What is this weed

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I sprayed 24d in the Spring on a few hay fields and pastures and it seemed to do a pretty good job. Now, suddenly in July, these weeds started popping up. Can someone identify it and tell me the best chemical to use on it? There are some areas that have a lot of it. My thinking is probably Remedy.

Amaranth genus, dozens of species. Commonly called pigweed or careless weed if it's the thorny variety. There's one called palmer amaranth that's roundup resistant and is the reason 2-4D and dicamba proof cotton and soybeans were developed. Remedy will knock it out, as will 2-4D and dicamba. Remedy would be my choice.

Yep. We see pigweed this time of year primarily in our high traffic areas like the fields we feed hay on in the winter and near waterers. 24d works pretty good for us.

We always called them pig stickers because them and jimpson weeds are the only things that will grow in a hog lot. That and they will stick you when you grab them.

I manage my pasture mostly by mowing. Spiny pigweed is one weed that mowing will not control. Cut it off and it will grow back with a vengeance. I spot spray for pigweed, cocklebur, multifloria rose, thistle, etc. 2,4 D and glyphosate weed and grass killer will handle it.

What concentration of 24D are you all spraying because my pig weed drinks the 24D, laughs at me and asks for a second round! Chaparral kills it dead and fast, plus renders the seed sterile too.

Pigweed.................don't let them go to seed is very important as they are very prolific producers. I walk pastures pulling or digging them up before any big size. Also spot spray with Milestone works.

bball said:
What concentration of 24D are you all spraying because my pig weed drinks the 24D, laughs at me and asks for a second round! Chaparral kills it dead and fast, plus renders the seed sterile too.

I mix my 2,4D at the maximum for spot spray treatment. I use a 25 gallon Sprayer. It works out to 2 pints per 25 gallons using a 60 % 2,4D concentrate. Make sure you use a surfactant.

After I spray them and they start to wilt, my cattle will devour them. It is like I put salad dressing on them. I guess it softens
the stickers.

Latest posts