What the he!@ is going on here

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus/Brangus":2yrx6ikf said:
Something I just remembered - my neighbor has 30 acres and he is being paid about $400 a year NOT TO GROW. If we have such a dang shortage of corn and other grains then, why are we still paying potential producers to sit on their a$$ :?: :?: :mad: :shock:
What is the commodity they are being paid not to plant?

Not sure of all the specifics for CRP land, but hubby says when they get the contract they have to sew the cropland in grass and leave it there for 10 years.

I thought it was around $70 an acre but maybe that is dependent upon the area as 30 acres for 400 is about $103.33 an acre.

It's one of the things I think the farm bill could do away with personally and save some money.

MoGal":3shdrwxf said:
Not sure of all the specifics for CRP land, but hubby says when they get the contract they have to sew the cropland in grass and leave it there for 10 years.

I thought it was around $70 an acre but maybe that is dependent upon the area as 30 acres for 400 is about $103.33 an acre.

It's one of the things I think the farm bill could do away with personally and save some money.
Ah more of that funny math I see alot of on here.

Angus/Brangus":shaxknpo said:
somn":shaxknpo said:
Angus/Brangus":shaxknpo said:
Something I just remembered - my neighbor has 30 acres and he is being paid about $400 a year NOT TO GROW. If we have such a dang shortage of corn and other grains then, why are we still paying potential producers to sit on their a$$ :?: :?: :mad: :shock:

He tells me if he accepts the money, he is not allowed to profit from the land in any other fashion, hay included.

Call it funny math or anything else you care to call it but it's not right to reward folks for not growing when we need such products as corn. And this area is known for corn production as well as soybean and cotton. It'd be nice if our government started taking care of it's own by incentives for production rather than free rides for nothing.

Thats even funnier than the math.

Angus/Brangus":3h9azjf5 said:
somn":3h9azjf5 said:
Angus/Brangus":3h9azjf5 said:

He tells me if he accepts the money, he is not allowed to profit from the land in any other fashion, hay included.

Call it funny math or anything else you care to call it but it's not right to reward folks for not growing when we need such products as corn. And this area is known for corn production as well as soybean and cotton. It'd be nice if our government started taking care of it's own by incentives for production rather than free rides for nothing.
Free ride for nothing huh. The man makes $13 per acre for signing a contract with the government to leave the land idle. He pays $25 for real estate taxes per acre. Thats not real smart to start with but it Seems you might just be one of those anti farmer types.

onecowfarms1":2h0fa5ct said:
what would all the banks do if you stopped producing ,and not pay the morage or take out a loan for new tractors are they going to take all the land in every state it would be devastation to them !

Good...you first!

Somn: Sorry, I did make a mistake in my math............ should have been $13.33 ......... my error and apologies. Its never my intention to mislead anybody, however I do make many mistakes and this was one of them.

I don't think anybody around here puts it in CRP that cheaply, so I guess it must be dependent upon the area.

However I did find out that real estate taxes (in Perry County, MO anyways) figures the soil as part of the taxes.... from level 1 to level 7 depending on whether it has rocks, timber or type of soil as a 40 acre tract was cheaper than the 35 acre tract and I was told that was why. Now what will they think of next.

I guess every area is different but they could rent it out as pasture or get the hay from it and make more money .... although the acreage across from the homeplace the guy cuts and roundbales it every fall, but he could have had 3 cuttings instead of one.

I guess I missed it when you all insisted that the corn farmers take more for there crop a couple of years ago 8) If you will look at our ''cheap'' $ and the export demand you will see the most of the rise in cost of grain.DDG are even in great demand for export which has dashed the hopes of many feeders for a cheap alternative to regular grain! What we are seeing now is ''market price'' for some things that you are used to buying on sale. We could shut off the exports but history tells us when ''Carter'' did it, the outcome was not good. We could ''freeze'' the price of feed but history tells us when ''Nixon'' did this the results were not good for the cattle producers! We should be very carefull what we wish for :cowboy:

Angus/Brangus":2cxogdq3 said:
You might want to find some other way to rub because this one isn't working. I'm not anti-farmer - I have many relatives that farm, none of which skate - but rather anti-free ride. Even hay would come out ahead: 30 acres at 4 bales per acre = 120 bales x 3 cuttings = 360 bales x $40 p/bale equals what?? Even after fertilizer and baling costs, this guy would come out way ahead of $400 government free ride dollars per year. Maybe the I change the wording from "free ride" to "not so smart".

They need to change the rule to no production equals no income. With that said, we also need import/export rules which allow our farmers to make a fair income off their products so there will be an incentive to produce.
It is his choice what he does with the land if he wants to lose $12 per acre on it let him that is his choice. Not the smartest thing to do but that is what he wants to do. I would atleast try to get the taxes back that I paid but maybe they don't. Paying to leave land idle is just as crooked as being required to pay taxes on land you already bought and own. But don't pay those real estate taxes and you will find out real quick you never owned the land in the first place. So getting half your taxes back is better than nothing given the choices. But one thing I've never liked is when I hear someone say they should be made to plant that land into a crop we are short of. I would never tell someone they can't raise alpacas, ostrich, praire dogs, highlands, emu, or anything else on their land it is theirs to do as they wish just as my land is mine to do as I wish.

Its not about just a free ride, the whole concept is for wildlife. The CRP (conservation reserve program) and the WRP (wetlands reserve program) is to make more natural habitat for local wildlife. Just like some people complain that suburbia is taking all the farmland, well farming and suburbia is taking all the wildlife habitat. Just a way to get small pockets of natural habitat to stay natural.

