what should be proper nutrition for calves and for how long

Help Support CattleToday:

starlink

Reaction score
Hello everyone, what a nice forum..

I was wondering if anyone could help us with more information on how to raise young calves. My husband has done it a very long time ago, and I have never done it, and of course worry a lot about our 4 calves, who are about a month old.

How much nutrition should they get a day? We give them milk formula for calves, twice a day as instruction says. Also we give them calf startena couple times a day. Do we need to give anything else for their proper nutrition? Do we need to give them vitamins of any sort?
How long should we bottle feed them before letting them join the main herd?

that's my first questions I ponder on. Thank you in advance to everyone who will respond.

starlink":3qayvyci said:
How much nutrition should they get a day? We give them milk formula for calves, twice a day as instruction says.

Make sure your milk replacer is at least 20% fat and protein and all milk products - no soy! I'm not a big believer in the twice a day/one gallon of milk replacer a day thing. I try to mimic the natural conditions as much as possible, and always feed mine 2 gallons of milk replacer/day in at least 3 feedings - 4 is better because calves on their mothers will nurse numerous times throughout the day.

Also we give them calf startena couple times a day. Do we need to give anything else for their proper nutrition?

Grain of some sort - whether it's Startena or COB should be in front of them at all times, but don't give them a lot until they start eating it good because if it sits for very long they tend to not eat it. I generally give mine only a very small handful, and change it at the next feeding if they haven't ate it, until they start eating good. If you're having problems getting them started, you might check into AS70 Range N Gro (hubbard feeds makes it). It's a medicated receiver ration that is licorice flavored (for some reason cattle seem to love licorice) and can make a big difference in getting calves started on grain, plus it helps prevent pneumonia. At a month old a good quality hay needs to be available in sufficient quantity, also. I would start with grass and introduce alfalfa slowly until you're able to feed grass in the morning and alfalfa in the evening (or vice versa).

Do we need to give them vitamins of any sort?

If you're feeding them properly, they are getting all the vitamins they need.

How long should we bottle feed them before letting them join the main herd?

The time length of bottle feeding varies from person to person, I generally bottle feed mine until they are 3-4 months old, but a lot of people wean at 1-2 months. I'm not sure I understand where you are coming from with the question about joining the main herd. Our weaning calves - whether they are bottle raised or raised on their mothers - do not join the main herd until they are due to calve because they cannot compete for feed and will be knocked around by the older/bigger animals due to their size.

that's my first questions I ponder on. Thank you in advance to everyone who will respond.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best with your animals.

forgive me, but i have to ask.

these calves are off their momma right?

Aero":1pb6e65p said:

We bought them at the auction, and brought to our property, so of course they are off their momma.

What bothers me they always seem to want more, after they finish the bottle. So I am wondering if they need more than the formula instruction says, but at the same time half an hour after their feeding, if I have any extra formula left and offer , no one looks interested at all..

thank you for your help

msscamp":bn0lqq1c said:
At a month old a good quality hay needs to be available in sufficient quantity, also. I would start with grass and introduce alfalfa slowly until you're able to feed grass in the morning and alfalfa in the evening (or vice versa).

that something i didn't know , thank you!!!

thank you for all your advice..

starlink":3lgpqyox said:
Aero":3lgpqyox said:

We bought them at the auction, and brought to our property, so of course they are off their momma.

What bothers me they always seem to want more, after they finish the bottle. So I am wondering if they need more than the formula instruction says, but at the same time half an hour after their feeding, if I have any extra formula left and offer , no one looks interested at all..
thank you for your help

Par for the course. The little darlin's want to continue to suck, but when they quit it's like about 15 minutes later the fact that they've had enough registers.

Since they're on the bottle instead of their mother they can't jump up and take a sip just any time. Maybe they think they need to really stock up for the long night...and maybe I need to remember not to give calves too much credit for being able to think...ding, ding, ding.... :p

Alice

starlink":2cd4q6ke said:
msscamp":2cd4q6ke said:
At a month old a good quality hay needs to be available in sufficient quantity, also. I would start with grass and introduce alfalfa slowly until you're able to feed grass in the morning and alfalfa in the evening (or vice versa).

that something i didn't know , thank you!!!

thank you for all your advice..

You're welcome! Good luck with your calves.

starlink":313kf20v said:
Aero":313kf20v said:

thank you for your help

After I bottle feed mine, I offer them the calf starter and the go right to it and eat. Seems to fill up their bellies. I have had the same experience. I have had calves with scours and when I go out at noon with another bottle, they look at me like I'm nuts. They won't take it, even though I know those electrolytes aren't sticking to their ribs. They are just on a schedule and they look for me at certain times of day.

Lammie":olahzu66 said:
I have had calves with scours and when I go out at noon with another bottle, they look at me like I'm nuts. They won't take it, even though I know those electrolytes aren't sticking to their ribs. They are just on a schedule and they look for me at certain times of day.

It could be that the scours have their stomach upset enough that they aren't hungry, or perhaps you're over feeding the electrolytes? I feed my younger (birth until they are eating at least a cup of COB twice a day) bottle babies at least 3 times a day, 4 if possible - and have never, ever had one refuse a bottle - but in the rare case that scours could be a problem, my calves are treated at the first hint of them.

No. I am usually alternating milk and electrolytes. After electrolytes for breakfast, I thougt they would want something in the middle of the day. Might be their stomach's upset. I don't know. Yhe last group I raise would take a bottle any time, anywhere, anything. I have a set of twins that seem to be a little puny. They are starting to catch up now.

Lammie":3lwj3e2g said:
msscamp":3lwj3e2g said:
What do you treat your cases of scours with?

Bounce Back mainly.

If memory serves, that is an electrolyte. You don't use any type of scour tablets or liquid to eliminate the scours?

Latest posts