano or cream of jalapeno soup for/with the mushroom soup....
That jalapeno soup is good stuff and is not as fiery as it sounds.

creamofpoblano.jpg

I go out every morning and kinkily fertilize the squash flowers because the bees are not interested. I pinch off a male flower, peel the petals back and rub the pollen on a female flower. Any squash bugs in the flowers are squashed. Also, any gigantic Oregon banana slugs are thrown over the top of the well house roof.
View attachment 21307
Giant slugs do not show much interest in giant zucchinis, they go after the lettuce.
I'm in Washington St wetside, last time I accidentally grabbed a slug while weeding it took 45 minutes and every hand cleaner and solvent in the shop to get the slime off!!

When I pick them up from the lettuce to throw over the well house I just wipe my hands off in the grass. I guess you know that Banana slugs live in the damp woods. Did you know they climb, if you can call oozing climbing, way up into trees? They get back down by secreting a rope of slime eventually hanging to the ground. Imagine one landing on the back of your neck.

I plan to start Banana slug races in the Port Orford farmers market. Provide a string of racing slugs, a sort of stable of plastic boxes for people to choose from. Every banana slug looks different, different colors, different spots. Get a big square of plywood and paint it like a target. People could place bets on slugs. Put all the slugs on the bullseye, which ever reaches the edge first wins. I actually tried keeping a slug in a racing stable for a while but it died.

We make zucchini bread with the overgrown ones but I would guess there are a lot of baking/dessert applications where they would keep the pastries moist and add cheap filler

Dad and I were waiting on Donnie the barber to finish cutting Mr. Reynolds's hair. After he paid and left, Donnie rolled his eyes, looked at Dad and said "Wayne forgot his okra again". Dad had to explain it to me, yet would still take me a decade to understand.

Same trickery with zucchini.

I discovered giant zucchinis store just like winter squash. Unable to find any unlocked cars I had stored a couple in the cabinet to make fake apple cobbler. You peel off the tough rind, seed then chop the rest into thin little pieces. People can't tell the difference.

8C zucchini peeled and remove all seeds
3/4C brown sugar
1T cinnamon
3/4C water
1/4C lemon juice

-for the topping-

1C butter
1C oatmeal
1T cinnamon
1C brown sugar
1 1/2C flour

Cut the zucchini into small 1/4" thick slices. In a large pot combine zucchini, cinnamon, brown sugar, lemon juice and water. Bring to boil stir occasionally for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 375. While it boils make the topping.
Mix oatmeal, cinnamon, brown sugar, flour and blend. When zucchini is done boiling pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Distribute topping with fingers. Bake uncovered for 55 to 60 minutes. The edges will be brown when ready.

Latest posts