What is the best Cattle Fence Post?

Help Support CattleToday:

case14123

Reaction score
I am getting ready to build new fence and in process of buying all the supplies , however noe I am stumped on wood post I really dont want make ay mistakes . I have talked with one supplier he sell Southern Yellow pine post another says Lodge Pine post and some say use plastic post . I need a post for long life as I am putting a wovwen wire fence up fr cattle .This a 9-49-6 solidlock hi tinsle. Can anyone dirct me?

I like to use hedge posts for barbed wire fence, it would work good for woven wires also. For corrals, I use small diameter telephone posts (6-8 inches) (not shure what kind of wood, maybe they're pine?).

I don't believe I've ever heard of plastic posts for any thing other than the expensive electric fence posts.

To save money, could you alternate wood posts, with t posts, say 1 wood post then 2 shorter spaced t posts then 1 wood post?

I've seen plastic posts advertised but have never seen a price on them. They are made out of recycled plastic and are 5" diameter x 8' long. The ad states you can cut or drive staples in them the same as wood and they last forever. I thought of calling and getting a price and possibly ordering a bundle or two, but just haven't gotten around to it.

I've seen plastic posts advertised but have never seen a price on them. They are made out of recycled plastic and are 5" diameter x 8' long. The ad states you can cut or drive staples in them the same as wood and they last forever. I thought of calling and getting a price and possibly ordering a bundle or two, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Interesting
Are they pretty solid? I guess that when I hear plastic, I think light and flimsy. how do they compare to wood posts in price?

I haven't priced them yet or even seen any up close. They look like they are made pretty much the same as the solid maintenence free decking, but I'm not sure. If I can find the ad again I will get some info and share it.

I don;t have the posts but we have a picnic table built from the stuff. Heavy and very solid.
The problem I've had with hedge is that it's not straight enough to hang field fence, works great for barbed or hotwire though. Cedar is an option that lasts a long while. We use either old utility poles, 4 inch pipe or cedar for ends and gates and t-posts in between no matter what kind of fence it is. All depends on what I have handy at the time.

dun

I like pipe for corners, gates, ends and pull post everything else t-post. Used wood in the past and now in my old age have had to replace most of them.

i want t-posts and barbed wire or a good old wooden fence. everything else is a piece of crap. you hear that fencing material manufacturers?! CRAP!
*going to fix fence*

We have some of the white solid plastic "diaper" posts around our yard with 39" field fence and a strand of red brand barbed wire. They are about 3 inches in diameter and they come sharpened like a pencil. You can use a hand driver or a hydraulic driver to put them in the ground. The neigbors have a few for corners that are 6" or 8" in diameter. They are braced pretty well and seem to be holding up great. The only thing is, don't expect them to stay pretty and white. They will get mold and mildew on them. They are also similar to hedge in that it is VERY hard to pull a steeple out of them. They are somewhat flexible so that if you bump them with the tractor or a calf hits them, they won't break, just bend over a little and spring right back. I even saw my BIL run over one with the fourwheeler one time (obviously not on purpose) and it bent over and sprang right back up.

This has been a copyrighted telecast. The author of this post is in no way, shape or form responsible for any dissatisfaction of the aforementioned product. No legal claims can be made against him or his family. :lol: :lol:

After seeing all the fences burn up in the wild fires in Texas, I would never build a wood or plastic fence. Steel posts, steel t-posts and wire only.

LonghornRanch":3c341pes said:
After seeing all the fences burn up in the wild fires in Texas, I would never build a wood or plastic fence. Steel posts, steel t-posts and wire only.

Probably a smart idea for those of you in that area, but we don't have wildfires here thankfully and I don't think they do in Central Illlinois either.

Beefy":3uqw3u3t said:
i want t-posts and barbed wire or a good old wooden fence. everything else is a piece of crap. you hear that fencing material manufacturers?! CRAP!
*going to fix fence*

Don't hold back

How do you all stretch from metal to metal on corners/braces and keep the wire tight when you tie off?

I use a a "come along" and a wire clamp. You can get the wire clamps and "come alongs" at Tractor Supply. If you are using wire mesh, use a "pulling board". You alway leave extra wire after the wire clamp (on the end) to wrap around and tie off on the post. Then release the "come along". I advise using kickers on all corners and any H braces that are not on level ground.

We use "come alongs" also but we stretch past the wood post and drive a staple in deep to hold the wire, release the come along, and wrap the post. Are you saying that you put the come along and clamp in front of the metal post and wrap the wire before releasing the pressure?

We use "come alongs" also but we stretch past the wood post and drive a staple in deep to hold the wire, release the come along, and wrap the post. Are you saying that you put the come along and clamp in front of the metal post and wrap the wire before releasing the pressure?
That's the way I do it. You can't have a lot of extra as you will have to be able to get it between the stretcher and wire, after a couple of times you can judge how much will be needed with out using too much.

case14123":2f2ngp2d said:
I need a post for long life?

A good tee post will outlast wood in this country. You may be able to buy used ones for $1.50 each if you look around. The only problem with tee posts is they push over easily. If you have some damp low ground you may want to alternate 1 wood and then 2 tees.

One hot "scare" wire will greatly extend the life of your fence.

I have no experience with high tensile woven. What does it cost and when do you think it is worth the expense?

I use 3 barbed wire with one hot wire. I use Locust wood posts for the main support posts and t-posts in between.
The Locust will last for years (have some locust posts still standing that my grandpa put in the ground 50 years ago).
Locust is hard to pound staples in though :lol: .

kb5iod,

Steel doesn't give. I've got a fence stretcher that works like an old bumper jack. You can use cross ties and they give, but not as much as the braces in those corners. You weld in 4 inch pipe corners, pull the wire with a fence stretcher or come-a-long, and the posts don't give at all. Brush fires won't burn them either.

Latest posts