What to breed my Brockle Face to...

Help Support CattleToday:

Curtis36

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pictures of their favorite cross with black baldy/brockle face cow?

I'm trying to deceide what to breed mine to.

If color is not a factor in your area I would go with a Charolais if she is an easy calver. My :2cents:

Well if its a heifer we are going to keep her cuz I only have a few and I would like a few more... and if it's a bull we sell them privately to friends and family.

Sorry if I sound stupid... I'm new to beef breeds, i'm from dairy stock:)

I was just wondering if there is a preference for what to breed to a baldy/brockle, or if there was an obvious choice. She's a herf/angus

Thanks for the input

Curtis36":2e29fu83 said:
Well if its a heifer we are going to keep her cuz I only have a few and I would like a few more... and if it's a bull we sell them privately to friends and family.

Sorry if I sound stupid... I'm new to beef breeds, i'm from dairy stock:)

I was just wondering if there is a preference for what to breed to a baldy/brockle, or if there was an obvious choice. She's a herf/angus

Thanks for the input
Gelbvieh or Simmenthal

thommoos":1r9te067 said:
Option # 1 terminal go with a char
Option # 2 Get a Gelv for either terminal or replacements.
So why would a char not make a good replacement? Is it because she will always have colored calves?

Char are best known for their terminal characteristics when crossing with the baldies, lots of growth. They will produce a great smoke colored calf. Char mixed with Gerts make great replacements ask middle tenn.

My experience with them and losing calves was not good for replacements. just too much pulling.
Check some of "Hoss's" post about his Gelv's http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=86322
Alacowman could probably answer that question best about the terminal effect of chars.

Chuckie":jiljqoon said:
You mentioned the brockle face, and if you like the white faces, then find a really good bull with a white face. Simmental would be a good choice.

Love that answer :nod: :heart:

I always liked brockle faced cows. The good part is that they come in so many different good crosses that you can raise them; get a really good cross bred animal, and not just a pretty face. :D

IMAG1520.jpg

Here's mine, an OLD cow who's 1/2 herf, half Saler, and her daughter that's 1/2 Gelbvieh... They're certainly 2 of a kind

Her other calves from the same sire, one was a whiteface heifer, the previous was a solid gold heifer, and before that there was 1 brockle and 1 solid red steer

Not the greatest picture, but here's the whiteface daughter.. I don't think she's quite as well built as her younger sister

And the previous one (the cow in the pic)

She's out of a black Simmy blaze face bull, out a 1/2 char brockle face dam with 1/4 Maine some BB/Simmy of forgotten percentages in the last quarter...

But the dam is a good producer, this is her second and both so far have grown like weeds!!

I will tell you, char surely will give you interesting colors and patterns when mixed with other things.
We even have a tan roan from a 75% BB cow.

I think it was Dun that did a thread on the different faces of "Brockle faced" cows. He had the different percentages of each breed, and he showed how much the white would disappear. It was fun to read and look at the pictures. It should have been a coloring book! :D

Latest posts