What should kids pay for expenses?

Help Support CattleToday:

Tep

Reaction score
I am wondering what to charge my 3 girls for their cows? I want them to learn that nothing is free (ok, grandpa gave each one a cow), that there are expeneses (grass rent, vacc, salt and mineral, ect.). But I also want them to make a profit, which goes to their savings acct. They are to young to understand the exact amount, but the oldest has started helping with fence and feeding. The 3 year old can help feed the calves. Has anyone ever done this before? Thanks for your advice.

You're kidding right?

Yes they have to learn the value of a dollar and it doesn't grow on trees and work is involved with that, but You agreed to the so
The best way to go about it is having them do their chores for themselves. That is alot in itself depending on all of their ages.

If you really want to get down to a spreadsheet type of thing, I don't think an allowance is going to cut it for raising a cow or calf.
You're going to have to just keep track of what you would spend on such items, keep a log for each girl and then have them pay you off in the end from the profits.

Nothing. If they're helping, you're providing them with a love for cattle, and a possible start on their own herd.

Depends on their ages, you probably just need to enjoy the time you get to spend with them , AND count your blessings.

I am with the others on here. In reality just getting them involved with cattle and the daily chores is very good training. What I would do is put a value on the cows and start a set of books that they help keep up with. They need to keep up with those books and the cattle, calves, sales, marketing, and everything else relitive to the operation.
Years ago I was involved in Junior Acheivement. I got more usable education from that than I ever got from any other school text book. You can do basicly the same thing with your kids and a their cattle business.

I think you will find the you spend with them out on the farm is priceless. Keep them involved in the farm and they will learn how it works.

the repayment for you is spending time with your kids and hopefully oneday seeing the work ethic and knowledge you instilled in them come to pay off Treasure your kids everyday and hopefully you will see them grow into responsible human beings because we never know when they might not be here and that is a terrible thing but yes make them pay for the large things ( feed,salt mineral and meds) but don,t get nit picky on pasture rent and every little thing the work they do to care for them and you being able to teach and spend time with them is worht far more than any small amounts of grass
Treat evryday like it is their last because you never know when it might be

From my perspective, the gift is actually yours. Teach them the true value of that gift. How to make the most of it etc.

backhoeboogie":y74hm014 said:
From my perspective, the gift is actually yours. Teach them the true value of that gift. How to make the most of it etc.
backhoe makes a good point, someday you'll leave them everything you have and they need to be responsible with what they've been given whether they've worked for it or whether it is a gift . We are blessed to live in a country that enjoys an abundance of just about everything .The challenge is to teach them to work hard,appreciate what they have while living in an environment of plenty .

Larry

I am with the others. I wouldn't charge them rent or anything else if they were helping with the chores. You don't want them working all year and then receiving a bill for most of what the calf is worth, sending them the message that work and cows don't pay (even if sometimes that is truth). Put the money in some sort of educational account where YOU get a tax credit. The tax credit ought to cover most of your expenses.

http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/askdave/i ... temId=6120

What do you charge them for room and board, laundry and maid service?

my grandpa gives me my pick out of our heard each year. but in return i work for him. i clean the barn feed take care of all my responsiblities and i get to spend time with him. normally i disk feilds or help him burn off sections of his pasture.

grand chaser09":1fueu4th said:
my grandpa gives me my pick out of our heard each year. but in return i work for him. i clean the barn feed take care of all my responsiblities and i get to spend time with him. normally i disk feilds or help him burn off sections of his pasture.

Words like that can make grown men cry. It brings back all kinds of memories of my youth and my grandparents/parents. Value your grandaddy while you have him.

backhoeboogie":3f6yr8m7 said:
grand chaser09":3f6yr8m7 said:

Words like that can make grown men cry. It brings back all kinds of memories of my youth and my grandparents/parents. Value your grandaddy while you have him.

Amen to that!

