What is the largest cattle ranch in the world?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hill Creek Farm":3jotufvo said:
Diehard40":3jotufvo said:
i think y'all missed the question, it wasn't mear size but largest cattle numbers.
Don't know about Australia, but in the U.S.
Deseret checked in in 1998 with 35,000 head of cows/calves and heifers.
I guess then I was right. Since the King Ranch runs over 60,000 head of cattle, the Florida ranch runs 35,000 and this Anna Creek only runs 13,000, then top, I was right, the King Ranch runs more cattle than any other ranch in the world. :cboy:

Might want to recheck the numbers for King. It has always been a given that Deseret is the biggest "cow/calf" producer in the U.S. and I assume The World. While King comes in as the biggest ranch in land mass in the U.S. I've been wrong before, but pretty sure not this time. Regardless, Deseret is one big mother, at something like 9 times the size of Rhode Island. It's like it's own community as well.

Copeman, the issue of "who's the biggest" (and variations on that theme) sure seems to interest you a lot. How about we appoint you to do the research and then report back to the class with your findings! :lol:

And with Rhode Island having an estimated land mass of 1,214 square miles, that would be right at 775,000 acres. A section = 640 acres = a square mile.

So, as much as I'd like to say that my fellow Texans down in Kingsville have a ranch that's 9 times larger than the state of Rhode Island, it just isn't so --- and the King ranch is certainly not larger than 22 of the states! They do have a heck of a lot of cattle though -- plus many fine whitetails, nilgai and other wild game, plus cropland. Not to mention a very fine herd of rattlesnakes.

Arnold. I thought maybe you were gonna say that "GREEN ACRES" is the largest and most cattle populated.

Eb would be busy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Arnold Ziffle":38vra79m said:
Copeman, the issue of "who's the biggest" (and variations on that theme) sure seems to interest you a lot. How about we appoint you to do the research and then report back to the class with your findings! :lol:

And with Rhode Island having an estimated land mass of 1,214 square miles, that would be right at 775,000 acres. A section = 640 acres = a square mile.

So, as much as I'd like to say that my fellow Texans down in Kingsville have a ranch that's 9 times larger than the state of Rhode Island, it just isn't so --- and the King ranch is certainly not larger than 22 of the states! They do have a heck of a lot of cattle though -- plus many fine whitetails, nilgai and other wild game, plus cropland. Not to mention a very fine herd of rattlesnakes.

AZ I thought the largest privately owned was on Oahu Hawaii.

Well, at one time it was, Mike. But I got together with Oliver and we decided to let Mr. Haney sell off the place in ranchette size parcels so that even more city folks could become hobby ranchers. :lol:

Arnold Ziffle":2kjlbtec said:
Well, at one time it was, Mike. But I got together with Oliver and we decided to let Mr. Haney sell off the place in ranchette size parcels so that even more city folks could become hobby ranchers. :lol:

Mt favorite show. I wouldn't care if it was the only show on TV, besides Fox news.

the new issue of the national cattlemen magazine just came out and it had the top 25 cow calf ranches and the top ranch was in florida and they have 40,000 head of cows it is owned by a mourmon church... and as far as the land i don't know the name of the place but their is a ranch in the U.S. that is 3.3 million acres
Watson Brangus

Arnold Ziffle":2slxqrvg said:

Assuming you are correct, I was extremely mistaken on the size of RI. My bad.

Arnold Ziffle":2qkhwcvm said:

Ive read that King Ranch has 60,000 head of cattle but I dont know if they have all 60,000 on the Texas Ranch? And also to Hill Creek Farm, the King Ranch raises Santa Gertrudis and Santa Cruz cattle. Santa Gertrudis was recognized as the first American breed of cattle. It was developed by Captain Richard Kings grandson Bob Kleberg, his brother Dick Kleberg was the man who convinced the US to recognize it. As far as the horses go, they raise QUARTER HORSES. And good ones to, not to mention there horse was the first ever to be registered with the AQHA for winning the Fort Worth Fat Stock Show. Tio Kleberg served as AQHA President. King RAnch also raises Thoroughbreds and had the horse ASSAULT who won the 1946 Triple Crown. I would be curious to know if they do have all 60,000 head of cattle on the ranch?

