What grass is this

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes. I googled rescue grass. Thats exactly what it is. My cattle dont seem to be eating it right now.

fenceman":26mkhyku said:
Rescue grass

Yep

Rescuegrass-type bromegrasses are available as 'Stocker' and 'Matua'. These grasses are excellent horse pasture and hay. They can be managed for perpetual volunteer stands, as ryegrass and crabgrass are. Stocker bromegrass can be green into summer up to a month after annual ryegrass matures.

BK9954":2jrs16fk said:
Yes. I googled rescue grass. Thats exactly what it is. My cattle dont seem to be eating it right now.

They will eat it. Its good to have . it got the name rescue for reason.caustic burno explained why.

BK9954":chbz38q3 said:
Does anyone know the protien content or nutritional content. Cant find any info on thst

It really doesn't matter because nothing in your pasture is much more than filler
right now during the spring flush.
By the time the summer grass is here and in high gear it will be gone till next year.

Caustic Burno":20ql05ja said:
BK9954":20ql05ja said:
Does anyone know the protien content or nutritional content. Cant find any info on thst

It really doesn't matter because nothing in your pasture is much more than filler
By the time the summer grass is here and in high gear it will be gone till next year.
.CB, How So. I don't supplement pasture this time of year. My cattle gain very well on just green grass.I personally recommend testing your grasses and your soil every time you think of it. Just for what you will learn about your land and your forage.
RESPECTIVELY FENCEMAN

During the winter they did not gain as much as now. They are young heifers and growing. As of now they are getting as fat as pigs. They didnt loose weight this winter but didnt put it on as fast. When I,bought them in October they were fairly skinny and around 300-350 pounds. Right now they are gorging themselves on grass and legume grass. They even eat the new growth on tree's when I watch them. I have a wide varieties of grass growing now such as resue grass, bermuda and spear grass.

fenceman":16iw0sfb said:
Caustic Burno":16iw0sfb said:
BK9954":16iw0sfb said:

.CB, How So. I don't supplement pasture this time of year. My cattle gain very well on just green grass.I personally recommend testing your grasses and your soil every time you think of it. Just for what you will learn about your land and your forage.
RESPECTIVELY FENCEMAN

It is real simple I can't change the grass or the hay .
I test my soil yearly and take care of it appropriately, the grass I have and hay is what they get.
Can't change my grass but I can get a better more efficient cow.
Lot cheaper to keep a good cow than a bad one there are easy and hard keepers.
I am a grass farmer using a bovine to convert grass to cash.
Any cow that can not maintain BCS on your forage and raise a calf is not worth keeping.

RESPECTIVELY FENCEMAN[/quote]

It is real simple I can't change the grass or the hay .
I test my soil yearly and take care of it appropriately, the grass I have and hay is what they get.
Can't change my grass but I can get a better more efficient cow.
Lot cheaper to keep a good cow than a bad one there are easy and hard keepers.
I am a grass farmer using a bovine to convert grass to cash.
Any cow that can not maintain BCS on your forage and raise a calf is not worth keeping.[/quote]
Understood about the efficient cow. Not about pasture being nothing but filler. Pasture should be the primary source of total feed.It can most definitely be improved in most cases.

Latest posts