Last year was my daughters first year to show in 4-H and she raised goats. 2 goats were pruchased, along with feed, halters, feeders, etc. I paid for all of it. About a month before the show, one goat was injured by a dog and had to be put down, so she only had one to take to the show. My daughter's job was to take care of the goat, exercise, feed, groom etc. I also encouraged her to turn in a record book on her project and take the quiz, which she did. The record book is where she learned where every penny was going and how much it actually cost to raise. She did make the premium sale with the one goat, which paid all expenses and with some money left over. Since she had a little extra this year, I let her buy something for herself. It was only around $20, but it showed her the value of hard work. Next year she may not come out so good, but it's the experience that is worth everything, whether she realizes that right now or not.

I believe if you teach good stewardship and animal husbandry to a young one, the financial aspects will fall into place as they grow older and mature.

backhoeboogie":1ouszids said:

I agree wholeheartedly backhoe.... I gave my 14yr old daughter a choice of one heifer out of several as long as she fed it, and took care of it while we had it separated. As long as she fulfilled her obligation, then I told her once she bred we would put the profits from the sale of her calf into a college saver account. That was three years ago, and I have never regretted doing that. The life experience her and I share is invaluable, as well as seeing her being interested in the cattle and wanting to know all about them.

Both of my kids have 4 cows a piece. The only thing they get charged is the yard fees after their calves are sold. This year we didn't charge them because they only sold 1 calf a piece in the auction barn.
We don't charge them for the feed, bull, pasture or anything else.
Son is not too big on the cattle, but he does like to hay and fix fence on his 4-wheeler.
Daughter loves her cows and enjoys feeding them.
They both know that the calves are their college money.

Tep":2418ro2w said:
I am wondering what to charge my 3 girls for their cows? I want them to learn that nothing is free (ok, grandpa gave each one a cow), that there are expeneses (grass rent, vacc, salt and mineral, ect.). But I also want them to make a profit, which goes to their savings acct. They are to young to understand the exact amount, but the oldest has started helping with fence and feeding. The 3 year old can help feed the calves. Has anyone ever done this before? Thanks for your advice.

Are these cows to be kept for calving or to be sold?

I don't think it is wrong to take out of the sale money (if/when they are sold) for extras that have to be purchased such a vaccines and meds if needed. BUT I do agree with everyone else that to charge for grass, salt and minerals etc. that you have to have for your own cattle anyways is a bit much. They get to work along side you and see their hard work pay off everyday that the cow is alive..That is the best lesson they will ever learn about ethics and commitment. Plus the money will be going into their savings account hopefully to further their education... They will learn nothing in life is free by all the hard work they put in to those cattle..

My grandfather gave me my first cow when I was about 10. I paid nothing to keep her on the ranch except my time, which I had done before getting the cow to show that I would be responsible. I helped my sister (who was 16 and also had a cow) feed, helpd my mother checking the cows during calving and riding around on my bicycle during the summer to check the cows and calves with my list and ensure they were all doing well. I may not have paid for the cows feed but I did learn that if you want to have cows you have to work hard. Mom always sat down and did the books with us so that we knew what our cow was costing even though we didn't pay it. I did pay auction market fees as we each had a seperate check given to us from the market. It's exciting when you are ten to have a real check with you name on it.
If they help with the cows then you are trading their labour for the cows board. If they get lazy and don't help then you ding them for everything, that is my advice.

Tep":38psnk3i said:

Tep

A neighbour of mine lost all three of his kids this past summer due to a drunk driver - the kids were legally parked at a drive-in restaurant - ice cream sundaes after a hot day in the hay field - compliments of Dad - and this guy hopped the curb and ran into them at over 100 miles an hour.

You take those kids and love them hard - get them to help you - do not drive them too hard. That is the cost - and that is what we did with our kids. Nothing more.

You might not have them tomorrow.

Every day is a blessing that could disappear tomorrow.

Despite your bills, you are a wealthy man - that is what you truly need to teach them.

Pontification over ......

Bez+

I love how things can be put into prospective for you. As to Dun's comment, yes they are expected to clean their rooms and pick up after themselves. They go and check the cows with me and I point out their cow. I don't remember who said it, but as long as they help they won't get charged. And the older they get the more they can help. Nobody did this for me as a kid so I didn't know. Thanks for all your comments.

Latest posts