Hill Creek Farm":1zeqlgzj said:
Diehard40":1zeqlgzj said:
i think y'all missed the question, it wasn't mear size but largest cattle numbers.
Don't know about Australia, but in the U.S.
Deseret checked in in 1998 with 35,000 head of cows/calves and heifers.
I guess then I was right. Since the King Ranch runs over 60,000 head of cattle, the Florida ranch runs 35,000 and this Anna Creek only runs 13,000, then top, I was right, the King Ranch runs more cattle than any other ranch in the world. :cboy:

Take a look again buddy!! AACo. in Australia runs 502,000 head of beef cattle, and employs 500 people. http://www.aaco.com.au/AboutUs.aspx

Does the King Ranch still use helicopters to move the cowboys around? I saw a helicopter used once to herd cattle, neatest thing ever. One helicopter could do the work of 10 cowboys on 4 wheelers.

I dont know if they use them to move cowboys around, but I saw a photograph in an exhibit at the Cowboy hall of Fame in OKC, that was attributed to the King Ranch, that showed them herding cows with a helicopter.

3MR":yc2e5aac said:
I dont know if they use them to move cowboys around, but I saw a photograph in an exhibit at the Cowboy hall of Fame in OKC, that was attributed to the King Ranch, that showed them herding cows with a helicopter.

Yes they used helicopters to round up cattle. Jimmie Tiller ran a helicopter service for years rounding up cattle on many South Texas cattle ranches including the King Ranch.

wow so nieve this is the second time i am haveing to correct you on the king ranch theory of being the largest ranch in the world , BIG NEWS IT ISNT for the second time , "Hill Creek Farm" you must just make posts and not read anyone elses posts are you blind. LOOK AT THIS LINK KING RANCH IS SMALL.............this subject has been brought up before it is getting old there is more to the world then Texas. get out of the valley,
gee topsquar your post is a little hard to read you dont use much punctuation so it is a little difficult to know when to stop i think you are a little upset because you feel you must have the biggest and best of everything i have sort of gotten that feeling you have indicated your disgust several times does it really make that much difference to you i guess a better indication of how big a ranch is would be how much net money they make in a year do you know what that place in australia makes in a year what breed of cattle do they raise or is it something else

DOC HARRIS

troyinky":mlnu44cb said:
I was at the King ranch for a tour with Block and Bridle back in 1990 and at that time they owned about 50,000 head of cattle. The ranch has a subdivision on it for the families that work there and their own school. There next to the headquarters was a building housing the road department that would look like any typical county garage. Also at the time, the ranch had a feed lot that was about 17,000 head capacity. In 1990, they were saying that they owned 1.2 million acres (825,000 in US; with some foreign owned and horse farm in Ky.) but I believe that foreign ground was sold, as was the Kentucky farm. Troy

I found online that they have 1.6 million acres. We haven't mentioned the farm operation in Florida either.

DOC HARRIS":24st2vya said:
wow so nieve this is the second time i am haveing to correct you on the king ranch theory of being the largest ranch in the world , BIG NEWS IT ISNT for the second time , "Hill Creek Farm" you must just make posts and not read anyone elses posts are you blind. LOOK AT THIS LINK KING RANCH IS SMALL.............this subject has been brought up before it is getting old there is more to the world then Texas. get out of the valley,
gee topsquar your post is a little hard to read you dont use much punctuation so it is a little difficult to know when to stop i think you are a little upset because you feel you must have the biggest and best of everything i have sort of gotten that feeling you have indicated your disgust several times does it really make that much difference to you i guess a better indication of how big a ranch is would be how much net money they make in a year do you know what that place in australia makes in a year what breed of cattle do they raise or is it something else

DOC HARRIS

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gee doc its not nice to make fun of the uneducated i do however agree that its sometimes difficult to read posts from those who dont know how to use puctuation or the shift key does anybody else feel this way please people try to remember when you post you are writing and not speaking there is a difference sorry im just feeling a little sarcastic today i wouldnt have rambled on so much but i cant find the key with the period oh there it is.

VanC":1t6agc8s said:
DOC HARRIS":1t6agc8s said:

DOC HARRIS

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gee doc its not nice to make fun of the uneducated i do however agree that its sometimes difficult to read posts from those who dont know how to use puctuation or the shift key does anybody else feel this way please people try to remember when you post you are writing and not speaking there is a difference sorry im just feeling a little sarcastic today i wouldnt have rambled on so much but i cant find the key with the period oh there it is.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :clap:

SO if I read AACO's website correctly they use both a Charolais/Senepol crossed back to Brahman and a Charolais/Senepol crossed back to Santa Gertrudis composite cow as the basis for their 502,000 cow herd? They also have a Wagyu herd.

Of course they are also a publicly traded corporation so technically anybody on this board COULD buy shares and rightfully claim to be part owner of one of the largest cattle ranches in the world if not THE largest.

Latest posts