What kind of rotary mower do you like?

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz":2w3ttocq said:
Can you really avoid clipping and just spraying every year?

Yes. lot of em here have convincing arguments for clipping. I'll assume they are correct. No way that I'm right, and they're all wrong. Best grass on my place is fields that haven't been clipped in quit a while. You may have to spot spray some bushes/trees/briars.

Bigfoot":1m514bxg said:
shaz":1m514bxg said:

Yes. lot of em here have convincing arguments for clipping. I'll assume they are correct. No way that I'm right, and they're all wrong. Best grass on my place is fields that haven't been clipped in quit a while. You may have to spot spray some bushes/trees/briars.

Not very organic though is it? I admit I spray a lot in addition to cutting.

I'd love to have the time and patience to practice intensive rotational grazing to see how that would work.

I'd like to do more spraying and less clipping, but I can't see getting away from it altogether. For starters I'm simply understocked for the cows to keep after the grass in spring. I cut some hay where I can keep them off awhile. I'm in the process of trying to do more fencing to make rotating easier. We have quite a bit of clover that I don't really want to kill off either as the fescue peters out pretty quick as soon as it gets hot or dry. It's a work in progress. I think keeping it clipped really helps keep the weeds down and promotes new grass growth. Problem is I never get enough time to get it done at the proper time or often enough since it takes me so long, that's where the bigger mower question comes from.

TennesseeTuxedo":wacw30xj said:
Bigfoot":wacw30xj said:
shaz":wacw30xj said:

Not very organic though is it? I admit I spray a lot in addition to cutting.

I'd love to have the time and patience to practice intensive rotational grazing to see how that would work.

It works well but you have to do it every day which isn't always realistic. Also, I noticed some cows body condition suffered. I guess you would cull for this.

Here's my rig and it works good for me. I mow and drag the crap around at the same time. To me my pastures look good after I get them mowed and dragged. I also keep a 110 acres of power line right of way through our property mowed. And Georgia Transmission pays me for the mowing service "wildlife enhancement" the mower has paid for it's self already.

Are you pulling a grass harrow behind the bushhog? Does it tend to ball up any of the cut grass or not?

Banjo":2795bske said:
Are you pulling a grass harrow behind the bushhog? Does it tend to ball up any of the cut grass or not?

Yes, and it will ball up taller grass. It's not ideal but it's the best option I've found so far.

I never worked over 200 acres at a time, in pieces, over the years so I never had the need for batwings....no comment there.

On others, I had several brands and never had a bad brand; each did their job and my pockets weren't deep. What I did find was that for the Houston Black Clay soil around here that is prone to establishing "sink holes" in slow rolling hills with numerous terraces to keep erosion under control, scalping has been the biggest problem in determining what mower to use.

That puts me in the narrower than I would like category but so be it. Only time I destroyed one was accidentally on top of one of those terraces with a Mohawk 8' twin blade, dual wheel, got high centered. Ripped the center gear box out running the 100 PTO JD on it before I could get it shut down and the slip clutch didn't protect me. So much for slip clutches on that, prefer shear bolts and yes I know how they are supposed to be adjusted and maintained.

Just wanted to give a follow up and thank everybody for the input. Went for a 15' batwing over a 10' and so far I'm glad I did. Found a used John Deere 1518 locally. Older machine but appears to be lightly used and not abused and well maintained. Found one wing hinge bracket is cracked and needs welded. Other than that the oil looked like new in the gearboxes and I greased it up and mowed about 10 acres tonight. Follows the contours of the ground much better than the 3pt we've been using with less scalping and leaving high spots in the dips. I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something with it also! Gave $4500 and he threw in a solenoid valve and control to split one of my two remotes to be able to operate the wings independently. So far I'm happy with it and feel good about it considering two different dealers both have the same model on the lot for $6000 each and they don't look to be in any better condition. Thanks again, makes decisions easier by learning from others experience.

Latest posts