What the he!@ is going on here

Help Support CattleToday:

larryshoat":3r92ia7t said:
Everything runs in cycles . When corn was $1.80 we knew that could not last, you sure can't raise it for less than $2.00 .If you want to see something real ugly look at the hog business right now . At least the cattle can eat some cheaper feeds . Markets always move from being overbought to being oversold or, vice versa .

Larry

Problem is we have the government sticking its nose in to the free market and demanding that ethanol be a % of all gasoline. Once the government gets involved and says you have to put ethanol in all gas and they use corn to make ethanol there is no doubt it will turn the market upside down.

It will be hard for the market to adjust when government mandates it. We could be looking at a rise in prices that will not adjust or come down because the supply and demand is being controlled from an outside source, that being the government not the free market.

I have read through this post knowing the price of feed fuel ect. Everyone check the stock markets ect. We no longer can control the markets. This is all moving into one world market. We will like it or not. We will be compete with other countries on everything. Other countries have paid 3.50 and up for gasoline for years. Yes, other southern countries will and can produce cheaper beef. Our beef gets too high it will be here.(We have no one in DC that will fight to prevent it) If it wasn't for the appreciation on the land, picking up cans along the highway would have made about the same gross profit as raising cattle. My 1C get ready to compete with the world.
I think grass beef will have a better market because it will be about the same quality of competitions.

hillrancher":214q95sh said:
I have read through this post knowing the price of feed fuel ect. Everyone check the stock markets ect. We no longer can control the markets. This is all moving into one world market. We will like it or not. We will be compete with other countries on everything. Other countries have paid 3.50 and up for gasoline for years. Yes, other southern countries will and can produce cheaper beef. Our beef gets too high it will be here.(We have no one in DC that will fight to prevent it) If it wasn't for the appreciation on the land, picking up cans along the highway would have made about the same gross profit as raising cattle. My 1C get ready to compete with the world.
I think grass beef will have a better market because it will be about the same quality of competitions.

It doesn't matter if you are running 10 cows or 100 to turn a profit this is goig to have to return to ranching of 35 years ago. Maybe not that extreme as we didn't even feed much hay in the winter then, old poor cow that couldn't hustle up enough she just died. These were grass operations on native grass.
As your comment about DC its our fault we grip about the president they are not the problem, the problem is Congress and there lifetime terms. For some reason everyone loves there Congressman and that is just another snake in the barrel. Congress is the lawmaker.

I agree with Caustic. IF some of today's cows require over a half a ton of grain a year to produce a decent calf, either the price of the calf is going to have to come up to pay for that almost $150 per cow grain bill OR new (or old) genetics are going to have to come online that don't require as much groceries.

My opinion is that when you're dumb enough to utilize a product that we (the U.S.) produces, that feeds the world into a tank of Gas we've made a wrong turn. Feed prices have gone up on account of haul bills, commodities being on a roller coaster, and a dash of greed.All of us are going to have to tighten our belts to hang on in this business.We sell feed on a small profit margin, but we sell the dammit out of it. I catch more slack from customers feeding a bunch of Dogs that hardly ever hunt, and are paying more for Dog feed, than it was a few months ago. Our Cattle customers seem to be the least complaintive of all. i will admit, I'm a little apprehensive of what our pricing is going to do after March 31, 2008 when our contracts expire.

Crowderfarms":2vqp4gxm said:
My opinion is that when you're dumb enough to utilize a product that we (the U.S.) produces, that feeds the world into a tank of Gas we've made a wrong turn.

Good Point! So many other ways to push towards better energy than to take food out of peoples mouths to put in an SUV.

Heard something today on radio about Missouri going to demand that something like 5% of diesel be ethanol. They had already did it with gasoline (10% I think) and now they are going after diesel.

aplusmnt":3sjklmm0 said:
Crowderfarms":3sjklmm0 said:
My opinion is that when you're dumb enough to utilize a product that we (the U.S.) produces, that feeds the world into a tank of Gas we've made a wrong turn.

