What is this weed, and what kills it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":1fo8c5uh said:
If you really dial in on the picture, you'll see the leaves, and stem have a certain fuzzy nature to them. Are the weeds you guys are familiar with like that?
Hasn;t popped up yet. It's usually late but with no rain for so long it might be even later

Oh crap. Roundup is the only thing listed that will kill it. This may be the mother of all battles to get rid of it.

Bigfoot":w3uyb80p said:
Oh crap. Roundup is the only thing listed that will kill it. This may be the mother of all battles to get rid of it.
If it's kind of sparse you may be able to get by with just spraying individual plants. We never have more then a couple come up in a spot. And coming in with the cottonseed makes sense since it is mostly were feed was spilled when this place was still an active dairy. Those are the areas most of the really crappy stuff cameup, velvet leaf and hemlock.

Shanghai":1cntpcw9 said:
I've had cimmeron max kill mesquite
I'd wager it'd kill it

I bought some cimmaron plus, or max. I can't remember at the feed store about 3 weeks ago. I probably should have went to my normal chemical place. They guy said put .25 ounces to the acre, I wouldn't be disappointed. I put .33. You think that was enough? It didn't even kill some polk plants.

I also should add, I didn't read the label. Yea, I'm that guy. I mixed it in a gallon bucket with about a half gallon water. The. I mixed that in 5 gallon bucket with about 3 gallons of water in it. Then I poured that in my sprayer. That's my standard operating procedure for granular herbecide. I bet I screwed that up?????

If you don't have a whole pasture full of them you can probably just pull them up before they go to seed. What I've done with some goatweeds over the year. Takes a few years to get rid of them though.

TexasBred":2leswfq0 said:
If you don't have a whole pasture full of them you can probably just pull them up before they go to seed. What I've done with some goatweeds over the year. Takes a few years to get rid of them though.
Dicots so they pull easy 99% of the time. When I first built this house, the yard was bare ground, till we seeded it for a lawn, but before the grass got 1/4" tall, the goatweed sprung up everywhere--almost solid. I mowed them, and they grew right back from the cut stalks. Couldn't spray without hurting the newly emerged grass, so wife and I crawled the yard on our hands and knees side by side pulling every single one up. Haven't had any come up since. Yard is one measured acre. It took awhile.
In the pastures when their was bad drought and goatweed was everywhere, used to try to figure out some kind of tooling that you could mount on a tractor that would pull them up as you drove along.

It was back with a vengeance this year. I decided to send one off to be identified. They said it was Ambrosia bidentata. Never heard of it before. They said anything with dicomba in it would kill it. Grazeon p + d is the only one I know of. Wish there was a cheaper alternative. I did buy a 2 gallon jug of it this spring. Worked good, but terribly expensive.

ddd75":2ffm2dcd said:
when i had sheep they would eat that

Cows won't eat it, and oddly enough, they also eat in a pretty big radious around it.

They said anything with dicomba in it would kill it. Grazeon p + d is the only one I know of. Wish there was a cheaper alternative. I did buy a 2 gallon jug of it this spring. Worked good, but terribly expensive.

Grazon P+D does not have dicamba in it, it has Tordon and 2,4-D. You can buy straight dicamba, it goes by a few different names, Dicamba or Banvel being the most common. You can also buy premixes with 2,4-D and Dicamba. Almost every company makes them: Brash, Weedmaster, etc.

I thought the D was dicamba. I'm batting a 1000 this week on everything. Transposed two numbers the other day and sprayed 23 ounces of remedy to the acre instead of 32. Still killed though.

Found this, a generic form. It's $240 for 2 and 1/2 gallons. Sound about right?

hay, rangeland and farmstead): 0.5-2 pints per acre

At a pint to the acre, it'd be about $12 to spray.

IIRC I had some of that in a hay field in Mo
The SWCD guy took some of it and it was some kind of DOG BANE
Like you D wouldnt touch it
I think i finally hit it with Remedy a few yrs in a row in early spring and it knocked it back pretty good may take a couple yrs

Latest posts