So what does the top hinge look like?

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks about as practical as those old bull **** grinders kids used to play with.
Welcome to the forums MR. Goldberg!

What is the purpose of it--to make the gate self closing?
As the pivot point on the bottom shift off to one side, as the gate opens, the far end of the gate would have to raise up, making it want to pivot back to center, or so it seems to me.
Is this what is called a rising gate hinge?

Could the gate post be maybe ten foot above the ground and have a cable attached to it and the end of the gate to hold it up.
I considered this as well, as I have seen 'bump gates' made that way back when I was young.

I "think', the top hinge is maybe just a regular strap hinge with some slack in the hole to allow the bottom of the gate to shift off a few degrees on the vertical plane, which would raise the far end of the gate as it is opened.
Anyone who has put up a gate with L pins and not gotten them perfectly aligned in the vertical plane knows what I am talking about. A traditional hinged gate:
hinge.jpg

What is the purpose of it--to make the gate self closing?
As the pivot point on the bottom shift off to one side, as the gate opens, the far end of the gate would have to raise up, making it want to pivot back to center, or so it seems to me.
Is this what is called a rising gate hinge?
Yes is is a rising or "uphill" gate hinge. It has a single pin that is pointed upward at the top.

Entrance-Gates-10_zpscvie04u3.jpg

I understand the reason, it gravity assist the gate into the closed position.
But I install my gate hinges for level when closed and latched, and for a slight downhill when open. Since I don't always have a gate opener with me, it helps the gate stay open in the wind while I drive through.
Mine don't need help staying closed because they're latched.

What keeps it from just falling off the pins if the top is mirror image of the bottom?

double hinged gate
I don't know...but i can see my bull pushing the bottom of the gate out!....so the top hinge needs to not only "hold" but keep the gate vertical at all times...lol, Probably not going to happen.

Nope not impressed with the single pin at top with angular-gravity ..."float", i call it bottom hinge. Someone thought it a cool invention....cattle can lift that gate off the hinges....at minimum, they needed the top pin support to be facing downward.
*** Loved the nice construction of the heavy duty wood fence*** Very well thought out an designed.****

The purpose is to allow the gate to swing into a slope without hitting the ground.. the shift to the inside pin lifts the end of the gate. I've never seen it but I'm impressed.
As far as the gate installation and fence not so much. Any gate hung without using a welder is hung wrong.

The reason I originally asked about this.........
a. Someone posted the video of it and I'd never seen one before. Research showed they are fairly popular in UK and parts of western Europe as 'garden' gates and on sheep farms. Every vendor I saw that sold them was located outside North America. But none the less, I had trouble believing the top hinge could look anything like the bottom hinge and the gate still stand...
b. I (in my new suburban surroundings) have a county code requirement that all my walk in gates be "self closing and self latching" (among other things) because I have a backyard swimming pool. (To keep younguns from just wandering in and drowning) so I wondered if this were an option. But I had already installed spring hinges on all 3 gates so it was more an academic thought than a serious pondering.

Latest posts