What to do after brush hogging?

Help Support CattleToday:

what kind of seed would you all recommend for that type of area? we have one similar that we would like to get growing for pasture use. about the only thing it grows is scrub brush, weeds and a little cheat grass. we did try some bahia i think and it didn't take. it would be irrigated regularly and will be disc'd again in the spring.

You could stock the field with a bunch of goats. As the brush decreases sell off the goats and increase the cows.

Caustic Burno":4c89w9bz said:
Running Arrow Bill":4c89w9bz said:
Caustic Burno":4c89w9bz said:
Bush hogging is a waste of time and money when it comes to mowing weeds all you are doing is spreading seed. You will have a better stand next spring.

Depends, Caustic...

In our situation, we rotational graze our Longhorns frequently and then brush hog weeds before they start seeding. Been doing this for 5 years now. We have reduced our visible weeds by probably 90% which also gives our bermuda pastures chance to use the moisture. Also, our Longhorns will often eat the baby weeds before they get a foot tall.

Additionally, brush hogging has been very effective to spreading the manure piles, and, we haven't had to do any fertilization. Try to brush hog before a rain; and will water our small pens after we mow them. Some of our smaller areas are beginning to look like lawns...just need to keep the water coming... ;-)

Man is not talking about an improved pasture but 30 acres of crap you are not going to turn that into pasture bush hogging it.

I am with Caustic on this one. Spray with a bouble dose of grazon or Surmount. And do it soon while the stuff is still growing. Then bushog late in the fall to let the dead plants rot on the ground.

I was told to slash my rubbish first , wait 2 to 3 months for it to grow back strongly and then spray it .

Works a treat for me every time.

Latest posts