What is a fender skirt

Help Support CattleToday:

NamVet_Farmer44":9xnamfoh said:
just about every time I tried to help my mother with the chores, i'd end up with a few hurting fingertips :lol:

That's why my mother had an old piece of broom handle. Fish the stuff out of the washer and poke it into the wringer. We had a power wringer aftr a while but the first one you had to crank it by hand. That was a tough job at times. I saw one a while back that actaully had a safety type of release on it so you could pop the wringer open ifsomething got stuck, like an arm.

dun":cc82ufpp said:
How many of you got your hands caught in the wringer on the washing machine?

dun

No, I never got my hands caught, but I remember the wringer type washing machines. I think I might have been maybe 5 or 6 when Mom was using one. Sometimes I think of those old washing machines when I'm doing laundry.

I just read some interesting stuff about fels naptha soap. It's supposed to be an excellent treatment for poison oak, ivy and sumac.

dun

Oh wow thanks for the memories..... Those are words I haven't heard in a long time. Never got my hand caught in a wringer washing machine. But my granny did one time. Thats was after she got an electric wringer. She was use to her hand crank style. Aw man. washing use to be on mondays and all day job.Two rinse tubs and 1 washer with ringer.
I always remember my pa pa shellin' a mess of peas Can you even buy block ice anymore? I can remember going down on saturday afternoons and buying a nickles worth of ice . And that was for ice cream, that all of kids fussed over, It's my turn to crank the handle. Thats the time I realized that my dad was the strongest man ever.Just before the ice cream got ready,but us kids could no longer crank the handle. My dad would give it the last few turns

180px-Mangle.jpg
remember using this many a time with my Gran in the garden when I was a nipper, we called them a 'Mangle'. Had many a brusied finger. I remember the little bag of blue that went into the last rinse of the white washing, never turned anything blue that I can remember. Oh! fun days for us kids, hard days for our Mum's. give me an automatic front loader anyday.

dun":1r2sluxf said:
How did "bluing" work? Never could figure that one out. Shaving fels naptha soap into the washer. Ah yes, wash day was a reall pleasure. I don;t know cause I didn;t do it, but mother claimed it sure beat using a washing board.

dun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_(fabric)
dun found this site, it tells about the old bluing to laundry

Okay after you got your hand or arm caught in the wringer did any of you have to put your blue jeans on creasers to dry on the clothes line?

Crowderfarms":2tb8nbh3 said:
judge jb":2tb8nbh3 said:
ther were two grades of gas, regular and eythal..

judge jb

And they were pumped at a Service Station, by an attendant.

That washed your winders and checked the oil and the air in your tires

dun

dun":36bh37gc said:
Crowderfarms":36bh37gc said:
judge jb":36bh37gc said:

judge jb

dun
And they wore uniforms and gave you trading stamps when you paid for your gas. Speaking of uniforms, remember when nurses wore those crisp, white uniforms with caps perched on their heads? Nowadays you can a nurse from an orderly from a janitorial employee.
Getting back to cars, remember when cars didn't have a padded dashboard? It was steel, the glove compartment had a steel cover, and the glove compartment cover had cup holders to set your drink in when you went to the drive-in.

dun":m7c3hyoh said:
How many of you got your hands caught in the wringer on the washing machine?

dun
How about going back farther than the wringer washing machine. How about the wash pot in the yard where the water was heated and the clothes boiled and the washboard was used. All this was the womens work. Amazing how much electricity changed the rural countryside. That is thanks to REA. I think that Lyndon Johnson and Sam Rayburn was responsible for that both democrats. Now days we would give the contract to Hallibarton to furnish the electricity to us.

Creasers are a metal contraption that you put in the legs of your jeans to make a sharp crease in the front and back of the legs. Made ironing them much easier.

J. T.":3umnc8dg said:
dun":3umnc8dg said:
Crowderfarms":3umnc8dg said:
judge jb":3umnc8dg said:

judge jb

dun
And they wore uniforms and gave you trading stamps when you paid for your gas. Speaking of uniforms, remember when nurses wore those crisp, white uniforms with caps perched on their heads? Nowadays you can a nurse from an orderly from a janitorial employee.
Getting back to cars, remember when cars didn't have a padded dashboard? It was steel, the glove compartment had a steel cover, and the glove compartment cover had cup holders to set your drink in when you went to the drive-in.

When my sister first starting nursing in the 70's, she wore a white uniform and one of those little caps. There were different caps that indicated different jobs, and if you were an LVN or an RN. Student nurses had a diagonal red stripe at one corner. I dont exactly remember when nurses started wearing scrubs. I did hear a news report about a hospital in Atlanta, I think, where the new Director of Nursing had decided that her nurses were going back to the white uniforms. More professional. I agree.

Angus Guy":3qhi1d1u said:
Creasers are a metal contraption that you put in the legs of your jeans to make a sharp crease in the front and back of the legs. Made ironing them much easier.

Hey! I remember those! Mom had two sets of them that she used on Dad's jeans. I have had times when I wished I had a couple of sets.

chrisy":2p2zy1pz said:
Angus Guy":2p2zy1pz said:
Okay after you got your hand or arm caught in the wringer did any of you have to put your blue jeans on creasers to dry on the clothes line?

never heard of a creaser what is it???

That's another thing. (I keep finding stuff I want to post about!!) No one has clothes lines anymore. I love a clothes line. I don't have one now, but if I had my way, I sure would. I love the way sheets smell when they have dried on the line. At my last house, the laundry was away from the rest of the house and the clothes line was right outside the laundry room door. I have many pleasant memories when I was a kid of running through the clothes when they were on the line. And of everyone's underwear hanging out to dry. :oops:

An no offense to anyone, but I remember when certain female products were not disposable. They, too, would hang on the clothes line at certain times.

There are some things about modern life that I think everyone can appreciate!

I did hear a news report about a hospital in Atlanta, I think, where the new Director of Nursing had decided that her nurses were going back to the white uniforms. More professional. I agree.

Oh that should cause a major revolution, an earthquake and spawn a couple of tornados.I don't even want to think of the explosion that would happen if someone told my Debby she had to start wearing whites again. (Also 30+ years RN). She wears a nametag that IDs as an RN and the ADON and scrubs.Z

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most "supper." Now everybody says "dinner." Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

I still call it supper and I'm only 41. To me supper is late in the day, lunch is at noonish, and on holidays, etc.. it is referred to as dinner.

GMN

Latest posts