Spot Spraying with Round up ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Redgully We used roundup in our orchard for 40 years but we did notice after a number of years it stunted the trees and reduced fruit size. Especially in stone fruit. [/quote said:
I soaked a patch pre plant, and now the tomato plants now looked burned with curled leaves and small fruit... Melons and squash seem fine.

Stocker Steve said:
Redgully We used roundup in our orchard for 40 years but we did notice after a number of years it stunted the trees and reduced fruit size. Especially in stone fruit. [/quote said:
I soaked a patch pre plant, and now the tomato plants now looked burned with curled leaves and small fruit... Melons and squash seem fine.

They say it shouldn't but it does. We used to grow tomatoes commercially and had a weed wiper, i remember you just had to touch a tomato stem and it was dead. I grow roses for garden centres now and glysophate is good for our business. The slightest drift and a rosebush is in trouble. I had one lady have a spraying contractor come in and spray around her roses, end result was she lost about 120 bushes. This is a story we get over and over.

Stocker Steve said:

Might not be the gly tho.
There are other maladies that can cause the same leaf curl/stunted fruit thing with tomato plants.
Hot dry weather will do it, and there are several different plant viruses that do the same thing.
Mosaic and Yellow leaf virus come to mind, but there are others. Spotted wilt, curly top...
I've seen them all here over the years.

Uneven watering causes the leaves to curl and be leathery.

greybeard said:
Stocker Steve said:

Might not be the gly tho.
There are other maladies that can cause the same leaf curl/stunted fruit thing with tomato plants.
Hot dry weather will do it, and there are several different plant viruses that do the same thing.
Mosaic and Yellow leaf virus come to mind, but there are others. Spotted wilt, curly top...
I've seen them all here over the years.

Uneven watering causes the leaves to curl and be leathery.

It's funny, if you read a book on tomato diseases you will nearly have a nervous breakdown. It's a wonder how the things grow at all!

Latest posts