What is your favourite breed & why?

Help Support CattleToday:

emily_22

Reaction score
I'm going to AI a couple of angus females with wagyu semen, for my family's meat, but I want to breed an animal that wold sell quick and for alot, any ideas? mabey your favourite breed fit the criteria.

1. I live in a cold climate (freezing in winter-frosts, and ok in summer-faily hot but not that bad) 3000ft up on a pleatu (no snow), rains ALOT!! even in drought. & has pretty good quality grass. (will suplement food)

2. Small property (17 aceres small) already have 4 cows, so a max of 3 more, but have time to put lot of work in.

3. Small county town with markets every Wednesday, and most people breed angus.

So do you know any cattle who would do well in my area??

Any surgestions??

emily_22":21lj26nk said:
I'm going to AI a couple of angus females with wagyu semen, for my family's meat, but I want to breed an animal that wold sell quick and for alot, any ideas? mabey your favourite breed fit the criteria.

1. I live in a cold climate (freezing in winter-frosts, and ok in summer-faily hot but not that bad) 3000ft up on a pleatu (no snow), rains ALOT!! even in drought. & has pretty good quality grass. (will suplement food)

2. Small property (17 aceres small) already have 4 cows, so a max of 3 more, but have time to put lot of work in.

3. Small county town with markets every Wednesday, and most people breed angus.

So do you know any cattle who would do well in my area??

Any surgestions??

What I have are, Angus Black and red, Plus the same in Angus plus. But for you I would add more Black Agnus or maybe one angus and two full Waygu cows to your herd.

Brangus

will add more size and keep a lot of the angus features.

Emily, I've seen you post some about the wagyu. Is it a popular breed down under, or your area?

Hmm, good question. You cannot go wrong (it seems) with any type of Angus (be it black, red, or brangus). Balancers (an Angus x Gelbvieh) might be nice to add some size to your cross, but I don't know how that'd affect the quality you're shooting for in a carcass. As far as continentals go, Gelbvieh or Charolais could work, as would Simmental.

Honestly and personally, I'd say try crossing it with a Hereford (either Polled or horned, though I favor the former). From what I understand of the Wagyu's genetic heritage, you might find a real winning animal adding Hereford to the mix. But then again, that's just my 2 cents. Whatever you end up doing, keep us posted on the progress. Heard some good things about those Wagyu.

I like Angus and Polled Herefords. I really like the Angus/Hereford cross (Black Baldy). Since most people in your area are breeding "black", I'd definitly stay with black. Since you stated that you live in a cold climate, I'd see no need to introduce any "ear" (Brahman influence).

General rules of thumb. If quality is your prime focus - English Breeds. If quantity is your focus -Continental breeds. If heat tolerance & disease prevention is your focus - Brahman influenced cattle.

If you weren't set on staying with a straight Angus breeding, I'd suggest that you consider breeding your Angus cows to a good Hereford bull. You'll still keep the black hide on your calves, but should benefit from some heterosis. Also, if you should choose to keep/sell a replacement heifer, those black baldies make great momma cows. Breeding your Angus to a continental breed will give even greater heterosis, and produce a significant increase in mass.

The meat quality of Angus & Herefords is usually tops. I can breed anything I want, and I only put Angus, Hereford, or black baldies in my freezer.

We have had Hereford, Charolais, Red Angus, Simmental Crosses and Highland. The Herefords have been nice but not too popular in our area unless they are crossed with Angus or Red Angus, the Charolais calves although great looking get cold too easy, are too lazy and we've had too many freeze to death. The majority of the Simmental Crosses haven't lasted long due to bags and feet giving up. We like to keep our cows into their teens - when they are only worth 20 -25 cents a pound you don't want to replace them every 6-8 years. The best we have had for us is Red Angus. They are long lasting, good temperments, popular with the buyers, do well in cold weather, don't need much feed and the Red Angus and Black Angus societies do an awesome job at marketing.
I know nothing about the Waygu cows you are talking about. Unless you want to do the purebred market which might be good since you have the time to put in I would suggest a Hereford bull. The red and black baldies are popular here. Of course I don't know your area - if most people are breeding Angus around you there is probably a reason for it. ;-)

well there is a mixture of cattle breeds here but black angus are by far the most being bred here.

emily_22":3m92qct3 said:
well there is a mixture of cattle breeds here but black angus are by far the most being bred here.
If Black Angus are the most prominent being bred in that area that is the way to go. There has to be a reason for it. Second choice should be Red Angus or Black Angus bred to Herefords for the Black Baldies.

Well I would like to have a little less than a quarter bramer in there. If they are visibly a part bramer they won't gain as well in the cold and will get dock at the sale barn. I would go with angus or angus hereford cross. Thanks Kaneranch

emily_22, I'm curious as to why you are not looking at Murray Greys. They originated in Austrailia and, according to Austrailian Cattleman's posts, do well there. They are also known for docility, excellent maternal traits, small birth weights, fast growth once they hit the ground, good weaning weights, good milking, good marbling, tender beef, and a few other qualities as well that I can't think of. You might want to look into them. Just my thoughts.

msscamp":3a0ku4zv said:
emily_22, I'm curious as to why you are not looking at Murray Greys. They originated in Austrailia and, according to Austrailian Cattleman's posts, do well there. They are also known for docility, excellent maternal traits, small birth weights, fast growth once they hit the ground, good weaning weights, good milking, good marbling, tender beef, and a few other qualities as well that I can't think of. You might want to look into them. Just my thoughts.

Thank you msscamp, could not have said it better myself, and I totally agree. ;-) :cboy:

Well I never really thought about murry greys! there are a fair few places around here that breed murry greys even the local high schoo! thankyou so much!

I was researching miniture breeds and they have a mini murry grey. so i think I will give dexters a go and mini murry greys.

emily_22":fu8rblah said:
Well I never really thought about murry greys! there are a fair few places around here that breed murry greys even the local high schoo! thankyou so much!

I was researching miniture breeds and they have a mini murry grey. so i think I will give dexters a go and mini murry greys.

You're very welcome! :)

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":qef87yoi said:
msscamp":qef87yoi said:

Thank you msscamp, could not have said it better myself, and I totally agree. ;-) :cboy:

Geee! SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GREY out of all the times you have said Murray Grey and along comes msscamp who says it once and gets a convert!! ;-) :lol:

By seeing that your climate is wet and cold I definetly wouldn't use any "eared" cattle. Black Angus would do fine.

Murray Greys are known for calving ease, excellent disposition and a moderate frame. They consistantly produce an excellect carcass and can be finished on grass for those who prefer to finish them that way.
They're also extremely hardy-mine tolerate summer temps in the 90's with high humidity and winter temps down to -10 or
-20 fahrenheit.

mgman":2asvk5bw said:
Murray Greys are known for calving ease, excellent disposition and a moderate frame. They consistantly produce an excellect carcass and can be finished on grass for those who prefer to finish them that way.
They're also extremely hardy-mine tolerate summer temps in the 90's with high humidity and winter temps down to -10 or
-20 fahrenheit.

Could not have said it better myself, The Greys are found everywhere from South America all the way up into Canada.That is a testament to their hardiness and versatility! ;-) :cboy:

Murray Greys do well in our country but they drop off in condition like a number of British and Euro breeds when things get tough (this includes my South Devons) and in poor country. Here in Australia they have a derived breed called Greyman which are very good cattle crossed with Brahman and do well in poorer country.
Colin

Latest posts