Big Cat

Help Support CattleToday:

I haven't actually heard a woman being killed.

Ken
When I was a teenager me and friends camped and hunted in a hardwood bottom and at nights we would hear a cougar screaming and it scared the bejesus out of us. We told my pals grandpa and the next night he came to our campsite and stayed and talked and then we heard it. Mr. Jones got up, walked over to his tractor (he rode it to the campsite) and said "Boys y'all don't let that screech owl eat yaw up tonight".

I had ridden into the hills to an isolated canyon where I was going to meet my younger sister for a picnic. She had left earlier on foot. Tamar, the greatest of all my horses, was sliding down the steep hillside on her rump to where there was a creek in the woods. Suddenly she whirled around and went back. What's the matter with you I said and asked her to go on. Once again she turned back. Darn it, you go on down there, and she did go down there.

All of a sudden I heard sounds like this.

Then it changed to sounds more like this

I dismounted, tied her to a tree and she sat back pulling to get away. Adrenaline made my heart pound. The fight or flight hormone for me it was fight. because I my only thought whatever it was it must have my sister. This screaming and growling continued. I picked up a heavy limb like a club. Then I saw something moving in the rocks on the other side of the creek. It was a lion. Then it vanished in the shadows. The mare and I took off out of there.

My sister I found sitting by an old abandoned barn she was white as a sheet.

Those high pitched squalls almost to end of the second video sounded a lot like what I heard those mornings.
My Blue Heeler about came up in my lap to get to the phone while that part was going on too.

When I was a teenager me and friends camped and hunted in a hardwood bottom and at nights we would hear a cougar screaming and it scared the bejesus out of us. We told my pals grandpa and the next night he came to our campsite and stayed and talked and then we heard it. Mr. Jones got up, walked over to his tractor (he rode it to the campsite) and said "Boys y'all don't let that screech owl eat yaw up tonight".
That's funny.

My folks lived in the edge of a small woods when first married. Mom grew up at the edge of town, and Dad's never been off the farm except for a two year hitch with the Corps. Anyway, no air conditioning, windows open in the summertime, Mom woke Dad up in the night, scared, said there's a woman screaming out in the woods. Dad groggily replies "he'll, it's just a dam screech owl" and rolls back over.

When we first got our donkey 17 years ago we weren't prepared for how loud she was. The first morning no one was at the school bus stop, quarter mile up the road was the chubby neighbor kid standing under the only street light around. My son says to her "what in the heck are you doing way up here?" She says "didn't you hear that German Shepard getting murdered in the woods this morning?"🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

A mountain lion attacked a child in Washington state last year. It is amasing that the girl lived. She was mauled pretty bad.

A mountain lion attacked a child in Washington state last year. It is amasing that the girl lived. She was mauled pretty bad.
That was in Stevens county in northeast Washington. They are absolutely over run with cougars. A few years ago one chased a deer through the WalMart parking lot in Colville in the middle of the day. Scattering old ladies and grandkids while doing it. I know of another case in that area where a man was sitting in his living room with his dog on the floor. A cat literally jumped through a big picture window to attack the dog. The out lawing hound hunting passed by the Seattle liberals is one of the stupidest things they have done. Wait there is a long list of stupid thing that they have done. But as a result the cat population has exploded.

When I was in jr high we lived on my great uncle's cattle farm . We were a half mile from the bluff on the Tennessee river . I forgot to get my dad's paper when I got off the bus one day . When he got home from work and ate supper he would read the paper. I got sent back to the mail box which was a good 100 yds from the house .it had just got dark and about the time I got to the edge of the road a bobcat screamed in the pasture next to the house . I set the new world record for the 100 yard dash back to the house ! Of course without the paper ! My mom stood on the porch and I carried a shotgun and a flashlight on my return trip . I never forgot to get the paper again !

