What to do, what to do?

Help Support CattleToday:

damengineer

Reaction score
We have had the wettest year here in central Oklahoma in at least 10 years. My neighbor at my place north of Chickasha ( SW of OKC) lost his machine shed yesterday morning. Storm and high wind from the East. nearest wind recordning 4 miles away recorded 61 gust. Here we have open sheds open on the East side. The fallacy of that is when we do get a wind from the east it is a destructive one. Another storm in same area now and moving from East to West. Not a normal direction of movement for storms here. Maybe one in 200 moves that direction.... This is the year for crazy weather. I finally got to cut some hay this afternoon. Weeds are really bad, it has been too wet to spray. I will just roll it up green and let the weeds go thru an sweat. Leave it in the field for 3 weeks to keep from burning the whole row...

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I would suggest unstacking and leaving them in the sun. I would salt the bales heavily with a course rock salt when you restack them after they dry. Water softener salt is cheap. Just check that it is sodium chloride, most are. I would do this whether they are put in barn or are tarped. Good luck.
I had forgotten about using salt. We did that on square bales years ago. Worked good

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
I would NOT re-stack. I would put them in rows flat side to flat side as tight as you can get them - after they set apart in sunshine for a few days. When they are stacked - and get wet - the water runs down the sides and goes into the next bale. It has no place to go except into the next bale. Good luck. I cringe every time I see a farmer stacking hay.

sstterry

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
I would suggest unstacking and leaving them in the sun. I would salt the bales heavily with a course rock salt when you restack them after they dry. Water softener salt is cheap. Just check that it is sodium chloride, most are. I would do this whether they are put in barn or are tarped. Good luck.
I had never heard of that. But, It makes sense.

Latest posts