What I'm seeing today

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms":23tdparf said:
He's kinda built like a buffalo, but I sure aint saying he won't do a good job. I've seen alot worse make good calves.

Why are you saying he is built like a buffalo ? because he looks taller in the front than the back?
if so he looks that way because he is standing with his front feet on ground that is 16 to 18 inches higher than where his back feet are

actually he has a pretty even topline if standing on flat ground

He looks good enough to me also! Just on the thin side.
You can make anything look out of proportion with the angle of the camera and the lay of the ground.
My pictures are not so good, I am working on that.

AC owed you some money and you had to take the bull to break even. ;-) Looks like he's missing some groceries, working hard or both.

Angus Cowman":1jf3m83l said:
denvermartinfarms":1jf3m83l said:
He's kinda built like a buffalo, but I sure aint saying he won't do a good job. I've seen alot worse make good calves.

Why are you saying he is built like a buffalo ? because he looks taller in the front than the back?
if so he looks that way because he is standing with his front feet on ground that is 16 to 18 inches higher than where his back feet are

actually he has a pretty even topline if standing on flat ground

That may have been part of it. In that picture he looked especially big in the shoulders and narrow in the back.

One load out tonight.
001.jpg

002.jpg

It sucks when you buy a cow that is supposed to be heavy bred and you have to wait like that. She did give you a nice calf, though. That red brockle-face will ring the bell in your markets this fall?
I like your white -faced cow there, is the calf bwf or black?

jasonleonard":1jy4y9y8 said:
It sucks when you buy a cow that is supposed to be heavy bred and you have to wait like that. She did give you a nice calf, though. That red brockle-face will ring the bell in your markets this fall?
I like your white -faced cow there, is the calf bwf or black?
The cow that calved is actually a 5 year old out of another old cow I raised from a heifer, I had a bull problem so I had some checked, my good vet is an hour away but I have a vet here close only about 10 minutes away so I tried him, now we know how that went. The heifer calf I will keep and breed to a brangus bull a year from June.

The pair I bought has a solid black bull calf. He's good and the cow hasn't been fed good and still has alot of milk.

TexasBred":3mq7o4br said:
denvermartinfarms":3mq7o4br said:
High dollar junk!

Hey man...what are you doing sitting way up there in the cheap seats?? You deserve one of those close up theater chairs. :cowboy:
Naa, I was sitting on a bench that's even better than those seats, for some reason I've always set at the top or close to the top at most sales. Then there's a few that are built to where you have to sit close if your wanting to see very good.

At least they've got seats in the 'balcony'. The closest one to me just has a couple of raised tiers up there, kinda like an amphitheater. Last time I tried to sit up there, I realized I had gotten old when I had to reach down with my hand and help my leg get high enough to make that step. (taught me to get there earlier).

One I go to ooks pretty clean in the lobby at first, but once the break right before the calves are sold happens, that same floor looks like someone dumped a 55 gal drum of cow shyt out on it.
You DON'T want to go to the restroom out under the stairs leading to the catwalks either. Pretty rank even for a salebarn.

Around here the oldest barns are only as old as the 70s and most of them are very clean with a few exceptions. The more I get out I see it's sure enough not that way everywhere.

Latest posts