What to charge my dad

Help Support CattleToday:

respect for parents is one thing
help occasionally or casual is one thing
but a permantent helper just so you can get that cheque is another.
The son is charging no rent for the land, using his own tractor, whether he is paying the expense or not is another matter.
If the father has to pay someone to do the jobs needing to be done, might as well help out the son with a % of the sales. Nothing is for free. Family or not.
We already decided if we had children, they wouldn't be free labour. Especially after they turned 18. Before they reach that age they would get something for helping out with the chores. Might not be much but would be something to teach them the value of a farmed dollar.
To expect a son or daughter to work for free just cause they are family is well, wrong.

It looks to me you are a grown man with a wife and need to live your own life. It sounds like it is causing problems with your wife, which isn't good. How hard would it be for him to hire some part time help? I think you need to have a talk with your father if you don't feel up to doing all thats involved in raising cows. If your dad needed the income from the cows that would be a different story,you would be obligated to help him.

HMMMMMMM.........some good advice and some really crappy advice being given here. Im in the opposite position of you. I am in college so my dad charges me to take care of my cattle why im gone. The percentage idea is not the best because you cant contol the performance of HIS cattle all you do is take care of them. You just need to come up with ONE number and stick to it. Base it on the number of cattle you are tending to. I hate to give a number on here. Ill try to PM you a decent number.

rockridgecattle":hm8cdzzp said:
We already decided if we had children, they wouldn't be free labour. Especially after they turned 18. Before they reach that age they would get something for helping out with the chores. Might not be much but would be something to teach them the value of a farmed dollar.
To expect a son or daughter to work for free just cause they are family is well, wrong.

Hmmm.. I don't see it as wrong.

I got payed $3 an hour to haul hay up until I was 18. Adulthood was the time you had to get a job and be a man.... and do the right thing on the farm.

As well....

I got a payed for college degree.
I got 3 squares and a place to live.
Not sure I was ever in need because of their sacrifices.
I got love.

When he's no longer around I will miss him. What he leaves me will never replace him.

Life is good.

Wewild":33nj2dkw said:
rockridgecattle":33nj2dkw said:

Hmmm.. I don't see it as wrong.

I got payed $3 an hour to haul hay up until I was 18. Adulthood was the time you had to get a job and be a man.... and do the right thing on the farm.

Before that....

I got a payed for college degree.
I got 3 squares and a place to live.
Not sure I was ever in need because of their sacrifices.
I got love.

When he's no longer around I will miss him. What he leaves me will never replace him.

Life is good.

Great insite here.
I agree.

I pay $.21 per day yardage. Start there. He owns half the land. Subtract half. Where you at now for a dollar figure. He is your father.

Every time someone gves you business advice - you throw family stuff back. ( I don't keep track of hours stuff - what if Dad said I'll pay by the hour??).

Does your Dad know it is causing problems in your marriage?

You are talking to the wrong people, you need to talk to your family.

That being said, Wewild has it nailed - my Dad didn't live long enough for me to repay him.

If it is straight business - it should be easy to get on paper, or a solid agreement. If it is family - you have some talking to do and not on the internet.

For what it's worth I think Wewild is right on the money.

I've been trying to read between the lines and I could be all wrong but I think there is more "dis-satisfaction" from within your family than between you and your Father.

If you own half the property and the tractor why don't you:

1) Fence off your half and start your own herd.
2) Hire all the work you say you now do to someone else and send your Father the bill.
3) Speak to your siblings and ask that they help pick up the slack.
4) Find out what's really troubling your family and resolve that.

Good luck to you. I'm sure you will work it out.

we each have drawn on our own experiences here. No right or wrong answer. Except ALX's...communicate...good idea.

From my experience, (married into the farm family), husband repaid college tution, paid for machinery, paid for cattle, and will have to buy most of the land. (All for full price) Except for some land that has been generationally handed down. He worked on the farm as a child and teen helping where he was able. As an adult came home and help when needed.

rockridgecattle":jvlonxl7 said:
we each have drawn on our own experiences here. No right or wrong answer. Except ALX's...communicate...good idea.

From my experience, (married into the farm family), husband repaid college tution, paid for machinery, paid for cattle, and will have to buy most of the land. (All for full price) Except for some land that has been generationally handed down. He worked on the farm as a child and teen helping where he was able. As an adult came home and help when needed.

I am confused about why one would have to repay a college education.... was that dollar for dollar? Maybe he got a loan from an institution ....which I admire if thats the case.

I quess the generational thing would be what I was talking about regarding the land and others. You can't get land anyother way except what you have descibed.

rockridgecattle":3jdflhvn said:
no, loan from parents, and will have to pay for most of the land. just how they want it.

I quess ya'll must not have a death tax up there.

Goverment get 50% down here over $1.2 million I think.

It don't make sense down her to sell land to kid's at full market price.

I don't understand the loan from parents ... if I got that right. I was taught that it was one of my responsibilities to provide that.

rockridgecattle":wev0ypg0 said:
lost me on the last sentence, I think we have the some sort of death tax, not sure what.

I guess I was asking did the parents loan the money to go to school? and then y'all have to pay it back?

Might aught to study on the death tax.

Larry
15 years this year

We wild
loaned the money so hubby could go to school, and paid it back before we were married.
but they did lend husband money for a truck before we were married and they said they would take it off the inheritance rather than he pay it back. How that works dunno. Between him and his parents.
Death tax i think that is like the inheritance tax here.
but some how i think we hijacked this guys thread and he's probably not cool with that.

Wewild":3p1yc23v said:
rockridgecattle":3p1yc23v said:
lost me on the last sentence, I think we have the some sort of death tax, not sure what.

I guess I was asking did the parents loan the money to go to school? and then y'all have to pay it back?

Might aught to study on the death tax.

No there is no such thing as death or inheritance tax in Canada.But when you sell and make a profit you have to pay tax and you cannot sell your property to your kids for a dollar etc.There is a personal exemption for 250000 per person per life time as far as I know and land always appreciates so the value always goes up.In most cases anyways.So someone has to take the tax burden whether it be the parents or the kids.

Latest posts