what on earth?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Saw these out in the field on my way back to school... are they wearing collars???

collaredcows.jpg

There was about 50 black cows out in the field, and the neck bands/collars they have were red, blue and purple... never seen anything like it before. Anyone know what the bands actually are, and what the purpose of them is? several cows appeared to have ear tags too so I doubt the collars have ID numbers.

I've seen collars like then on dairy cows but never beef. In the dairy they were used to regulate the amount of grain each individual cow was given.

Like dun said..have seen them on dairy cattle but not on beef...maybe has a computer chip or something that carries all the information about the cow. Would have to be a big fine fancy operation to justify that.

bandit80":p776ya8t said:
Maybe they are like a dog collar. :lol2:

Maybe like those collars for fenceless yards that shock them if they cross over the line.

They might be GPS collars. Just got back from the TSCRA convention in Corpus and several schools are using GPS to monitor cows grazing/eating habits. Had some PhD give a pretty interesting talk on a 3 year study they had just finished up. Apparantly, cows won't go up a grade over 13% or when rocks covered more than 30% of the ground.

BTRANCH":3hjd1gsy said:
They might be GPS collars. Just got back from the TSCRA convention in Corpus and several schools are using GPS to monitor cows grazing/eating habits. Had some PhD give a pretty interesting talk on a 3 year study they had just finished up. Apparantly, cows won't go up a grade over 13% or when rocks covered more than 30% of the ground.
bet your right. course duns id is a possiblity

See, this is how we know that Milkmaid isn't a married woman. If it had been a man and wife travelling, she would have said: " stop and ask what they are, stop and ask what they are ".

BTRANCH":6wiu349l said:

hahahahahahahahahahahaha stp...can't breathe...ahahahahahahahahacows won't go up a grade over 13% hahahahahahahaha or when rocks covered more than 30% of the groundhahahahahahahaha :help:

My guess would be recip cows. They got a calf in them that goes to a different cow and the neck bands says what the calf is that they are packing.

Paul T

Interesting ideas. The cows didn't look that high-quality... just a random little bunch of black cows grazing the sagebrush in the middle of nowhere (literally).

MM

Those are marking bands. They work just like eartags. There is nothing special about them. Definetly easy to read from a distance. They can be found in most livestock catalogs.

Latest posts