What is the largest cattle ranch in the world?

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
What is the largest cattle ranch or company in numbers of cattle in the World? I figure some of the Australian Pastoral Companies might be.

I would believe the King Ranch in Texas and in Florida is teh largest in the world. Been there and it states that it is teh largest in the world. The ranch consist of 828,000 acres and is bigger than 22 States in the US. Also, if you took all teh fence around the King Ranch, it would stretch all teh way to Boston, MA. They raise Gerts and I don't know what type of horses, but I think its either paints or quarter horses. :cboy:

The King Ranch in Texas is the largest ranch in the United States....825,000 acres.

Then there's the Australian Agricultural Cattle Co. From what I've read it's a business that has share holders, NOT individually owned so I don't count it as a ranch. Yes it has cattle, yes there are cowboys that work there, but it's a major corporation that's bought up land and is funded by non working share holders.

Hill Creek Farm":2j6f9s5v said:
I would believe the King Ranch in Texas and in Florida is teh largest in the world. Been there and it states that it is teh largest in the world. The ranch consist of 828,000 acres and is bigger than 22 States in the US. Also, if you took all teh fence around the King Ranch, it would stretch all teh way to Boston, MA. They raise Gerts and I don't know what type of horses, but I think its either paints or quarter horses. :cboy:

wow so nieve this is the second time i am haveing to correct you on the king ranch theory of being the largest ranch in the world , BIG NEWS IT ISNT for the second time , "Hill Creek Farm" you must just make posts and not read anyone elses posts are you blind. LOOK AT THIS LINK KING RANCH IS SMALL.............this subject has been brought up before it is getting old there is more to the world then Texas. get out of the valley, ;-) :D

http://www.wrightsair.com.au/anna.htm

topsquar":315m66dg said:
Hill Creek Farm":315m66dg said:

wow so nieve this is the second time i am haveing to correct you on the king ranch theory of being the largest ranch in the world , BIG NEWS IT ISNT for the second time , "Hill Creek Farm" you must just make posts and not read anyone elses posts are you blind. LOOK AT THIS LINK KING RANCH IS SMALL.............this subject has been brought up before it is getting old there is more to the world then Texas. get out of the valley, ;-) :D

Well, can't agrue with that. So that is the biggest Ranch in the world. It is called the Anna Creek Station, 6 Million acres. Thats a lot of acres to look after. I wonder if they ever touch all of it by horses or 4 wheelers or by Kangroos? :cboy:

Anna creek station is 6,000,000 acres= Australia

King Ranch is 825,000 acres= Texas

enough said. now can you see the difference "Hill Creek Farm"

link=http://www.wrightsair.com.au/anna.htm

Hill Creek Farm":1jgqpyj5 said:
topsquar":1jgqpyj5 said:
Hill Creek Farm":1jgqpyj5 said:

Well, can't agrue with that. So that is the biggest Ranch in the world. It is called the Anna Creek Station, 6 Million acres. Thats a lot of acres to look after. I wonder if they ever touch all of it by horses or 4 wheelers or by Kangroos? :cboy:

Helicopters and motorcycles

My ranch is the biggest. My ranch is the biggest, May ranch is the biggest. If I keep repeating it it might come true.

Ow well, thats OK, I have really big hands. :lol: :lol:

Not the biggest, but I always thought the Parker Ranch in Hawaii was one of the most interesting ranches. I think there is something like 175,000 acres of pasture and cattle can graze year round. Awesome weather, beautiful scenery, thousands of cows; can't get much better than that.

ChrisB":blfcitc1 said:
Not the biggest, but I always thought the Parker Ranch in Hawaii was one of the most interesting ranches. I think there is something like 175,000 acres of pasture and cattle can graze year round. Awesome weather, beautiful scenery, thousands of cows; can't get much better than that.

It always amazes me there is a ranch like that in Hi.

Of course Im still confused about the Ford King ranch edition pickup. Exactly which ranch chore was that built for?

3MR":173996u4 said:
Of course Im still confused about the Ford King ranch edition pickup. Exactly which ranch chore was that built for?

The showing your neighbors that you have a lot of money to whiz against the wall ranch chore.

dun

CopeMan":38c1gjr4 said:
What is the largest cattle ranch or company in numbers of cattle in the World? I figure some of the Australian Pastoral Companies might be.

