what kind of cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

wertthelert

Reaction score
we own land 100 meters of length containing five trees and grass. we require a cow to inhabit the land. we were told that a horse was unsuitable for our needs. how much maintenance does a cow require? do cows come in different sizes? we can not decide if we require a small cow or a large cow

Yes they come in different sizes. A dexter is pretty small or a banded galloway or yak. Google would probably help you more.
Cows are herd animals. I think you might be better off with steers that you can fatten and eat. JMHO.

I say get a cattle crush (squeeze chute) at least. They do need to be vaccinated and wormed. Also sprayed or put ear tags on to keep flies off to stop blight (pink eye). Over here by law they have to be branded. You may also need to dehorn and look after wounds.

and unless you have fences, etc 100% good, the cattle will go through them or over them as if they are not there.

That is why I suggested steers. If you have a cow or a bull, you need to stop the bull going to other people's cows and bulls coming to your cows.

wertthelert":3vy698lr said:
we own land 100 meters of length containing five trees and grass. we require a cow to inhabit the land. we were told that a horse was unsuitable for our needs. how much maintenance does a cow require? do cows come in different sizes? we can not decide if we require a small cow or a large cow

you might also consider goats. how many acres are you talking ?

we are regretful to unable to procure a small cow. a small cow was not available for purchase. only large cows. we are considering our finances and desire purchase two large cows. because one cow requires companionship. we plan to provide our cows with the proper initialization. we will take the cows to a veterinary facility and have it initialized before it inhabits our land.

our land is 100 meters of length. 40 meters of width. we have five trees. to secure our land and prevent cow escape. what barrier is required?

If I did my calculations right, that's less than 1 acre (43,056 sq ft, ~ 43,500 sq ft/acre). This will not cut it for two standard size bovines unless you use it as a dry paddock and feed them year round. May we ask why cows and not other livestock?

I agree one acre is not enough to sustain one cow year round without feeding.

Unable to purchase? We have a newspaper here that all breeds are advertised in or you can go to sales.

JMHO but electric fences are magic and will keep bulls apart.

Most places also have a cattle yard. Which has a race and a ramp to put on a truck. You keep them in there for at least a week, until they think of here as home.

Cattle yards are usually made of wood or metal, and up to 6 feet high. Cattle can jump.

Also I have no idea about over there, but over here your land needs to have an NLIS number (National Livestock Indication Scheme), before you are allowed to put cattle on it.

Why do you require a cow to inhabit an acre of land? With one acre the land will be eaten bare and you will end up with rutted, eroded land. It will be like a feed lot.

we are located in pennsylvania united states. you have informed us that our land is insufficient quantity for cow inhabitation. insufficient for large cow or small cow? is small cow suitable?

Your way of expressing yourself is different from down in Texas , Tell us why you want a cow , do you live on the acre and want it for a pet or raise it to eat. It is expensive to keep a cow , it will need shelter in winter, water and fed the majority of the year. For feed,mineral and protein you will spent 2 to 3 dollars a day , in other words unless you just want her for a pet she will be more expense and trouble than she is worth.

wertthelert":244hrqbu said:
we are located in pennsylvania united states. you have informed us that our land is insufficient quantity for cow inhabitation. insufficient for large cow or small cow? is small cow suitable?
Both. Small cow may be more suitable, like Dexters, miniature cattle, Highlanders, etc. But with less than 1 acre to hold them in, be prepared to feed LOTS of hay!

If I were you, I'd skip the whole cow scheme and get some goats or chickens, or even a few sheep. They're much more managable to raise on a small acreage, simply because they're about as twice as small as a mini bovine. JMHO.

get two goats, or better yet get two hair breed (eg katahdin) sheep.

put a fence up first (google to find out what you need to keep in sheep). while you are at it, divide your strip of land into two, or even four, sections. So that you can do what we call "rotational grazing" which means that while the sheep eat one section the grass grows in the other sections so the sheep always has food and will never go hungry.

book your veterinarian to come and check them and give them necessary vaccinations and worm treatments when you get them, and regularly every six months after.

find a neighbour who has livestock to keep an eye on them once a month or so and let you know if they are going well or if there are problems. pay him in beer.

buy yourself a book - Storey's Guide to Raising Goats or Sheep would be a suggestion and learn about keeping farm animals.

good luck.

wertthelert
I am unclear on the 100 meters of length property description. Does the 100 meters comprise the length and width? Do you have a square or a rectangle or some other configuration? Please post the dimensions of each side of the property. Metric is fine but sides need to be known.

we previously informed you of specifications. our land is 100 meters of length. 40 meters of width. we have five trees.

we were unaware that one cow is excessively sufficient to shorten our grass. we believe that smaller pet will be sufficient to shorten grass without additional nourishment. additional nourishment for the duration of grass growing is unsuitable for our requirements. our benefit to not require machine for grass shortening. what species is most suitable?

As someone said above sheep. You then put them in the freezer when there is no grass so you don't hand feed and you get some more when the grass grows again.

Plus for your backyard you can have a chook tractor. You move it every other day or so and they will plough the ground for you and give you eggs.

If you don't want the ground actually ploughed but just mowed how about a guinea pig mower. The same as the chook tractor but they just eat the grass.

To translate, a chook is a chicken.

The tractor is a small pen you keep the chickens in which you can move every day or so.

Latest posts