What to charge my dad

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle":3kw6djlf said:
Larry
15 years this year

We wild
loaned the money so hubby could go to school, and paid it back before we were married.
but they did lend husband money for a truck before we were married and they said they would take it off the inheritance rather than he pay it back. How that works dunno. Between him and his parents.
Death tax i think that is like the inheritance tax here.
but some how i think we hijacked this guys thread and he's probably not cool with that.
:lol: Yea I meant how long had littletime been married. As for the hijacked thread, hey it happens. :D

Larry

rockridgecattle":1prsgz74 said:
Larry
15 years this year

We wild
loaned the money so hubby could go to school, and paid it back before we were married.
but they did lend husband money for a truck before we were married and they said they would take it off the inheritance rather than he pay it back. How that works dunno. Between him and his parents.
Death tax i think that is like the inheritance tax here.
but some how i think we hijacked this guys thread and he's probably not cool with that.

I'm not sure we hijacked anything. It might be good reading for him.

On the college thing...It is my responsibility for that as I see it as a parent. It is my responsibility to care for them until they are in my mind adults or until they show that that they can fly the nest or until my efforts become fruitless.

Others can think otherwise and that's OK.

Hey don't quote me on that because I haven't really looked into it in the past 5 years but that is what I was told buy our accountant back then.Thankfully I am blessed to have both my parents still in my life.

I really think that they all need to have a family discussion because it is not worth having marriage problems for and the dad probably doesn't even know the tension this is causing.

I know how that goes as my husband and I but heads everyday about the cows.He wants them gone and I am trying to work/build a career/lifestyle for us when his career is done.

hillsdown":300b8d3t said:
I really think that they all need to have a family discussion because it is not worth having marriage problems for and the dad probably doesn't even know the tension this is causing.

I am not married, never have been, and have never really placed that goal high on the to do list; BUT no gal alive is worth enough to me to prevent me from helping MY Mother (everybody else is dead) if she really needed my help in something. If that means the gal walks......then she walks.

50/50 after the sale of the calves and all the bills are paid sounds fair to me.

Brandonm2 I meant the cows not the family.And anyone that is married and in a good relationship knows that both sides of the family are part of the package.

BTW just wait until you meet the one your life and priorities will change.Not family though as that is always a given.

I think 1 out of four is fair...or 50 % of profits...He is your father but in truth you are working for your siblings, at his death every one is equall reguardless of whom worked the hardest....

alftn":1klf6yt1 said:
I think 1 out of four is fair...or 50 % of profits...He is your father but in truth you are working for your siblings, at his death every one is equall reguardless of whom worked the hardest....
What makes you so sure that at his death everyone is equal? The will makes that clear. I've seen many times where a father has the money but not the physical abilities to use it. The father supplies the money the youngest son supplies the strong back. In the end father remembers strong back and forgets siblings that wanted nothing to do with daddy except for the money when daddy dies. Death has never made anything equal.

Howdyjabo":2i84bm4t said:
I expect my kids living at home to help on the farm- but when they grow up they have their own life and I only want them to help when they would enjoy it.
As adults If I EXPECT help- I expect to make it worth their time and effort.
If times were tough and I had no money - that would be a different story.Then family takes care of family for no financial rewards.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

You are the only one making any sense on this thread.

somn":yntl1zdn said:
alftn":yntl1zdn said:
What makes you so sure that at his death everyone is equal? The will makes that clear. I've seen many times where a father has the money but not the physical abilities to use it. The father supplies the money the youngest son supplies the strong back. In the end father remembers strong back and forgets siblings that wanted nothing to do with daddy except for the money when daddy dies. Death has never made anything equal.

Oh Boy is that ever the nail on the head!!!

Lot of good thoughts on here and what you eventually decide to charge your dad will likely have to take into acoount a number of things that have been mentioned here. But to start with you need to place a valuation on what you are doing. Typical ranch hand rates around here are $10-$15/hr. In Ensminger's "The Stockmans Handbook" he mentions paying 20% of profits, or more depending on numerous factors. He provides numerous examples of incentive based calculatoins and also mentions consideration in family run operations.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":yllu12vm said:
In my neck of the woods family don't charge family for anything :!:

I'm with you. There's no way I could ever imagine charging my Dad for anything. Too bad he's still not around.

Let's take another look at everything that's gotta be done...

Checking the cattle twice a week
Checking twice daily during calving season (3 months)
Doctoring sick/weak calves
Weekly feeding of round bales 4 months of the year
Working the cows 3 time year (worming, shots)
Working the calves twice (tagging, banding, shots)
Weaning the calves (bunk feeding daily 45 days)
Minor fence repair (fallen branch, etc.)

It appears to me that you'd need to be on the farm at least daily -- seven days a week -- pretty much from fall weaning through the end of spring calving (assuming that's how it works at your place).. That's about half the year.. If you figured on being there 3.5 days of 7 for the "easy" half of the year, and figured on a flat 60 minutes a day, it comes to about 225 hours.. If you paid yourself $9/hr, it would run just a hair over $2,000 in total.

Incidentally, $2,000 is probably going to be about 50% of the profit on 40 head, if you're managing to clear $100/head/yr.

On a side note, if whatever deal you come up with seems out of whack to either of you, there's a pretty easy way to get real-world feedback -- advertise it like you're hiring it out. Put an ad in the paper and see what happens on the open labor market.. If you get nothing, you're too low.. If you get swamped, you're too high.. If you get calls from people you'd actually consider hiring, you're on track.

It is still amazing to me that this subject came up on the forum. Good thing my wife never questions me helping family, hers or mine.

This post is simply amazing to me.

What would I charge my father? NOTHING!

I'd pay anything to be able to help him, talk to him, see him one more time.

This post is simply amazing to me.

What would I charge my father? NOTHING!

I'd pay anything to be able to help him, talk to him, see him one more time.

Latest posts