Lever gun magazine plug

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
Illinois has FINALLY decided that next year we can have a rifle deer season. But. . . There's always a but. They have a ridiculous amount of restrictions on what calibers and guns we can use. Has to be a .30 cal or larger. Necked cartridges can only have a case length of 1.4" or less. Or a straight wall cartridge. So right off the bat my 30-30, 308, and 30-06 all are off limits. That leaves my 45-70. Now the real kick in the teeth. Single shot or rifles modified to be single shot only.
Has anyone ever put a tub magazine plug in a lever gun? We have to have plugs in our shot guns (3shot only)

Illinois has FINALLY decided that next year we can have a rifle deer season. But. . . There's always a but. They have a ridiculous amount of restrictions on what calibers and guns we can use. Has to be a .30 cal or larger. Necked cartridges can only have a case length of 1.4" or less. Or a straight wall cartridge. So right off the bat my 30-30, 308, and 30-06 all are off limits. That leaves my 45-70. Now the real kick in the teeth. Single shot or rifles modified to be single shot only.
Has anyone ever put a tub magazine plug in a lever gun? We have to have plugs in our shot guns (3shot only)
Can you remove the endcap for your tube?

Just buy a Henry single shot or CVA scout.
Can you shoot 350 Legend?

Deer rifle opener this year, had a big male yote come prancing out, I thought about holding out but they've been giving us hell and a half and they nearabouts got my dog a month ago. I drew up on him and he got in a brush patch, I waited him out and watched him catch a field mouse in the edge of the thick stuff, I didn't want to try lacing a bullet in. He trotted out again quartering away and I whistled for him and he stood stock still at 220 yards and paid for it when he got acute high velocity lung disease. He bit at it, flopped, rolled, bled like a pig, found his feet and sauntered drunk-like down the hill. Piled up in a 50 foot gully. Went, saw his demise, wished him well in the next one and got back in my cow panel blind. A buck paid the same toll at 260 on the jog last year.

Edit: This is with my Henry.

This CVA is deadly accurate as well.
View attachment 23081
Beware a man with a rifle that fires one at a time, he shoots like that too.

When I was a kid, my grandfather taught me that way. The only time you ever ran cartridges quick, fast and in a hurry was when you were hunting over dogs, but you still didn't shoot just to say you did. I toted a single barrel Stevens a lot, still have it, still potent turkey medicine. I joined the army and got into tactical shooting and can shoot quick, fast and in a hurry very well, but there's nothing like lining it up, breathing, squeezing, and seeing a flop, drop, or white belly and you just sort of look around to see if maybe by any chance somebody else saw what you did.

I would think that modified to be a single shot only would have the same legal weight as a plug turning a 6 round shotgun into a 3 round shotgun

I suppose so. I've owned lots of firearms but have never owned a 'single one that was a singleshot'.

Remind me to never go hunting in Illinois...

I can live with the single shot requirement... but the restrictions on caliber are nutz.
Hey, never go hunting in Illinois.

I suppose so. I've owned lots of firearms but have never owned a 'single one that was a singleshot'.
I've owned dedicated single shots and cowboy guns and shoot fast, haul @ss guns. I have a lot of guns. They all have a place.

Is that total case length or length to the neck? Those are stupid restrictions, especially combined! I could see a minimum caliber, but coupling it with the short case doesn't make sense.. so the 243, 270, 6.5mm, and 7mm are all out just for being under caliber and all will take a deer down perfectly well
Might as well just tell people they have to go out and hunt with a bloody pistol because that's what's going to comply with the caliber/case restrictions

Is that total case length or length to the neck? Those are stupid restrictions, especially combined! I could see a minimum caliber, but coupling it with the short case doesn't make sense.. so the 243, 270, 6.5mm, and 7mm are all out just for being under caliber and all will take a deer down perfectly well
Might as well just tell people they have to go out and hunt with a bloody pistol because that's what's going to comply with the caliber/case restrictions
Many of the row crop flat states used to be all shotguns and bows for deer, along with smokepoles. It's funny, because in some of those states you couldn't shoot a deer with a 30-30 but you could hunt yotes with a .22-250 or .22 Creedmoor. The new allowances in some of them helped give rise to .350 Legend. Sometimes you have to move forward one step at a time. Only reason I get a giggle out of it is because I've hunted prairie and reclaimed meadow habitats that were flatter than they can imagine.

The 350 legend is a straight wall with 30-30 ballistics.
It's.355 caliber and satisfying those goofball restrictions.
You can get it an assortment of platforms from AR to single shot.
It's rough on hogs and deer.

Latest posts