What should I do with this solar panel stuff?

Help Support CattleToday:

LauraleesFarm

Reaction score
This property came with an entire setup for solar energy. It has two Trace 5500 converters (I'm thinking that's what they are from memory). A huge bunch of big batteries, and panels (8 or 10) on top of the shop. It reportedly worked for the first 3 years and then quit. Nobody knows why it won't run. When it was running, it handled the electric bill by itself, for the prior owner's home.

What should I do with this stuff? I don't see a lot of folks advertising for solar repair work. Is there a market for used, nonworking, setups?

The way the electrical is set up, my house is on a different meter. Only the shop and cabin are currently on the setup which has the solar system, and it is wired in to a serviced electrical meter. The house that belonged to the prior owner burned down, and this system was connected to the house and paid the bills. So getting the system running again would only benefit me by paying the electrical bill for the shop and cabin (which is not much).

Make a really great electric fence out of it?

Want me to drive up and get that unsightly and probably hazardous mess out of your way? I don't mind--really.

My brother has solar panels on his house. I can tell you that they are VERY expensive. Thousands of dollars. I would do some research and look into different solar panel companies to see if the panels can be recycled or if they have any resale value. As much as they cost, I can't imagine just junking them. The batteries can probably be recycled and may be worth something too.

Check the batteries and see if they still have water in them or have boiled dry. They are the most expensive part of a standalone system. I would not think there would be too much wrong with the complete system being only 3 years old when it quit. Inverters can be expensive to repair but if you were not going to connect it to the grid very economical components can be purchased on ebay and work very well. The price of panels has decreased dramatically over the last few years so I don't think you would get a real lot for them but they are still worth something. The batteries would be worth a bit if you could show that they still held a charge and tested OK with a hydrometer.
Ken

chippie":1ugbdwxz said:
My brother has solar panels on his house. I can tell you that they are VERY expensive. Thousands of dollars. I would do some research and look into different solar panel companies to see if the panels can be recycled or if they have any resale value. As much as they cost, I can't imagine just junking them. The batteries can probably be recycled and may be worth something too.
Thanks chippie!! :clap: :roll:

(Gee..tryin' to work a little bidness deal here and people bustin' me down every step of the way)
:D :D

Hmm--you wanna trade for crazycow? I got just the one. I'll come up and load the solar stuff--you come down here and catch and load crazycow. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts