what kind of cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

It would be a lot cheaper to just buy a good lawn mower. Your property will look better to. If you just have to blow a few grand fencing a paddock and buying an animal you are going to have to feed just about every day plus vet expenses, go whole hog and buy a horse.

we believe that a goat is suitable for our requirements. a sheep perhaps also. i am asking which requires less maintenance. goat or sheep? we require an efficient pet.

wertthelert":70yyy7ta said:
we believe that a goat is suitable for our requirements. a sheep perhaps also. i am asking which requires less maintenance. goat or sheep? we require an efficient pet.

An efficient pet?

OK it's time for you to be honest with us. Where the heck do you come from? And don't say Pennsylvania. That might be where you live but you're no native. :shock:

Either that or you are having one great time puttin us on. :nod:

we do not originate from Pennsylvania United States. our mastery of English language is incomplete. despite our lack of mastery. we have sufficient comprehension for communication of English language.

It doesn't matter what pet you get. If you do not have thousands for vet bills, then I suggest against it.

It doesn't matter how 'efficient' they are, they can always get hurt or ill.

wertthelert":3pwnty7g said:

The only "efficient pet" you can get is a lawn mower. Particularly one of those ride-around types. Unless you can get a mechanized sheep somewhere, but I doubt if even they exist.

Sheep live to die and goats love to get out of wherever their being kept. And there's always a high chance that they'll get sick or injured from something, like SusieQ said. Neither goat nor sheep require less maintenance than the other, if you know what I mean. Both species have their quirks, and both need as much care as the other.

So really, and seriously, think about it. A nice Kubota or John Deere ride-around mower might be a better investment in the long run than having to care for a few ovines and caprines. :)

wertthelert":36m3zpp1 said:
Get a lawn mower and a dog. You can name the lawnmower too if you want.

Suzie Q":2rw43a4a said:
It doesn't matter what pet you get. If you do not have thousands for vet bills, then I suggest against it.

It doesn't matter how 'efficient' they are, they can always get hurt or ill.
Get a pound pup. If he dies get another one. My dog sees a vet once a year for rabies and other annual shots.

wertthelert":22syfdms said:

do not get both a sheep and a goat as they do not get along well together and have different maintenance requirements.

Both need a very good fence, and shelter, and if you intend to let them have babies, they need a safe place (stable or shed) to be locked into at night to keep them safe from predators.

If you get a wooly breed of sheep, you need to have a shearer come out to your property twice a year; once to crutch them and six months later to shear them.

If you get a hair breed (eg katahdin) you wont need the shearer as they dont grow wool.

The type of goat you get will determine its maintenance requirements. If you get an angora or a cashmere goat, you will need the shearer four times per year (shearing every six months and crutching every three months). If you get a dairy goat you will need to milk her twice a day.

A pair of meat goat (Boer x spanish, boer x kiko, boer x myotonic etc) wethers (desexed boys) or katahdin wethers would probably be the easiest for you.

Maintenance as follows:
Daily - check animals for signs of ill health/injury, check water source (clean if necessary), check feed availability (is there enough grass for them, if not give them some meadow hay or oaten hay)
Every two to three months - drench with a worm treatment (available from farm stores, vets, farmers etc. this is a medicine you have to put into their mouth and make them swallow. You need to catch the sheep to do this.
Every four months - trim their hooves oterwise they will grow too long for the animal to walk comfotably. You need to catch them to do this.
Every six months- vaccinate them. This prevents them from getting certain nasty diseases. Again, catch them and give them the vaccie via a needle. Get it from the vet, farm store or neighbour.
Once a year - get the vet to come out and give them a general health check up

we do own a machine for grass shortening. we do not desire to expend our labors shortening the grass. i am asking which is lesser cost. buying two goats to shorten grass or buying human labor to shorten grass?

If you don't want to spend your time riding a cushy lawn mower, do you really want to spend your time walking and repairing fences, feeding hay and grain, running up animals that jumped the fence and are bothering your neighbors, vaccinating animals, taking animals to market (hint ...most of them don't go willingly)?

Hiring a guy to cut your grass makes a whole lot more economic sense.

wertthelert":3sn4vus5 said:
we do own a machine for grass shortening. we do not desire to expend our labors shortening the grass. i am asking which is lesser cost. buying two goats to shorten grass or buying human labor to shorten grass?
One word..."ROUNDUP".

wertthelert":30mrpzmf said:

The term is cutting grass. I don't know which translation program you folks are using but take my word for it . It's not a real good one.

wertthelert":lbavpuaf said:

I would have a person mow the grass if you are concerned about keeping the place looking nice. A person will do a better job. If you get a sheep or goat, you may still have to pay someone to mow.

A sheep or goat will not keep it a uniform length. They graze randomly. A sheep will keep the grass down better than a goat. A goat is a browser, meaning it prefers to eat brushy stuff (but will graze if there is only grass).

I have a sheep and honestly they do not make good pets. They do not like to be petted like a dog.

3waycross":1xyl5zn6 said:
wertthelert":1xyl5zn6 said:

The term is cutting grass. I don't know which translation program you folks are using but take my word for it . It's not a real good one.

Or as our "Cajun" friends would say....modelawn :lol2:

we believed that a pet to shorten the grass requires lesser labor than machine operation. because pet is autonomous and machine requires human operation. you have informed us that pet requires greater maintenance. we believe that a pet requires greater labor than machine. we believe the most efficient method for grass shortening is purchasing human labor to operate our machine. we are grateful for your assistance.

Yes, sheep and lambs make wonderful pets. Contrary to popular belief, they are very intelligent. I've reared far too many lambs and once I had forty lambs being fed on a Lamb-Bar type arrangement. I was amazed how quickly they learnt their feeding order and position. My father-in-law, a sheepman all his life, couldnt believe how they answered to their names! If taught early, lambs love to ride in vehicles and even in front of you on the bike (astride the seat.) One of our sons broke a team of big weaner lambs into harness! (He is very embarrassed about this now he is an adult....) If reared singly with other types of animal, they think that's what they are. We've had lambs who thought they were dogs or ponies or calves! Of all the pets we get to have, lambs are the biggest hoot.

Latest posts