Will deer eat up watermelon vines?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Wife wants me to plant seeded watermelons. The big ones, not those 1/2 watermelons all the stores sell nowadays. I have somewhere to plant them but it's not fenced off and aboout once a week, I find deer droppings in that part of the yard. Will it be an exercise in futility?

They can be hell on melons and flowers sometimes but I've never seen them stifle a vine. That ain't to say it can't happen, but for about 5 years running we planted a good sized melon patch and never had a problem with the vines.

I plant them quite a bit, 6' from a soybean field with heavy deer traffic, and I've never had them bother them at all. Never say never, but I wouldn't worry much about it.

They will eat the foliage (leaves and blooms) but generally they won't eat the vines. The vines get damaged more from them walking through them. I don't know about eating a "good" melon but if you've got one that gets soft or blossom end rot, they go nuts over them. I've seen a few watermelons with just a bite or at most 2 bites in the rind. Cantaloupe, on the other hand, they will absolutely destroy a cantaloupe field!

Latest posts