What the he!@ is going on here

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":356oa0oc said:
somn":356oa0oc said:
EAT BEEF":356oa0oc said:
we do have avilable the genetics that will let us get by pretty well on grass.
The industry might have the genetics to get you by on grass problem is there will never be enough grass.

Not enough grass. :? Do explain please...

Around here they are planting houses, not crops. Farm land is disappearing.

The scary part is the growing pop. I don't remember the exact figures but I seen on tv this morning that the pop. of this country will grow from 300 million to something like 438 million by 2050. Where are we going put all them people and how are we going to feed them?

ron

:mad: :devil2: I went in last saturday for ta get me some pro-phos 12 mineral. Cost = $17.70 a 50lb bag. I'd have ta be checkin my last years recipts but I be swearin the last load I picked up a few months ago ran about $12-13 a bag. :devil2: :mad:

Rookie, feed grade phosphate has gone up about $100 a ton since last summer. Good friend is rep. for Mosaaic (Cargill) and they own most of the phosphate in the world I've decided. He said that April 1st it will go up another $250 a ton. That will put it at about $625 a ton. Where will it end. ?????

Thats just it, somewhere somehow the costs of grain and additives will have to level out, or there will be no more farmers left. People can't continue on with a cost of everything increasing and the pay staying the same or falling, thats just easy Economics 101.

GMN

GMN":y516uqb6 said:
Thats just it, somewhere somehow the costs of grain and additives will have to level out, or there will be no more farmers left. People can't continue on with a cost of everything increasing and the pay staying the same or falling, thats just easy Economics 101.

GMN

If the price of beef was increasing commensurately, consumers would be screaming.

Once enough farmers go under, the supply and demand may change if too much beef is not imported. It seems to me that is what it will take for the balance to shift. To many of us only run cattle part time. Breaking even on cattle and selling hay to make nickels hurts the full time folks.

Once the cattle prices escalate, we'll be feeding grass and not selling hay. That is "where the grass will come from" to answer another post IMHO; I'll be feeding it instead of selling it. No baling expenses other than what I need to winter.

backhoeboogie":21o6w2ko said:
Once enough farmers go under, the supply and demand may change if too much beef is not imported. It seems to me that is what it will take for the balance to shift. To many of us only run cattle part time. Breaking even on cattle and selling hay to make nickels hurts the full time folks.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

whatsupdoc3

The reason we can't do that is that the rest of the world can't or won't pay those kinds of prices for US commodities. We would only further price ourself out of the international market.

Why do you think US consumers are buying so many imported agricultural commodities themselves?

Dump the milk on the ground pull the bulls off the cows for a breeding season and so on: quote:

Unfortunately that doesn't pay our bills, and would be extremely foolish.

GMN

Cattlemen have never stuck together, I don't see it happening.
Cattlemen on this board to can't agree that all cow needs is grass.
How are going to agree on anything else.

$90 a barrel oil works out to $2.14+ per gallon. Remember that is crude, at the wellhead. It doesn't include transportation, refining costs, delivery costs to the station, taxes, retail profits, etc. I paid $2.78 a gallon yesterday. That is a 64 cent per gallon mark up.What other business operates on a 30% markkup? Have you checked the price of bread, produce, bottled water, etc. compared to the costs of the raw materials that go into them?

When I was studying marketing in college (many years ago) it was assumed that the retail price of most products would be 300-500 % of actual production costs.

To start, better grasses and genetics that only require grass are going to become more valuable. Native grasses are a thing of the past, if you jumped on that boat then you already know. Places that have high expences due to the terrain and climate will hurt(up North) and places with more favorable climates (such as South America) will increase production.

Does any one actually see corn prices going down? Not any time soon. The price will have to go up considerably for more production to increase. That will be a while. If you want "finish" you will have to pay for it.( I have lived off of beef off our own property my whole life, no grain, no finish. Most of the cattle have stong Brahma influence and will eat the bark off a post if necessary.)

Urban sprawl is a true factor that will limit the amount of grass. :(

If there is a boycott, someone is going to cross the picket line as soon as the price gets up a little. You'd probably bankrupt the middleman feedlots and put them out of business.

Caustic Burno":2jmfjj5m said:

Yup, people would rather cry that "the market" won't conform to the way they want to raise their cattle (the way Texas A&M and all those others tell them). :lol2: Guess who is going to get left behind. ;-) YOu work for the market, they do not work for you. :)

CB, I'm glad you posted my feeling about this because if I had said it I would have been tarred and feathered by some of the folks on here that seem to know everything about a fellow from a few words posted on the WWW. I got the chance to ask Max Armstrong about the possibilities of the US herd going to grass fed on one of his recent call in TV infomercials with the Cargill reps they all but laughed me off the phone. I'd like to see that rep right now, so I could see him laughing out the other side of his face. Let the spears fly.

whatsupdoc3":37ltvcpd said:
Brute 23":37ltvcpd said:
Caustic Burno":37ltvcpd said:

Yup, people would rather cry that "the market" won't conform to the way they want to raise their cattle (the way Texas A&M and all those others tell them). :lol2: Guess who is going to get left behind. ;-) YOu work for the market, they do not work for you. :)

The farmer could and should own the market its no ones fault but ours.

Sad thing is the oil companys run the market. What they do influences the market no matter what. The sooner the Gov. takes control of that then things can level out. They don't allow Dell to monopolize the computer market but the let Oil Companies as a whole monopolize the whole US market. :x

whatsupdoc3":3cmxefyz said:
GMN":3cmxefyz said:
Dump the milk on the ground pull the bulls off the cows for a breeding season and so on: quote:

Unfortunately that doesn't pay our bills, and would be extremely foolish.

GMN

I will ask you a not so foolish question. Read and think about where the markets are headed. How in the world are you going to pay the bills that away? Cant you see, hear, or feal the sucking sounds of things going under real fast?

Set back and dont think or do anything and see just where or what that gets you. Nothing short of a bigger hole to dig out from. :idea:

Thankfully I think most farmers out there have a second income, who has the milk check as there sole income these days, and why on earth should it be the dairy farmers responsiblity to change the world?What do you think we can possibly do to change the high cost of everything? Give us all some ideas, seems you have all the simple answers?

GMN

Folks have sipping the kool aid so long you don't know what the real thing should look or taste like. And it shows in all the whining. Lock your gates and let them eat grass. If you don't have enough grass unlock the gate and let some out. If your still losing money, give someone else the key to the gate.

Latest posts