The CRP program was established to allow producers to turn their land to more productive use. Some land should never have been plowed because of erosion problems (HEL). If a producer wants to turn it back to grassland, he can enroll it into CRP. The government helps him up front to reestablish natural grasses and pays "rent" for a certain number of years. At the end of the enrollemnt period, he's on his own to profit from the reclaimed land.

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/crp/

When the government agreed to subsdize grain farmers, they also promised to set a floor on prices. Those floors haven't made farmers very rich over the years, but they have kept food prices down in this country. Livestock producers elected not to join the government subsidy program. I think they makde the right decision.

Frankie wrote: Livestock producers elected not to join the government subsidy program. I think they makde the right decision.

Do you not think the $3,201 you got for Livestock Disasters was a SUBSIDY?

Not to mention the other $11,109 you got for Conservation. :shock:

MikeC":2lf24mf5 said:
Frankie wrote: Livestock producers elected not to join the government subsidy program. I think they makde the right decision.

Not in the sense that grain farmers are subsidized for growing a crop every year or not growing a crop every year or for having a guranteed price for their product.

We've taken government money during drought periods and used cost share for erosion control. If you want to call those subsidies, go ahead. I don't.

Frankie":2b8bg7hk said:
MikeC":2b8bg7hk said:

Not in the sense that grain farmers are subsidized for growing a crop every year or not growing a crop every year or for having a guranteed price for their product.

We've taken government money during drought periods and used cost share for erosion control. If you want to call those subsidies, go ahead. I don't.

Money given by a goverment to an individual or group is a subsidy. Period.

"sub·si·dy (sbs-d)
n. pl. sub·si·dies
1. Monetary assistance granted by a government to a person or group in support of an enterprise regarded as being in the public interest.
2. Financial assistance given by one person or government to another."

Angus/Brangus":3ahekcxe said:
somn":3ahekcxe said:
Free ride for nothing huh. The man makes $13 per acre for signing a contract with the government to leave the land idle. He pays $25 for real estate taxes per acre. Thats not real smart to start with but it Seems you might just be one of those anti farmer types.

You might want to find some other way to rub because this one isn't working. I'm not anti-farmer - I have many relatives that farm, none of which skate - but rather anti-free ride. Even hay would come out ahead: 30 acres at 4 bales per acre = 120 bales x 3 cuttings = 360 bales x $40 p/bale equals what?? Even after fertilizer and baling costs, this guy would come out way ahead of $400 government free ride dollars per year. Maybe the I change the wording from "free ride" to "not so smart".

They need to change the rule to no production equals no income. With that said, we also need import/export rules which allow our farmers to make a fair income off their products so there will be an incentive to produce.

More funny math.

Grass hay here is $20 per 1500lb bale. could get 2 tons per acre on a good year. Thats 106 bales at $20 = 2120. Now you sbtract fuel, fertilizer, equipment, repairs. It usually comes ou that you make about $5/ hr. Do you work for that?

Horticattleman":3jki9p4h said:
Its not about just a free ride, the whole concept is for wildlife. The CRP (conservation reserve program) and the WRP (wetlands reserve program) is to make more natural habitat for local wildlife. Just like some people complain that suburbia is taking all the farmland, well farming and suburbia is taking all the wildlife habitat. Just a way to get small pockets of natural habitat to stay natural.

You are exactly right. And if you are a hunter you can appreciate what it has done for wildlife. Too bad they didn't start a program way earlier for Quail. They are gone in most areas, not to be returned. So is part of the tradition of birdhunting. Something I grew up with, and am very saddened to see gone here.

JMichal":3fszdh4y said:
Too bad they didn't start a program way earlier for Quail. They are gone in most areas, not to be returned. So is part of the tradition of birdhunting. Something I grew up with, and am very saddened to see gone here.

You might be surprised. This farm and the last one with just a little quail habitat improvement and management we've gone from occasioanlly hearing a quail to having several coveys. If there are any birds in the area and you make the habitat hospitable, they'll come. You could also join your local Quail Forever chapter.

dun":2ze8qvj6 said:
JMichal":2ze8qvj6 said:
Too bad they didn't start a program way earlier for Quail. They are gone in most areas, not to be returned. So is part of the tradition of birdhunting. Something I grew up with, and am very saddened to see gone here.

You might be surprised. This farm and the last one with just a little quail habitat improvement and management we've gone from occasioanlly hearing a quail to having several coveys. If there are any birds in the area and you make the habitat hospitable, they'll come. You could also join your local Quail Forever chapter.

I have spent over $10,000 and about 960 hours in the last 2.5 years on Quail habitat. I have a 600 acre farm and have been woking on approximatly 80 Acres thus far with a biologist. We have planted 15 thickets, each having 77 shrubs. American Plum, Roughleaf Dogwood, False Indigo, and Hazel nut. We have converted 20 acres to NWSG anf Forbs in Patches. We winter disc varios patches. I spent 1 whole year edge feathering the timber areas. We hope we will get some birds, haven't seen any yet. I run Pointers and Setters in Field Trials so habitat management has become an addiction. I wish everyone with 40 acres would renovate for Quail habitat. We then again may have a sustainable poulation. It takes biodiversity. I see huge patch of Ragweed as beneficial, You all see it as weeds. Ragweed seed has the highest protein of all quail feed, and is most beneficial to winter survival.