What is a fender skirt

Help Support CattleToday:

MillIronQH

Reaction score
I came across this phrase in a book yesterday "FENDER SKIRTS". A term I haven't heard in a long time and thinking about "fender skirts" started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice.

Like "curb feelers" and "steering knobs." Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first. Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed"

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the "running board" up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore -
"store-bought." Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "world wide" for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes. the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall arpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?" It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. So we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or simply "expecting."

Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just "bra" now "Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the other day - "rat fink." Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? "Coffee maker." How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "Electrolux" Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision!"

Food for thought - Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening kids with castor oil anymore!

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most "supper." Now everybody says "dinner." Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

This was sent to me by a friend of mine this morning. Thought I'd pass it on.Z

Memories indeed. :lol: :lol:

Of course, back then, the term "gay" had a complete different meaning. Now it is a negative and I hear kids say, "That's so gay."

Then there were words that you never used in public. Like the word "poke". Then Lonesome Dove comes out and they use it left and right, with the same meaning, on public television. Now you hear the vulgar version left and right in public too.

Every now and then I hear phrases that my grandparent's used. Can't help but smile when I hear those phrases.

MillIronQH":3l4x4x55 said:
Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just "bra" now "Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.

.Z
The next word for it will probaly be "tit holder".

la4angus":3kdlp5zn said:
MillIronQH":3kdlp5zn said:

.Z
The next word for it will probaly be "tit holder".

In the army they were called M2-A (thruD)2 Over the shoulder boulder holders. :roll: Z

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed"

Still use these and a few more on somewhat daily basis. And I'm only 53.

Have you noticed that as you get older you tend to go back to using more and more of the old terms?Z

MillIronQH":2z2muggo said:
Have you noticed that as you get older you tend to go back to using more and more of the old terms?Z

That's cause as you get older you lose the short term memory and all you can remember is old stuff.
We alwasy just called it the gas peddle.

dun

Speaking of old car terminology, remember "three on the tree"? I think "dashboard" is just caled dash now. Also, remember when tailgates were latched and supported with chains? You didn't have these rubber-coated thin cables. Plus you didn't have a tailgate latch that would stiffen up and have to be lubricated.

J. T.":389kokau said:
Speaking of old car terminology, remember "three on the tree"? I think "dashboard" is just caled dash now. Also, remember when tailgates were latched and supported with chains? You didn't have these rubber-coated thin cables. Plus you didn't have a tailgate latch that would stiffen up and have to be lubricated.

you just nearly described my pickup. four on the floor with that fancy chained tailgate. and yes, it has a dashboard! :lol2:

Yes and what about the starter. Either a button on th dash or are a pedal on the floor just to the left of the foot feed you pushed with your foot, all the key did was turn on the electric system. Now I imaigine some one will tell about using the crank on the front. The refrigrator was an ice box. You paid your light bill and not the electricity bill. Packard, Allstate, Hudson, Nash, Kiaiser, Frazer, Austin, Studebaker, Henry J., just some of the cars that might have had fender skirts and are history now.

I still call the refrigerater the ice box. The kids call it the frig. Heard some old timers call an ice chest a cold box.

I think there are people from a slightly younger generation then mine that call it an icebox because that's what their parents called it, not because they remember the iceman bringing a block of ice and having to put it in or on the "icebox".

dun

How many of you got your hands caught in the wringer on the washing machine?

dun

dun":1cj4r6gy said:

dun
Didn't get my hand caught in the wringer of a washing machine, but got my whole arm caught and broke in one once. On second thought, I guess my hand was caught first. :lol: :lol:

la4angus":1mv6jke8 said:
dun":1mv6jke8 said:

dun
Didn't get my hand caught in the wringer of a washing machine, but got my whole arm caught and broke in one once. On second thought, I guess my hand was caught first. :lol: :lol:

Your whole arm fit through the wringer?

How did "bluing" work? Never could figure that one out. Shaving fels naptha soap into the washer. Ah yes, wash day was a reall pleasure. I don;t know cause I didn;t do it, but mother claimed it sure beat using a washing board.

dun

dun":37udjb7o said:
How did "bluing" work? Never could figure that one out. Shaving fells naptha soap into the washer. Ah yes, wash day was a reall pleasure. I don;t know cause I didn;t do it, but mother claimed it sure beat using a washing board.

dun

Aint sure how bluing worked...my mother stopped using it, only after I had to go to school a few times with my white shirt turned a sky blue color...got right many whoopins at school before I finally got her to stop using it

la4angus":xlb03q8d said:
NamVet_Farmer44 dun[/quote:xlb03q8d said:

Your whole arm fit through the wringer?
I guess so. That's what my folks, my grandma and other old timers that knew about it tells me. I think I was about 3 or 4 yrs old at the time. I sorta vaguely remember it happening. I still have the old wringer.[/quote]

I never had my whole arm, or even my whole hand fit through our wringer...but just about every time I tried to help my mother with the chores, i'd end up with a few hurting fingertips :lol: