Which big gun would you want?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have my doubts.. it's still a pistol cartridge, effectively, just because it says ".500" doesn't mean it's got any oomph to it.. There's a WHOLE lot of rifle cartridges that have significantly more energy than that thing.. The .500 S&W it was modified from has muzzle energy very similar to a .308, which is pretty anemic in this crowd..

Back to the original question, though, I'm surprised nobody here has brought up the .45-70: a wide range of loads readily available, from just a good thumper kinda gun right up to shoulder dislocation, all of which fall inside the SAAMI limits..
I have a lever action 45.90 that shoots a black powder cartridge. It doesn't kick much, more like it just pushes on me.

Back to the original question, though, I'm surprised nobody here has brought up the .45-70: a wide range of loads readily available, from just a good thumper kinda gun right up to shoulder dislocation, all of which fall inside the SAAMI limits..
I didn't mention it because I already have one. It's a Marlin stainless big loop guide gun with an 18.5" barrel. I carried it most of the summer when I was checking pastures. With 325gr loads it's a pleasure to shoot. 400gr core-loks have a little thump. I've got a couple boxes of Grizzly 460 +P but I haven't had any reason to try them.

I didn't mention it because I already have one. It's a Marlin stainless big loop guide gun with an 18.5" barrel. I carried it most of the summer when I was checking pastures. With 325gr loads it's a pleasure to shoot. 400gr core-loks have a little thump. I've got a couple boxes of Grizzly 460 +P but I haven't had any reason to try them.
Guy I got mine from (or, more accurately, from his wife after he passed) had handloaded a bunch of stuff for it, it's all still within spec but is just basically painful.

Strongly leaning towards a 338 Win Mag.
A good friend of mine told me to google "detached retina from recoil " kinda interesting stuff.
I have 2 , the Browning BAR is a little more pleasant to shoot than the Weatherby bolt action that is Magna-Ported. I have developed a good accurate load for the BAR.

Latest posts