Good Point! So many other ways to push towards better energy than to take food out of peoples mouths to put in an SUV.

Heard something today on radio about Missouri going to demand that something like 5% of diesel be ethanol. They had already did it with gasoline (10% I think) and now they are going after diesel.
aplus if your are going to blame something and run it down atleast have enough sense to blame the right thing. 99% of Your bio diesel will come from soybean oil or animal fats not ethanol from corn. Beware fore I am a Janitor and know not what I speak of!

An older friend of mine told me this one day at the sale barn I've never seen anything so high it won't go lower and I've never seen anything so low it won't go higher.

somn":3e77crm8 said:
aplusmnt":3e77crm8 said:
Crowderfarms":3e77crm8 said:

aplus if your are going to blame something and run it down atleast have enough sense to blame the right thing. 99% of Your bio diesel will come from soybean oil or animal fats not ethanol from corn. Beware fore I am a Janitor and know not what I speak of!

Sorry I did not use the proper term, bio-diesel instead of ethanol! But you do know corn is a vegetable don't you and that even though soybeans are more efficient their will be some corn floating around in Missouri diesel rather its 1% or 99% is irrelevant. Any mandate to require ethanol or bio-diesel in our fuels will have an affect on feed cost as well as many other areas.

Think I saw that one too.. Took some crap from some fish farm, ran it through an algae place down in the desert and than converted it to fuel. It was pretty interesting, at least the one I saw.. think it was Dirty Jobs...

spoon":26sknu8a said:
Aplusmnt, corn is NOT a vegetable. It is a grain.

Wish I knew that back when my mom told me I was not done until I ate my vegetables :lol:

"Botanically speaking, corn is a caryopsis, or dry fruit"

At my house a remark along that line would have gotten me a whack in the back of the head. :D

to have 8 pages of discussion is good..... but until the "cattle" people start writing their congressional leaders requesting a limit of imported beef, we will be outpriced by South american beef. Caustic is right about Congress, we need to start voting out (if Diebold doesn't go against us) the rascals in Congress who keep trying to push this global economy free trade crap that is only free to the other country, takes jobs from Americans and puts people on social programs with a lesser quality of life.

Grains are going to continue to go up. China has put an export tariff on 57 grains. 10% on corn, 30% on wheat. All you have to do is look around, the CBOT corn futures for 12/08 were at $5.47 bushel. There is a grain shortage world wide. I think Rkaiser had an article a month or two back over on Ranchers, how the other countries won through arbitration to the WTO that farmers here in the US were subsidized unfairly with their corn............. the US had to agree to reduce corn subisdy's which they did through using corn for ethanol. Corn farmers aren't getting subisidies anymore, but now the countries complain there is a shortage........... and there is. A few months ago, I saw a report where they were predicting wheat this summer to be $14.50

2009 and 2010 are "critical" in the grain shortages predicted worldwide. Add chemtrails and weather modification to the mix and you don't know who is going to get rain, floods, or drought.

I would have thought most people would be picking/keeping cattle that were easy doing in the first place..... but I agree you will definitely need to make sure you cull the hard doers and there are easy doers in all breeds.

plbcattle":2ek898ec said:
if your in the registered business, your feeding or your getting left behind.

it's sad to see someone who knows what is killing them and they continue to do it...

Talked to a local mill here and they said their futures for corn and DD are going to go down as much as $100 a ton by mid April and may. Everyone is feeding cubes, corn, and other feeds to bulls and to get cows through to grass. When the demand goes down so will the prices. Our bull feed has gone up $50 a ton in 2 months

Angus/Brangus":1rjnm6fy said:
Something I just remembered - my neighbor has 30 acres and he is being paid about $400 a year NOT TO GROW. If we have such a dang shortage of corn and other grains then, why are we still paying potential producers to sit on their a$$ :?: :?: :mad: :shock:

Goverments way of controling things, so we can feed the world for free.

Latest posts