What does your wife drive?

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef":fh585cou said:
a hard bargain
:) :) :) :lol: :lol: :lol: This from a woman who buys her own. Have a ford ranger p.u. '87 2wd and older '83 4wd. 2000 Subaru Forrester for work and trips. Not too uncomfortable for my 6'6" size 15 foot son to ride in. We have several 3/4 and 1 ton p'ups. None newer than 2000 I don't think. Prefer the big trucks but the littler ones get a little better mileage. Forrester gets 25 avg., it's the only automatic we have. We usually take a truck when we go most places but I "run" errands etc in the car.
If I never drove a truck, we wouldn't get half the work done or cattle to town. My dad said I needed to know how to drive anything with wheels in case of an emergency, and learning to drive a shift was MANDATORY. Just in case.....Have a friend who can't drive a shift and it has been a real problem for them and now she says she's too old to learn.... :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

ez14":381w1atj said:
A pickup truck is a mans vehicle a woman should drive a car or van or suv just not a truck :!:

And thats just when you let her leave the house. She really don't even need a vehicle since all she does is cook and clean. Are you any kin to a guy that used to be here named arkansas?

04 Tahoe with low miles, with luck she won't start thinking about it being 12 yrs old. :secret:

Ez, I have no words.

Craig Miller":3fpazrl7 said:
ez14":3fpazrl7 said:
A pickup truck is a mans vehicle a woman should drive a car or van or suv just not a truck :!:

And thats just when you let her leave the house. She really don't even need a vehicle since all she does is cook and clean. Are you any kin to a guy that used to be here named arkansas?
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mine drives a F250 King Ranch, you should see some of the looks she gets when all 105 lbs of her comes bouncing out of it. She can back a trailer and drive a tractor as good as any man out there.

farmerjan":3k0snxh6 said:
dieselbeef":3k0snxh6 said:
a hard bargain
:) :) :) :lol: :lol: :lol: This from a woman who buys her own. Have a ford ranger p.u. '87 2wd and older '83 4wd. 2000 Subaru Forrester for work and trips. Not too uncomfortable for my 6'6" size 15 foot son to ride in. We have several 3/4 and 1 ton p'ups. None newer than 2000 I don't think. Prefer the big trucks but the littler ones get a little better mileage. Forrester gets 25 avg., it's the only automatic we have. We usually take a truck when we go most places but I "run" errands etc in the car.
If I never drove a truck, we wouldn't get half the work done or cattle to town. My dad said I needed to know how to drive anything with wheels in case of an emergency, and learning to drive a shift was MANDATORY. Just in case.....Have a friend who can't drive a shift and it has been a real problem for them and now she says she's too old to learn.... :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

She sounds like a lady I saw at the local doughnut shop about 10 years ago. I was sitting there having breakfast with my father and two children when I saw her in the drive-through lane with a big long crew cab pickup pulling a two-horse bumper pull trailer. I saw a guy walk out and briefly speak to her and didn't think anything of it until I saw her start trying to back up. I realized that the trailer wouldn't go under the awning over the drive-through, and the guy was probably pointing that out to her. There wasn't room to go around the awning, and there was a curve coming up it, that she was already into. She'd start to back up, and immediately turn the wheel the wrong way. With that short trailer it didn't take long for it to get wrong, so she'd pull forward and try again, and make the same mistake. I watched that for a few minutes and finally couldn't stand it any more. I walked up to the driver's side door and she rolled down the window. She didn't say "Hello", or "Hi, my name is...". The first words out of her mouth were "Can you back this thing out of here?" I replied that I thought I could, so she got out and let me in. After I got her backed out and straightened out she remarked that her friends had been telling her she should get out in an open pasture and practice backing up. I said "Yes, ma'am, that's probably a good idea."

when we had small kids she had a Chrysler mini van, as they got older she went to a Dodge Durango then down to a Chrysler Pacifica then when it was just us she wanted a Honda accord . its a good car but about time for her to get another one. she told me the other day that she would just as soon me go get another truck and give her mine. I'm seriously thinking about it.

EZ14 you will be a lonely man with that attitude .

