Lever gun magazine plug

Help Support CattleToday:

My solution to the problem would be to move to a different state. But if rifles were not previously allowed I would have already left.

Illinois has FINALLY decided that next year we can have a rifle deer season. But. . . There's always a but. They have a ridiculous amount of restrictions on what calibers and guns we can use. Has to be a .30 cal or larger. Necked cartridges can only have a case length of 1.4" or less. Or a straight wall cartridge. So right off the bat my 30-30, 308, and 30-06 all are off limits. That leaves my 45-70. Now the real kick in the teeth. Single shot or rifles modified to be single shot only.
Has anyone ever put a tub magazine plug in a lever gun? We have to have plugs in our shot guns (3shot only)

Deer rifle opener this year, had a big male yote come prancing out, I thought about holding out but they've been giving us hell and a half and they nearabouts got my dog a month ago. I drew up on him and he got in a brush patch, I waited him out and watched him catch a field mouse in the edge of the thick stuff, I didn't want to try lacing a bullet in. He trotted out again quartering away and I whistled for him and he stood stock still at 220 yards and paid for it when he got acute high velocity lung disease. He bit at it, flopped, rolled, bled like a pig, found his feet and sauntered drunk-like down the hill. Piled up in a 50 foot gully. Went, saw his demise, wished him well in the next one and got back in my cow panel blind. A buck paid the same toll at 260 on the jog last year.

Edit: This is with my Henry.
I've had a huge "oh sh*t" moment last weekend. Went for a walk at nearby field and got bitten by a snake... Thankfully I've had my cowboy boots( https://gritroutdoors.com/apparel/western-wear/cowboy-boots/ got myself a fresh pair of Twisted-x just recently, was a bummer that it got pierced tbh) with thick wool socks underneath. Thank god it didn't reach the skin...
Those are some ridiculous restrictions. Guess it's good that you have that Henry Single shot, never seen anyone plug levers like that.
Honestly, to hell with yotes. Lost 2 cats over 3 years to those bastards. Shoot 'em on the spot!

Last edited:
Is Illinois in Australia???
Don't worry Fence, I've seen how you fella's shoot. My neighbour is a taxidermist and had some roo skins to tan for a hunting property just west of here. The property owner had a party of Americans who wanted to shoot some roos. The skins I saw were peppered with big holes especially up the rear. They were none too fussy where the bullets hit. I imagine they were with a bolt action rifle, certainly of a very big calibre.

Ken

Sounds like a good excuse to add to the collection. Most of those single shots are reasonably priced. I like the 45-70 caliber selection though. As for plugging what you have it shouldn't be that hard to pop the end cap off and insert a plug. I am guessing this is a 1895 Marlin?

Do the state restrictions actually state that a temporary tube plug will qualify it as a single shot?
Can I use a lever-action/bolt-action/pump-action/semi-automatic rifle for hunting deer in Illinois?
Effective Jan. 1, 2023, any rifle chambered in a legal caliber and either manufactured or modified to be a single shot (capable of holding only one round in the magazine and chamber combined) may be used to hunt deer.

A gun shall be considered a single shot if there is no magazine in the possession of or in close proximity to a hunter in the field, and the gun can only hold a total of one round.

Modification of a rifle originally manufactured as a repeater (a lever action/bolt action/pump action/semi-automatic, etc.) to a single shot can take many forms, including but not limited to:

• not having the detachable magazine in possession or close proximity,
  • removing internal magazine springs and followers,
  • using a plug to block the magazine tube,
  • purchasing "0 round" magazines,
  • or modifying the receiver or internal magazine of the rifle.
Hunters may not be in possession of or in close proximity to a magazine that is capable of making a rifle not a single-shot firearm.

I would use this as an excuse to buy a single shot rifle in the caliber you want. There is something about hunting with a single shot. If you understand, an explanation is not needed. If you don't understand, no explanation is possible.

I guess the part that makes my head shake is that bolt action slug guns don't have to be single shot. A good friend of mine dropped an 8pter dead in his tracks at 175yds last year.
Most shots around here are 100yds of less.
Might be time to start gun shopping for next year.

I guess the part that makes my head shake is that bolt action slug guns don't have to be single shot. A good friend of mine dropped an 8pter dead in his tracks at 175yds last year.
Most shots around here are 100yds of less.
Might be time to start gun shopping for next year.
Several 300 yard muzzle loaders out there today as well.
Most inline today achieve 200 yard accuracy.
That makes the regulation make even less sense.

Time to get introduced to the wonderful world of T/C Contenders!

My favorite is probably my 357 Maximum
There's a WORLD of calibers available from custom to factory available.
Out to 200yds the 357 max will darn sure git 'er dun!

Then there's the ever effective and efficient 30 Herrett! Another favorite!

Time to get introduced to the wonderful world of T/C Contenders!

My favorite is probably my 357 Maximum
There's a WORLD of calibers available from custom to factory available.
Out to 200yds the 357 max will darn sure git 'er dun!

Then there's the ever effective and efficient 30 Herrett! Another favorite!
If you don't reload he's better off with the 350 Legend.
You can get ammo cheap almost anywhere.
357 Max is like having a 6MM or 280 Remington almost non existent.
Fantastic cartridges if you can find ammo.
It's getting to be if isn't in an AR platform it's hard to find.
You walk in the gun shop here no 30-30, 243, 7-08, 25-06, 270. You can still find it on ammo seek.
Plenty of 308, 223, 350 and 300 blackout.
I haven't reloaded 30-30 in decades and did 250 rounds this year.

I don't think it's the 200yd shot they are trying to prevent, it's the 2 mile ricochet. Ricochet is relative to bullet velocity. They want calibers that expend their velocity quickly.
Now we're getting into bullet coefficient versus velocities.
The 30-30 is .308 just like half dozen other cartridges.
That round nose bullet travels like a box of saltine cracker's compared to a spire pointed boat tail.
You can load that 30-30 bullet in an 06 brass trajectory won't be same.

Latest posts