Restate the question for my small mind. Others havnt asked but are you refering to land or cattle?

Anna Creek only carries 13,000 head of cattle while a good number hardly the largest.

Also if my numbers serve me thats a cow for every 333.3 acres which must put that as some of the poorest land in the world. Has to be dry with poor dirt.

MD

i think y'all missed the question, it wasn't mear size but largest cattle numbers.
Don't know about Australia, but in the U.S.
Deseret checked in in 1998 with 35,000 head of cows/calves and heifers.

Discovering the Deseret Ranch

Many people may be surprised to learn that Central Florida is home to the largest working cattle ranch in the United States.

The myregion.org Naturally Central Florida Committee held their May 16 meeting at the Deseret Ranch, which occupies approximately 300,000 acres across portions of Brevard, Orange and Osceola Counties.

The Deseret Ranch is a vast environmental landscape that features pastures, citrus groves and natural wildlife habitats. It also includes 1,000 miles of canals, 250 miles of roads and 1,400 miles of fences.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints purchased most of the ranch during the 1950's. The ranch is part of the church's agriculture investments and is a for-profit taxable operation. The word Deseret means honeybee and signifies industriousness and hard work. The ranch uses a "beehive" for a brand.

James Payne, a member of the myregion.org Board of Directors and the Property Manager for the ranch, led members of the committee on a bus tour of a small portion of the vast property. The headquarters for the ranch are located in the Southeast part of the land in Osceola County. It also includes a Visitor's Center, complete with a large stuffed alligator and maps and pictures that showcase the history of the ranch.

More than 75 employees and their families live in houses across the ranch. Among the amenities of the property is a small swimming hole, which provides relaxation and heat relief for everyone in the community as well as campgrounds and rodeo arena.

There are currently 44,000 cows, including replacement heifers and purebred cows, on the ranch. They are broken into 14 cattle units and spread the 300,000 acres. A foreman and a couple cowboys operate each unit. The cattle are rotated from pasture to pasture to maintain grazing quality. Each cattle unit consists of several pastures with a variety of water and food options. Many pine, cypress and hardwood trees dot portions of the property and provide coverage for the cows on warm Florida days.

While cattle operations are the primary focus of the ranch, portions of the property are used in other ways. As part of a wildlife management plan, 45 hunt clubs lease portions of the ranch and harvest animals, thereby maintaining optimal habitat conditions and herd size. Timber is also harvested to allow for regeneration while maintaining wildlife habitat. Other site leases include TV and radio towers.

Just did some quick research and the King Ranch is reported to have an inventory for 2006 of more than 60,000 head of cattle.

Hoover's Inc.

redfornow":3qn44i71 said:
CopeMan":3qn44i71 said:

Restate the question for my small mind. Others havnt asked but are you refering to land or cattle?

Anna Creek only carries 13,000 head of cattle while a good number hardly the largest.

Also if my numbers serve me thats a cow for every 333.3 acres which must put that as some of the poorest land in the world. Has to be dry with poor dirt.

MD
I agree that it is probably dry and poor soil. Do you all remember the Braxton herd in New Zealand? That was a beautiful cowherd and some of the best cows were sired by the Braxton Ginat bloodlines. :cboy:

Diehard40":2qn9mmac said:
i think y'all missed the question, it wasn't mear size but largest cattle numbers.
Don't know about Australia, but in the U.S.
Deseret checked in in 1998 with 35,000 head of cows/calves and heifers.
I guess then I was right. Since the King Ranch runs over 60,000 head of cattle, the Florida ranch runs 35,000 and this Anna Creek only runs 13,000, then top, I was right, the King Ranch runs more cattle than any other ranch in the world. :cboy:

I was at the King ranch for a tour with Block and Bridle back in 1990 and at that time they owned about 50,000 head of cattle. The ranch has a subdivision on it for the families that work there and their own school. There next to the headquarters was a building housing the road department that would look like any typical county garage. Also at the time, the ranch had a feed lot that was about 17,000 head capacity. In 1990, they were saying that they owned 1.2 million acres (825,000 in US; with some foreign owned and horse farm in Ky.) but I believe that foreign ground was sold, as was the Kentucky farm. Troy

Latest posts