What kind of loads/shells do you use in your sawed off shotgun?

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
This is a question I ask myself as shooting in a house at close range and maybe to burn their azz with the first round or two or just go heavy for the instant kill. I go with a 5 shot, but I could see a 7 or 8 better or maybe the first load rock salt. You have to take in consideration scatter pattern also.

Pattern is not going to be much of a concern in the house even with a short barrel. Penetration can be. When we had kids in the house I kept birdshot in mine. Just me and the wife now. The shotgun to me would also be my choice if I had to go check the shop in the dark. So might need a little more range. I keep #4 buckshot in the pipe and 00 following. I keep one round of #6 in the shell holder for the occasional coon.

Buck or slugs.

Bird shot not the best choice. Lethal at close range, and there is little worry of over penetration, but get to 20 feet or so and it quickly loses steam and you put yourself at legal risk for intent to wound or whatever they call it. If you shoot, you shoot to kill.

Pattern is not going to be much of a concern in the house even with a short barrel. Penetration can be. When we had kids in the house I kept birdshot in mine. Just me and the wife now. The shotgun to me would also be my choice if I had to go check the shop in the dark. So might need a little more range. I keep #4 buckshot in the pipe and 00 following. I keep one round of #6 in the shell holder for the occasional coon.

I agree. Its so close in the house I dont give any significant thought to pattern, its really not going to matter. I have a police officer friend that has told me about a few gruesome scenes that he has arrived to that involved birdshot. I think some people underestimate the power of a shotgun with birdshot.

My 870 serves as a utility gun. During turkey season it has #5 turkey loads in case a gobbler comes through the yard. When the other birds decide they want to fight themselves in the mirrors of our vehicles and crap all over them, it has birdshot. Any other time it has 00. So for someone breaking in the house it just depends on whats in season as to what you get shot with I guess.

00. I don't keep one in the barrel. If someone doesn't turn and run at the sound of a round being pumped into the barrel I want all the lethal force the gun will muster.

#4 in the chamber, 000 follows.
My home (currently is a bit different inside.
Master bedroom is upstairs.
Once we go to bed, or otherwise go upstairs, we hold the high ground as far as our personal safety goes.
DSC00542.JPG

They got to climb the stairs to actually reach us.
DSC00084.JPG

"Plans' tho, usually go right out the window as soon as the brown smelly stuff hits the fan.

I think the shotgun by the bed currently is loaded with 6 shot. It probably varies since I occasionally grab it for some critter in the yard. I don't really plan on getting in some intense gun fight in my bedroom, though I also happen have an AR beside the bed too if needed I suppose. And both are loaded with ONE IN THE CHAMBER.

Careful of the load you use. I saw a video where they warned that when you fire with too few projectiles, they might go through a wall and hit someone you did not mean to hit, like a family member.

Strictly home defense in the house especially with other occupants I would go with something like #6s. They aren't lethal on the other side of a wall generally and to keep it legal they would be in the same room with you. If it was just me and the wife I love #4 buckshot when I can find it. If I am going to the trouble to shoot them I will be damned if I am gonna make where they can sew them up.

Federal with flight control wads
or my reloads with flight control wads.
Eight double aught out of a 16 gauge at 50 yards.
One flyer.

Attachments

• E9E327F6-50E6-4222-BFAC-808340A6BD0C.jpeg
    E9E327F6-50E6-4222-BFAC-808340A6BD0C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Strictly home defense in the house especially with other occupants I would go with something like #6s. They aren't lethal on the other side of a wall generally and to keep it legal they would be in the same room with you. If it was just me and the wife I love #4 buckshot when I can find it. If I am going to the trouble to shoot them I will be damned if I am gonna make where they can sew them up.
Don't kid yourself I have killed many a deer with #4 buckshot at 50 to 60 yards and got pass through as good as double aught. That's 27 .24 caliber pellets. Most full choked guns don't like double or single aught. No 4's and 1's usually pattern the best .

Yes thats what I mean it will blow through them with lots of holes. It is not a wallboard safe load. #4 buck was my go to when I deer hunted with a shotgun. Like you say they pattern better in a full choke. Had an old Wards with a 30" full choke that we grew up with, that thing would sling those #4s.

#4 in the chamber, 000 follows.
My home (currently is a bit different inside.
Master bedroom is upstairs.
Once we go to bed, or otherwise go upstairs, we hold the high ground as far as our personal safety goes.
View attachment 4094

They got to climb the stairs to actually reach us.
View attachment 4095

"Plans' tho, usually go right out the window as soon as the brown smelly stuff hits the fan.
Your nest is similar to mine...

My house the bed rooms are all up stairs. That is where the shotgun is. Down stairs there are loaded rifles in the closets (22-250, 30-30, 22). Much more likely to need one of them. In fact I have used all of them to deal with varmints at one point or another. There are also several 22 pistols down stairs all loaded with snake shot. I can guarantee they will get used a some point or three during the summer.

With these and a sawed off shotgun it would hard on an intruder. Imagine all jumping up at once the commotion.

pz2aUJ7.jpg

Latest posts