What do you think?

Help Support CattleToday:

ez14.

Reaction score
I've always wanted to work for myself and I'm starting to think it might be the time to try it.

I've been thinking about buying a older 3500 diesel truck and a flatbed trailer and trying to make a living hauling loads for people. Just wondering how feasible that would really be? You think there would be enough work around for something like that? Also would like to get a livestock trailer after I recoup some of my money and haul loads of animals.

So you think I could do it?

I've always wanted to work for myself and I'm starting to think it might be the time to try it.

I've been thinking about buying a older 3500 diesel truck and a flatbed trailer and trying to make a living hauling loads for people. Just wondering how feasible that would really be? You think there would be enough work around for something like that? Also would like to get a livestock trailer after I recoup some of my money and haul loads of animals.

The son of my Feed Guy has just started doing this and so far he is doing ok. He asked me last week about helping him collect 24k he was owed by some big feed-lots up north.

How old are you now EZ? I might have a suggestion for you.

If you're going to take a swing at doing this for a living.
Don't go to old with your equipment.
Breakdowns can cost you more than new equipment in a hurry. And people can be hesitant about hiring someone with old dilapidated equipment. Your going to need commercial insurance and it doesn't take much of a trailer behind a 3500 to put you in CDL requirements. Get set up right and be willing to put most of profit into paying for equipment at first. Blue sky will come sooner if you start up right.

What Fence says is good advice. Are you talking hotshot trucking all over or trying to stay local? I do a little bit of more local stuff, mostly cattle. It is ok money, not get rich money as are most things. I enjoy it the most of all the things I do though. It can take a while to build up a client list depending on your area and reputation but keep after it and just know you may have to do some side hustle to make it all work til you get there.

What Fence says is good advice. Are you talking hotshot trucking all over or trying to stay local? I do a little bit of more local stuff, mostly cattle. It is ok money, not get rich money as are most things. I enjoy it the most of all the things I do though. It can take a while to build up a client list depending on your area and reputation but keep after it and just know you may have to do some side hustle to make it all work til you get there.
Would be willing to take local or long distance loads as long as I was able to stay busy

A lot of stuff is moving here on 3500's, 4500's and goosenecks. Up and down the coast. I had a piece of equipment delivered that way and the guy said he was maxed out.

Would be willing to take local or long distance loads as long as I was able to stay busy
If your talking long distance you definitely have a lot more hoops to jump thru. You will want better equipment also. There is plenty of work and probably better money in the long distance hotshotting but you got to have your ducks in a row and comply with DOT regulations. You can see some country and meet some cool people but it is life on the road make no mistake about it. The nice thing is you get your self set up and you get in with a dispatch company and they will keep you loaded and that keeps you paid. It doesn't take as long to get business built up.

If your single, like to hustle and like to travel it can be a great way to get paid to see the country. Go buy as nice a FORD truck as you can afford, it will be your house, and a good trailer. Keep plenty of spare tires and watch out for lot lizards!

I see and talk to hot shotters all the time at the fuel pump. Most usually with a dually Dodge and extra fuel tanks.

Multiple revenue streams are important. Another thing to consider is a couple unions equipment operator or lineman or anything that we will use some of this infrastructure money on. Those jobs will be secure for a good while, and the pay is good. By the time those jobs are no longer secure, if ever, you would have enough seniority to get first pick anyway. Unions are the working man's democracy. Anything the federal government puts money towards must pay prevailing wage.

I expect I will now catch some flack for extolling the virtues of the labor unions.

I would give this advice to any young person.

If your talking long distance you definitely have a lot more hoops to jump thru. You will want better equipment also. There is plenty of work and probably better money in the long distance hotshotting but you got to have your ducks in a row and comply with DOT regulations. You can see some country and meet some cool people but it is life on the road make no mistake about it. The nice thing is you get your self set up and you get in with a dispatch company and they will keep you loaded and that keeps you paid. It doesn't take as long to get business built up.

If your single, like to hustle and like to travel it can be a great way to get paid to see the country. Go buy as nice a FORD truck as you can afford, it will be your house, and a good trailer. Keep plenty of spare tires and watch out for lot lizards!
You meant Chevy you spelled it entirely wrong but that's okay I'll help you out. 😝 He may like lot lizards. 🤣🤷🏽‍♀️

Be like @kenny thomas and just don't sleep.
Can sleep when I'm dead.
Sitting in Winchester VA now. Brought up a trailer and gotta take one back. Should get home by a late bedtime. Tomorrow I work for an auction company.auctioning 2 pieces of land then to cattle market. Sunday night pull a trailer to South Carolina near Myrtle Beach. If I only his age again I could do lots more.

Latest posts