What the he!@ is going on here

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":3o0y7hi3 said:
Looks like your are going to have to start selecting for cattle that can perform on grass only. I think this is going to become more apparent to the new cattleman with rising cost. Have to go back to the old fashion way, cattle that perform on grass and hay only.

which cattle preform best on grass and hay?

Caustic Burno":1hlkavjb said:
Looks like your are going to have to start selecting for cattle that can perform on grass only. I think this is going to become more apparent to the new cattleman with rising cost. Have to go back to the old fashion way, cattle that perform on grass and hay only.

:clap: :clap: :clap: I was looking and hoping someone would say this.

onecowfarms1":165ta9lt said:
Caustic Burno":165ta9lt said:

Any.

onecowfarms1":2nprs4h4 said:
Caustic Burno":2nprs4h4 said:

There is no majic bullet here it is management all about selection of easy keepers.
Some cattle are better suited than others for different enviroments.
There are not bad breeds just poor cattlemen.

Caustic Burno":3ife2rd4 said:

We for one run a grass fed, natural, no hormones or implants, no grain being fed diet for our longhorns. Of course, we feed "natural" grass hay. We buy higher protein hay and have eliminated the need to purchase range cubes (except for limited "training" uses). Ours seem to be doing ok and putting/maintaining weight on this diet. Our minerals do not contain any urea as source of the protein.

Thus, all we have to worry about is inflated hay prices (compared to previous years, that is). Know hay prices involve a "trickle down" or "trickle up" economic issue that we have no control over.

Running Arrow Bill":cp69kf5p said:
Caustic Burno":cp69kf5p said:

We for one run a grass fed, natural, no hormones or implants, no grain being fed diet for our longhorns. Of course, we feed "natural" grass hay. We buy higher protein hay and have eliminated the need to purchase range cubes (except for limited "training" uses). Ours seem to be doing ok and putting/maintaining weight on this diet. Our minerals do not contain any urea as source of the protein.

Thus, all we have to worry about is inflated hay prices (compared to previous years, that is). Know hay prices involve a "trickle down" or "trickle up" economic issue that we have no control over.

If you could knock the horns off them bred with a Brangus bull, you would have a cow that could eat barb wire and briars and raise a calf.

Feed stores aren't getting the good end of this at all $12.00 profit in a ton of sacked cake thats .30 a bag you have to unload it ,put it up, load it back up into a truck full of junk you trip over they have a fit if theres a small tear in a bag and want a discount if one cube fell out. After this you wait till the end of the month to see if you get paid. Fert price is crazy but profit margin is still the same per ton so you invest twice as much, get same profit per ton and don't sell half as much. around here that is $30.00 a ton + or -, if it's blended. Don't think I would want to own a farm store right now unless I had lots of pet and horse customers and who can stand to deal with them all day :?:

ethanol is the problem we have traded cheap food for fuel that still costs $3.00 :devil2:

I don't think ethanol is the fix but it sure has shock things up it will be interesting to see who is left after it plays out the crop guys may be the worst off when it's over with all the new toy payments, landlords who won't take less, and there inputs remaining high? I think the cattle industry has more options we do have avilable the genetics that will let us get by pretty well on grass.

Caustic Burno":2m98mcat said:

Oh heaven forbid. Don't say that around here..... :shock: Some body post a study that says the benefits of feeding grain,,
hurry. :lol2:

No panic here... 8)

Brute 23":26jv9fri said:
Caustic Burno":26jv9fri said:
Oh heaven forbid. Don't say that around here..... :shock: Some body post a study that says the benefits of feeding grain,, hurry. :lol2:No panic here...  8)

The packers love the way you folks make beef.NOT !    :lol:  :lol:

Grow what should be grown where it should be grown.

EAT BEEF":2uwgqlgg said:
we do have avilable the genetics that will let us get by pretty well on grass.
The industry might have the genetics to get you by on grass problem is there will never be enough grass.

Somm you hit the nail on the head. Also what CB says is true for the cow herd just wont work for the finishers.

somn":23s3bg6p said:
EAT BEEF":23s3bg6p said:
The industry might have the genetics to get you by on grass problem is there will never be enough grass.

Well if we don't have enough grass we are S.O.L They have alot of grass in south america

Blame Ethanol if you want for increased grain/feed prices, it does have an impact but also we need to be aware that China is now a net importer of grain instead of an exporter and our weakened dollar makes exports of our grain more attractive than it was with a strong dollar. This export market will have a more serious long term impact on grain prices than corn based ethanol probably but maybe that has to do with my pessimism with startch based ethanol produciton.

I am surely not happy about the prices of feed if you have to purchase feed but we for one just got several semi loads of distillers for less than we paid 3 years ago for it and in the end found out we could have gotten it for even less if we had waited a week and got it from a closer plant. I agree with Mike, I really don't think these prices are anything yet and yeah, there will be empty pastures.. Listen to what Wheat is getting right now...

Brute 23":2pnhj30n said:
somn":2pnhj30n said:
EAT BEEF":2pnhj30n said:

Not enough grass. :? Do explain please...
Where is the grass going to come from to raise a hundred thousand plus cattle to acceptable butcher size/condition and still have any left for the basic cow herd in the US?

What I was trying to say is we need a cowherd that doesn't need extras to get them thru. That would save some feed. I think south america could beat us any day on the grass finished cattle. imo thats not the answer in the U.S. unless you have a nich market.

EAT BEEF":2c784x1u said:
What I was trying to say is we need a cowherd that doesn't need extras to get them thru. That would save some feed. I think south america could beat us any day on the grass finished cattle. imo thats not the answer in the U.S. unless you have a nich market.
Exactly right. The US and Canada have produced the majority of the fat cattle on cheap grain, that's partly what opened the door for importing the lean beef from mainly S America. If we can;t raise the fat cattle a country like Brazil may turn some of their grazing land to corn production ans expoert the corn or fat cattle to the US.

Either hang on or get out. It's going to get worse for the next couple of years. Feed is going to continue to rise, just like everything else is doing. I don't think that you're going to see anything but a downward trend in cattle pricing.

I'm in pretty good shape on grass, so I'm concentrating on building my herd in quantity and quality. If I were having to buy hay or feed, I would be getting out of the cow business...

Brute 23":vzjf82nw said:
somn":vzjf82nw said:
EAT BEEF":vzjf82nw said:

Not enough grass. :? Do explain please...
It seems you think there will be enough grass so tell me where are we going to graze the 12+ million head of fed cattle at? In addition to your cow and bull herds. Anyone who thinks there is enough grass in America to pasture all the fed cattle knows very little about the cattle industry.

Latest posts