What is the best Cattle Fence Post?

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB":6xdt3s6n said:
I've seen plastic posts advertised but have never seen a price on them. They are made out of recycled plastic and are 5" diameter x 8' long. The ad states you can cut or drive staples in them the same as wood and they last forever. I thought of calling and getting a price and possibly ordering a bundle or two, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Chris B We have tried some up here , They warped in the sun..

BH":1jtt9gyp said:
We use "come alongs" also but we stretch past the wood post and drive a staple in deep to hold the wire, release the come along, and wrap the post. Are you saying that you put the come along and clamp in front of the metal post and wrap the wire before releasing the pressure?
That's the way I do it. You can't have a lot of extra as you will have to be able to get it between the stretcher and wire, after a couple of times you can judge how much will be needed with out using too much.

We do almost the same thing ..But we use a tired old Ford truck to stretch the wire . When the truck stalls shes is nice and tight.

frenchie":2bmdxc41 said:
We do almost the same thing ..But we use a tired old Ford truck to stretch the wire . When the truck stalls shes is nice and tight.

HEhehehe i love that.

Steel doesn't give. I've got a fence stretcher that works like an old bumper jack. You can use cross ties and they give, but not as much as the braces in those corners. You weld in 4 inch pipe corners, pull the wire with a fence stretcher or come-a-long, and the posts don't give at all. Brush fires won't burn them either.

I used some 3 1/4" pipe with 3/8" wall for some of my corners and at my gates. I didn't build an "H" but instead I ran another pipe down from the corner post at roughly 45 degrees, then turned it down to go into the ground. We put concrete on them and they are rock solid. We used some creosote posts on opposite ends because we are just used to stretching past the posts. I thought about using the technique mentioned earlier with a clamp in front of the metal post I was just not sure how much slack that would put in the wire since a short distance of wire (between the clamp and post) would only be hand tight. One thing that we have had success with is alternating the wire from one side to the other on corners and at gates. This helps to distribute the torque of the wire so that it doesnt try to pull the back post out of alignment with the fence.

One thing that we have had success with is alternating the wire from one side to the other on corners and at gates. This helps to distribute the torque of the wire so that it doesnt try to pull the back post out of alignment with the fence.

Hey, Thats a great idea!! :D I've never thought of that.
Thanks

Brett

Anyone ever use fiberglass suckerrod for line posts on electric fence? I've read about this several places and it seems like a good idea, but I don't have any idea where to get them (at a reasonable price).

gberry":f5rxrvjb said:
Anyone ever use fiberglass suckerrod for line posts on electric fence? I've read about this several places and it seems like a good idea, but I don't have any idea where to get them (at a reasonable price).

Freinds used them extensively with high tensile electric. Biggest draw back I see is that they're not UV stablized and shed glass after the first year. Not sure what that may do to the posts integrity. It sure makes them ugly to touch without very heavy leather gloves.

dun

I have no experience with high tensile woven. What does it cost and when do you think it is worth the expense?[/quote]

I too live in Minnesota and I put my first hi tensile fence up 10 years ago. Still in excellent shape. Nieighbor put up a new barb wire fence along road same year as I started hi tensile, remember that bad winter 10 years or so ago? That winter fences along road were completely buried by snow plows. Next spring mine was in perfect shape , wires all popped back, I only replaced a few insulators that were pulled off the posts. The neighbor's barb wire wa scompletely gone. Wire broke in dozens of places and posts tipped over. Last year a pickup when off the road and through some of my fence. I had to only replace a couple insulators and pulll a couple T posts straight. I did find pickup pieces laying around. Not one wire broke. I can't reccommend it highly enough.

gberry":2jlc26s4 said:

Haven't used fg suckerrod but do use 3/8 in fg Sungard posts for electric lineposts. Get them at TSC for $.99, kencove has them but cost a few cents more. Works great with spring clips to hold wire on.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards

Brock

case14123":2vct3std said:
I am getting ready to build new fence and in process of buying all the supplies , however noe I am stumped on wood post I really dont want make ay mistakes . I have talked with one supplier he sell Southern Yellow pine post another says Lodge Pine post and some say use plastic post . I need a post for long life as I am putting a wovwen wire fence up fr cattle .This a 9-49-6 solidlock hi tinsle. Can anyone dirct me?

I reconmend installing a high tinsel fence and use metal fence post and Push-A-Post cornors. It is stronger than conventional fencing and with electric charge it is no danger of animals getting out if installed correctly.

Anybody got more information about the plastic fence posts that were discussed recently. My interest is in the ones you can drive a staple into and or the ones shaped like a pencil that can be driven into the ground. Thanks.

D Land":iiwsyljh said:
Anybody got more information about the plastic fence posts that were discussed recently. My interest is in the ones you can drive a staple into and or the ones shaped like a pencil that can be driven into the ground. Thanks.

Do a google search for "recycled plastic posts"

Regards

Brock

There is a place not too far from me in Ohio that sells 5" X 7.5' plastic posts for just about the same as the so-called pressure treated posts. They may or may not be willing to tell you who thier supplier is. Company is Lerch's Barnlot Ltd. 937-393-1016. I am going to try some out, got to be better that the treated posts we get around here. I hear that they drive pretty good also.

kenojoe":139f3qxo said:
There is a place not too far from me in Ohio that sells 5" X 7.5' plastic posts for just about the same as the so-called pressure treated posts. They may or may not be willing to tell you who thier supplier is. Company is Lerch's Barnlot Ltd. 937-393-1016. I am going to try some out, got to be better that the treated posts we get around here. I hear that they drive pretty good also.

kenojoe

Please keep us posted on your experience with them.

Regards

Brock

They are replacing all the old railroad ties over there in IL. If you are interested in getting those, pm me as the guy has all lengths and some old, some almost new. He sells them for $5 to $9 depending on length. They are stockpiled on the farm right now where I board my cows.

Those round plastic posts are okay. They come in white or green is all I've seen. I've not seen any lately (Tractor Supply used to have them). They are made by proctor and gamble (which has a plant here closeby) or was what I was told.

Latest posts