What do you call Alpha-mannosidosis or Developmental Duplication Testing?

Help Support CattleToday:

Humble Henry

Reaction score
Is it just genetic disease testing?
What does everyone know it as?
I've heard of Recesive Haplotype testing, Genetic recessive testing, DNA testing for disease, but if I'm gonna purchase it what is it commonly known as?

I had not heard of Alpha Mannosidosis before, so I looked it up. Both that and Developmental Duplication (DD) are recessive genetic conditions, meaning in order to be expressed, the animal must receive the gene from both their sire and Dam. There are tests that can be done to identify carriers of both. Zoetis is able to test for both. Neogen can do the DD test, but I don't know about the other. You will need to collect a blood or hair sample and send it into the lab. The test for DD is $22 through American Angus. 816-383-5100

DD was identified in a very popular Angus sire. Although it is a recessive it is not always expressed even when in the homozygous state. There are apparently other factors involved. Normally when two carriers of a recessive trait are mated to each other, ¼ of their offspring will express that trait. With DD that is not always true and there have been many animals identified as homozygous for DD who appear 100% normal. The defect, when expressed, often appears as an extra limb. If you have registered Angus cattle who have the potential for this defect, their pedigree will be marked DDP meaning Developmental Duplication Potential. Animals tested as carriers (meaning they carry a single gene) will be marked as "C" and those tested and found to be free of a defect will show "F". Never buy a registered bull marked as "P" or "C". Animals with no potential for an identified defect will not have a notation.

The Alpha Mannosidois defect was identified in Angus, Murray Grey and Galloway cattle in New Zealand. It apparently has also been found in North America, but I don't think it is very common here. I have not heard of it being identified in any registered American Angus cattle, but I suppose it is possible.

MA as been found in red and black angus in North America. Recently from a few popular Canadian lines. I have a carrier in my herd (lucky me) but with testing I can monitor her calves for the carrier state and avoid issues.

mpassmore85":3mgse8n9 said:
So uncommon as to ignore it. Are you a pure bred breeder of a certain breed?
I have Red Angus. And where did I say I am ignoring it? I know she is a carrier and I test her calves. I don't breed her to carrier bulls. I will NEVER sell a carrier calf as breeding stock. There is no earthly reason in this day and age to knock a good cow in the head for this. I would hardly say I am ignoring her carrier status. I'm making sure she doesn't perpetuate the problem while maintaining the rest of the bloodline. Why throw the baby out with the bath water?

I will also add that the sire was not a known carrier of MA when I chose to use him. That issue came to light after the calf was on the ground.

I wasn't accusing you of doing something wrong at all. She is a good cow that's peachy.
Anything she has is essentially hamburger tray what you want to keep

"Anything she has is essentially hamburger tray what you want to keep"
A carrier cow has a 50/50 chance of producing a non-carrier calf. If the calf is tested negative for the trait, then there is no reason to hamburg it. Negative means negative for life.