Craig Miller":31tkazz7 said:
ez14":31tkazz7 said:

:nod: :nod:

No im just joking about letting her leave the house and only cooking and cleaning :lol: :lol: but the truck thing i guess its just because thats just what i've seen growing up my mom and grandmas drive cars vans or suvs (Because thats what they like to drive) and my dad and grandpa drive trucks so for me thats just the normal way dont even see many girls in town driving trucks

My daughters pickup
She wants a 4 door but I ain't buying her anything with a backseat ;-)

@Rafter S ; can appreciate the backing up thing. But in the opposite way. I had to learn to drive and backup the standard shift pickup with the 2 horse trailer when I was learning to drive cuz daddy said if I owned it I needed to know how to use it. Learned to change the oil and change a tire too. Still can if I have to but don't want to much. Anyway, after moving to VA was at the stockyards one day a few years ago,and after unloading whatever I had brought in pulled the truck/trailer up and parked. Headed to the unloading docks to see what else was coming in and talk to some guys I knew and there were these 2 older guys w a truck and stock trailer about 20 ft. long and they were trying to back up to the spot. He couldn't get it right to save his life. One of the farmers I knew called out, hey you want one of us to help? and the guy said sure, I've never been any good at this. So Jim said okay, then looked at me and said "go do it for him so we can get the rest of the trucks in the line unloaded!!!!!"
Most of the other guys were just smirking behind their hands while waiting to get their weigh tickets and stuff, so I said okay, went up to the guy and said if you want maybe I can do it for you. He looked like I was from Mars, but got out and so did the guy riding with him. (ha ha). I got in fixed the seat so I could see out the mirrors, pulled up a bit, got a better angle and backed it in. One of the guys helped to get me stopped since the sun was bright and hard to see and I had never driven that truck before. Got out and the guy who owned the truck just looked at me and said thanks. I think he was embarrassed . I never would have offered if Jim hadn't said for me to do it as I know how guys egos are. But I was so thankful that I had learned and didn't screw up with "the whole world watching". I was alot better with a bumper pull than a gooseneck cuz that's what I learned on but now hardly ever pull a bumper pull. I taught my son to drive a stick shift in the hayfield when we picking up loose hay and then square bales. He'd say mom what if I mess up. I'd say, well the worst you can do is hit the fence but we're not that close, so you'll get the feel of the clutch, just don't give it too much gas and if it stalls, just put your foot in on the clutch and start it again. He is a much better driver w the trailer than I am now, but we did alot of practice back then. :) :) :)

My going to town vehicle is a 2007 Lincoln MKX (pretty much the same as the Ford Edge). My husband always bugs me since it's the first vehicle I've ever bought and he says I'm not allowed to 'downgrade' with the next one. I bought it used almost 4 years ago - went to the dealership intending to buy a newer used Ford Escape. Salesman convinced me to test drive something else 'just for fun'. Once I sat inside there was really no choice in my mind. The interior and construction of it was miles above the Escape. Plus it was less $$$ than the Escape. I've had to replace 3 of the 4 wheel bearings, but other than that it has not given me a lick of trouble. It's decent on fuel without being gutless. I love it. Before that Blaine had bought me a Pontiac G6 car and it was a nice car to drive, but I doubt I'll ever own another car. It'll be an SUV or a truck.

Honestly though I would be happy with anything. I am just as comfortable driving one of the farm trucks (there is 4 that we use on a regular basis). I even do ok with the 6 speed dually pulling a trailer. Big hills with a load on intimidate me a little, but I can do it if I have to. And I can back it up if I have to, but it might take me a couple tries. Where we used to load animals out of you had to back down a hill and around a curve. The trail was wide enough for one vehicle. If you cut too sharp you'd back into the sidehill. If you went too wide you went over the edge and usually needed a tractor to pull you out. Guys that pull a trailer regularly would come to pick up bulls and have trouble backing down that hill. One time a girl showed up to pick up a bull one time with a stick shift - she was one of the VERY few people that got it right on the first try. The whole setup was a PITA.

I didn't learn to drive until I was almost 20 (not because my parents didn't want me to or try to force me to, but I was a rather stubborn child when I wanted to be).

I drive a Dodge Durango, not in love with it, but generally pretty happy with it. It has the 5.9l engine so it has enough power for most things. Towing is were it has the most shortcomings, the transmission just isn't really up to towing our work trailer. I had hoped it would be. I wanted something that has substantial interior cargo space but that's still small enough to not have to park in the back 40 like we do with the crew cab dually.

EZ14, she drives a 4x4 flat bed dually grocery shopping, that is when I let her leave the house. But we're thinking her next vehicle is going to be a Carbon Cub.

2013 Dodge Dart with more bells and whistles than I can figure out. Been a good one so far except the transmission was replaced under warranty at less than 20,000 miles. She drives it tho, like she's on the brickyard at Indy.
Before that it was 2 of these over the course of 10 years:

2016 Honda Accord. Tried to buy her a new F150 crew cab FX4. But she likes a car so the way I look at it I saved $25k. And she's happy.

Latest posts