More and more attacks on children. I saw news out of Portland suburbs with a lion photo perched on a fence watching school children play at recess. Mountain lions see children as prey because they are small and non threatening. I did a short google search

Three mountain lions spotted near school bus stop

Mountain lion wanders into classroom

Video cougar stalking children

According to California Fish and Game

Verified Mountain Lion-Human Attacks- 11 were children

This was just in Califonia
DateTypeAttack LocationCountyVictim SexVictim Age
March 1986NonfatalCaspers Wilderness ParkOrangeFemale5 yrs.
Oct. 1986NonfatalCaspers Wilderness ParkOrangeMale6 yrs.
March 1992NonfatalGaviota State ParkSanta BarbaraMale9 yrs.
Sept. 1993NonfatalCuyamaca State ParkSan DiegoFemale10 yrs.
Apr. 1994FatalAuburn State Recreation AreaEl DoradoFemale40 yrs.
Aug. 1994NonfatalMendocino County (remote)MendocinoMale48 yrs.
NonfatalFemale48 yrs.
Dec. 1994FatalCuyamaca State ParkSan DiegoFemale56 yrs.
Mar. 1995NonfatalMt. Lowe (San Gabriel Mtns.)Los AngelesMale27 yrs.
Jan. 2004FatalWhiting Ranch Regional ParkOrangeMale35 yrs.
Jan. 2004NonfatalWhiting Ranch Regional ParkOrangeFemale30 yrs.
June 2004NonfatalSequoia National ForestTulareFemale28 yrs.
Jan. 2007NonfatalPrairie Creek Redwoods State ParkHumboldtMale70 yrs.
Jul. 2012NonfatalConfluence of Shady Creek and Yuba RiverNevadaMale63 yrs.
Sept. 2014NonfatalCupertinoSanta ClaraMale6 yrs.
May 2019NonfatalLos Peñasquitos Canyon PreserveSan DiegoMale4 yrs.
January 2020NonfatalWhiting Ranch Wilderness ParkOrangeMale3 yrs.
February 2020NonfatalRancho San Antonio County ParkSanta ClaraFemale6 yrs.
June 2020NonfatalBlue Sky Ecological ReserveSan DiegoMale4 yrs.
August 2021NonfatalCalabasas (Santa Monica Mtns.)Los AngelesMale5 yrs.
May 2022NonfatalBig Bar (Trinity River)TrinityFemale24 yrs.
Sept. 2022NonfatalPico Canyon ParkLos AngelesMale7 yrs.

The news article goes on to say "Mountain lion attacks on humans are rare in California; there have only been Four non fatal attacks on children over the past 16 months"

Seems like if lions are scared off by gunshot (hopefully before becoming dead) they would be scared off by using Boat Horn in a Can, something that a kid could carry.

I got a better idea. All three west coast states could allow mountain lion hunting with hounds. Take the population back to 1960's-70's level when attacks were unheard of. CA it is flat illegal to kill a cat. Washington has open seasons but only at certain times of the year. Oregon cougar season is open year around and a tag is only $16 but it is illegal to use dogs which is the only real effective method of hunting them.

Yes that would solve the problem but FAT CHANCE the lib lion kissing voters are going to let that happen.

Meanwhile, how about illegally hunting with a silent breed of dogs? The baying of hounds in the woods and hills is what gives their location and purpose away.

Here in west TN we are told by the TN wildlife there are no bears, wild pigs or large cats in the area. Yet, If you go to the TWRA web page, the map shows large cat sightings in the state.

Yes that would solve the problem but FAT CHANCE the lib lion kissing voters are going to let that happen.

Meanwhile, how about illegally hunting with a silent breed of dogs? The baying of hounds in the woods and hills is what gives their location and purpose away.
It is legal to hunt bobcats Dec-Feb. It is strange but a lot of those dogs don't know the difference between a bobcat and a cougar. Of course if your dogs tree a cougar by mistake you just have to catch up the dogs and leave the cougar in the tree......

Latest posts